Speculation: 2020 off season roster musings

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012

Blues reporter said he wants more than Josi. 9.25

Strickland is being used by the Blues front office to spin the narrative. Rutherford is in direct contact with Petro and reported the "less than Josi" numbers. Who knows which side is being more truthful? We'll find out in a few weeks.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
I'm on board with most, if not all of this. Whomever runs our power play, Spott or Craig, needs to be relieved of those duties.

Unfortunately, I think Nosek is the odd man out. Him & Cousins are both UFAs, but reading the tea leaves, it seemed like PDB preferred Cousins. Not exactly clear why, as Cousins doesn't do anything well.

Would rather have Dillon than DeMelo, but I won't split hairs. Just curious (not that it really matters), but how much are we paying DeMelo & for how long?

I've seen most guesses for DeMelo be 3-3.5 million for four years. I think the low end of that is reasonable. I thought of either Dillon or DeMelo because of their experience with Deboer. Dillon might cost more but we should still have the cap.

I assumed Cousins would be priced out even if they preferred him.

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Elliotte Friedman seems to think Vegas is now the frontrunner for Pietrangelo. Call it a hunch but I wouldn't be surprised if St Louis gave him permission to talk to other clubs in a week to work on a possible sign & trade at the draft.

Something like 8mx8 with a 3 team trade clause, and big signing bonuses in years 3-5.

The Duck Knight

Feb 6, 2012
Elliotte Friedman seems to think Vegas is now the frontrunner for Pietrangelo. Call it a hunch but I wouldn't be surprised if St Louis gave him permission to talk to other clubs in a week to work on a possible sign & trade at the draft.

Something like 8mx8 with a 3 team trade clause, and big signing bonuses in years 3-5.

The sticking point with St. Louis has been a full NMC and signing bonuses the last 2 years. He's trying to buy out proof his contract at the end of the deal.

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019

Florida fan: who do you move out to make this work? You don't have any clear contracts on D that should be moved to open up some space and your forwards are signed. It looks like a contract would be between 8M-9M, which puts you over by about 4M with the need to sign a couple other forwards cheap.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Florida fan: who do you move out to make this work? You don't have any clear contracts on D that should be moved to open up some space and your forwards are signed. It looks like a contract would be between 8M-9M, which puts you over by about 4M with the need to sign a couple other forwards cheap.

McNabb, Fleury, Stastny and even Marchy are all players i would consider moving.

The hardest to move is definitely going to be Fleury.

Last edited:

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
McNabb, Fleury, Stastny and even Marchy are all players i would consider moving.

The hardest to move is definitely going to be Fleury.
Interesting: I can understand the first two. Stastny has a lot of value in this environment given the dearth of 2C's, but wouldn't that leave in a giant hole in your line-up?

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Interesting: I can understand the first two. Stastny has a lot of value in this environment given the dearth of 2C's, but wouldn't that leave in a giant hole in your line-up?

Tuch plays on the third line when a top six role is where he belongs and Marchessault spot is the place to put him.

Stastny does create a spot that Vegas would have to hope Glass can fill. He looked good the rare times he would be played at center and not with Eakin. He has spent his injured time building more muscle which he sorely needed. I'm confident he can make the step but it's a risk no doubt.

Reactions: violaswallet

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
I read in another forum Lebrun suggested that Vegas could solve Toronto's defense problem while clearing the path for signing Pietrangelo.
He said Vegas cold trade Schmidt to Toronto (don't know if he said for what) and sign Pierangelo. McNabb would act as Pietrangelo's Bouwmeester.

blues80

Dec 10, 2018
Only St Louis can sign him to an 8 year deal (before a trade). All other teams can only sign max 7.
I am a stl fan this petro stuff is simple he wants bouneses and Armstrong never wants to give any player anything petros top team is the blues don't kid urself he said he doesn't want to move his shit I think Armstrong will give it to him at the last minute sorry I guys are getting drug into this

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
We benefit from a Tampa win in game 6 because that means free agency starts the day before the draft not the day after. It would help us in seeing who we can get before possibly making draft day trades.

The Duck Knight

Feb 6, 2012
We benefit from a Tampa win in game 6 because that means free agency starts the day before the draft not the day after. It would help us in seeing who we can get before possibly making draft day trades.

The Draft is the 6/7th and free agency starts the 9th no matter what.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
The sticking point with St. Louis has been a full NMC and signing bonuses the last 2 years. He's trying to buy out proof his contract at the end of the deal.

The trade list only needs to be in the 1st year to facilitate the trade.

If one were to read into Friedman's comments, and one were to believe in the conspiracy that there's been significant tampering going on (which I do), it may be that Pietrangelo already knows exactly what teams are offering him.

Nothing would surprise me at this point, including a gigantic 9.5m deal from our friends at Newport (who got Karlsson, Skinner and of course Stone their huge deals), Lehner walking, keeping MAF and getting a young goalie.

I don't know if Dubas would go above 7.5m for Petro, and he really shouldn't IMO, but the teams Vegas is competing with are probably Calgary and Colorado. I think Calgary would go as high as 10.5m.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Little less than 2 weeks before free agency starts.

Something needs to happen when it comes to our goaltending.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad