Speculation: 2020 off season roster musings

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
So what do the Knights do if no one on Fleury's list wants to talk trade? It seems like a lot of money to have invested in one position.

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
So what do the Knights do if no one on Fleury's list wants to talk trade? It seems like a lot of money to have invested in one position.

You buy him out. There is no plausible scenario in which both he and Lehner are Knights next year.

But given the fact that Fleury surely wants out I'm sure he'll be flexible. Obviously he's not going to want to go to a bottom feeder or a team that he won't start on, but there are a few playoff teams with a need for a starter.

Brazen331

Jul 18, 2018
VGK is going to have to retain at least 2 million and probably give up something else to boot. Management's fault for grossly overpaying Fleury to begin with.

The Duck Knight

Feb 6, 2012
Is this another Marleau situation where a big pick has to go?

No. The Marleau deal only cost the Leafs a 1st because Carolina had to buy him out. I don't think we'll get much back for him but Fleury will actually play wherever we trade him.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
MAF kind of falls in line with what the Wild have been doing with Staal & Bjugstad. They're not afraid to spend actual money in hopes that a player can rebound, and they probably want a mentor for Kahkonen.

After the round robin Flower put up pretty good numbers in each of the 3 series. Stalock would make a pretty good low cost backup. They also kind of want a C, any C that can play up and down the lineup. After all, they took Bjugstad. Maybe there's a deal to be had there.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018

I believe it's a twenty team list that he can be traded to. He gets to pick ten he won't. There will be someone that would take him at 40% retained. Would be the same as buying him out two years without the extra two years of money on the books.

HotDish

Win it for Hynes
Aug 17, 2020
The State of Hockey
MAF kind of falls in line with what the Wild have been doing with Staal & Bjugstad. They're not afraid to spend actual money in hopes that a player can rebound, and they probably want a mentor for Kahkonen.

After the round robin Flower put up pretty good numbers in each of the 3 series. Stalock would make a pretty good low cost backup. They also kind of want a C, any C that can play up and down the lineup. After all, they took Bjugstad. Maybe there's a deal to be had there.
Wild fan here,

I think there could be a deal(s) with Vegas. However the price might be too much for Vegas to swallow.

Flower Trade

we could absorb Flower’s contract. Stalock would be a cheap option, or you could trade Dubnyk too since he has a pretty cheap buyout. Obviously Stalock is the cheaper option but if Vegas didn’t want the body and just wanted the cap space Dubnyk would be easy to handle.

now what would Minnesota want in return. Well they need Centers. More importantly they need young centers with high upside. I would guess they would target Krebs or Glass. I completely understand if they are untouchables, but I think the Wild would view Flower’s cap hit pretty high for what you are getting. For all we know he could be out of gas by next season pretty much needing a buyout. Maybe he will rebound. The Wild would want some insurance.

Dumba Trade?

any chance Vegas is interested in Dumba? I figured there could be some type of trade involving Dumba +assets for maybe Krebs/glass + Stastny. I don’t know how valuable Stastny was to you. I figured the Wild would need to take cap back to make Dumba work, and figured Krebs or Glass(whomever wasn’t traded) would just replace Stastny’s spot.

The Duck Knight

Feb 6, 2012
Wild fan here,

I think there could be a deal(s) with Vegas. However the price might be too much for Vegas to swallow.

Flower Trade

we could absorb Flower’s contract. Stalock would be a cheap option, or you could trade Dubnyk too since he has a pretty cheap buyout. Obviously Stalock is the cheaper option but if Vegas didn’t want the body and just wanted the cap space Dubnyk would be easy to handle.

now what would Minnesota want in return. Well they need Centers. More importantly they need young centers with high upside. I would guess they would target Krebs or Glass. I completely understand if they are untouchables, but I think the Wild would view Flower’s cap hit pretty high for what you are getting. For all we know he could be out of gas by next season pretty much needing a buyout. Maybe he will rebound. The Wild would want some insurance.

Dumba Trade?

any chance Vegas is interested in Dumba? I figured there could be some type of trade involving Dumba +assets for maybe Krebs/glass + Stastny. I don’t know how valuable Stastny was to you. I figured the Wild would need to take cap back to make Dumba work, and figured Krebs or Glass(whomever wasn’t traded) would just replace Stastny’s spot.

Big no on both. We'd be better off buying Fleury out than paying that type of price to move him. What we need on D is a legit #1 who can play all situations and match against top lines.

Reactions: Boris Zubov

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Trade Marchessault, Fleury, McNabb, Cousins get picks.

Sign Lehner, Stephenson, Nosek.

Retain 40% on Fleury.

Pacioretty-Glass-Stone
Smith-Karlsson-Tuch
Stephenson-Stastny-Roy
Carrier-Nosek-Reaves
Elvenes, Dugan, Brown, Quinney, Kolesar, etc.

Martinez-Theodore
Schmidt-DeMelo
Hague/Holden-Whitecloud
Coghlan, Bischoff, etc.

Lehner
Greiss/Mrazek/whatever

Stone probably gets the C but Theodore should. Smith, Schmidt, Pacioretty and Theodore can rotate A's.

Modify Deboer tactics to fit the team better with a sample of time he has had with the team. Fire Spott and change the power play.

Krebs and all prospects eligible go back to junior.

Pick 29, 68* (really 67), 91* (really 90), etc. and any 1st/2nd/3rd round picks accumulated in trades.

*Arizona forfeits pick 49.

HotDish

Win it for Hynes
Aug 17, 2020
The State of Hockey
Big no on both. We'd be better off buying Fleury out than paying that type of price to move him. What we need on D is a legit #1 who can play all situations and match against top lines.
Fair enough, I figured the price would be too hard. Take good care of Whitecloud, I always have a soft spot for Bemidji State players.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Pending UFAs: Nosek, McKensie, Zykov (6); Merrill, Engelland, Megna; Lehner, Sparks

Pending RFAs: Cousins*, Stephenson*, Kolesar, Quinney*, Duke*; Lernout*, Schuldt

Vegas Golden Knights - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Which UFAs will be re-signed? Which will walk? Any retiring?

Will all RFAs be QO'd? Will any of the five select arbitration (only Cousins and Stephenson really could have stats worth going to arbitration)?

What incoming prospects will fill holes in the organizational depth chart? Where will the organization reach outside to find free agents to fill holes?

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
Trade Marchessault, Fleury, McNabb, Cousins get picks.

Sign Lehner, Stephenson, Nosek.

Retain 40% on Fleury.

Pacioretty-Glass-Stone
Smith-Karlsson-Tuch
Stephenson-Stastny-Roy
Carrier-Nosek-Reaves
Elvenes, Dugan, Brown, Quinney, Kolesar, etc.

Martinez-Theodore
Schmidt-DeMelo
Hague/Holden-Whitecloud
Coghlan, Bischoff, etc.

Lehner
Greiss/Mrazek/whatever

Stone probably gets the C but Theodore should. Smith, Schmidt, Pacioretty and Theodore can rotate A's.

Modify Deboer tactics to fit the team better with a sample of time he has had with the team. Fire Spott and change the power play.

Krebs and all prospects eligible go back to junior.

Pick 29, 68* (really 67), 91* (really 90), etc. and any 1st/2nd/3rd round picks accumulated in trades.

*Arizona forfeits pick 49.

Pretty similar to the lines I like, I might put it back to the Gallant era first two lines and have Glass between Tuch and Stephenson. For whatever reason Wild Bill just doesn't produce enough partnering with Stone and Patches, hoping he can find his scoring touch with his old partners provided Marchy isn't traded. I don't know what PDB saw that made him think the new combos made more sense.

Only question I have is on Krebs, I don't think the club gets any benefit for him going back to juniors do they? Isn't he already past his slide year on contract? I'd prefer seeing what he can do with the Silver Knights for a short stint and get him to the big club by mid-season.

Also I think we leave this a bit open to see what the GMs can do with the expansion draft situation. They might want to move Stastny ando/or Marchy to create some space to work with if they can make a deal that takes advantage of someone expecting to lose a player to Seattle.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
Can they afford another Stone-type ('Stoner'?) player?

Not yet, but if Stastny goes then maybe. Really Stone's the only guy in the league who can get paid $9.5m for that skill set because its so good. Karlsson's pay seems more in line with what Stone-type, but not quite Stone-skill, players can get.

Reactions: Mike Jones

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
As a non-VGK fan, I'm wondering what the consensus is on Paul Stastny?

Do you believe he's likely to be dealt (and Cody Glass given a big role), or will Stastny's status be dependent on if the club is able to deal Marc-Andre Fleury?

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
As a non-VGK fan, I'm wondering what the consensus is on Paul Stastny?

Do you believe he's likely to be dealt (and Cody Glass given a big role), or will Stastny's status be dependent on if the club is able to deal Marc-Andre Fleury?
I think they'd love to move him.

The question is if there are any teams that will take his full salary. VGK would either have to retain a little or take back a body and salary. (say some sort of deal where Vegas saves $4m on the cap in the deal).

Reactions: shadow1

The Duck Knight

Feb 6, 2012
Pretty similar to the lines I like, I might put it back to the Gallant era first two lines and have Glass between Tuch and Stephenson. For whatever reason Wild Bill just doesn't produce enough partnering with Stone and Patches, hoping he can find his scoring touch with his old partners provided Marchy isn't traded. I don't know what PDB saw that made him think the new combos made more sense.

Only question I have is on Krebs, I don't think the club gets any benefit for him going back to juniors do they? Isn't he already past his slide year on contract? I'd prefer seeing what he can do with the Silver Knights for a short stint and get him to the big club by mid-season.

Also I think we leave this a bit open to see what the GMs can do with the expansion draft situation. They might want to move Stastny ando/or Marchy to create some space to work with if they can make a deal that takes advantage of someone expecting to lose a player to Seattle.

Krebs isn't old enough for the AHL yet due to the CHL transfer agreement. It's either he's a Knight out of camp or he's back in the WHL.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Who knows with Stastny. It is a seller's market for Cs though. They identified their man in Stone, gave him 9.5m in cap that they didn't have and traded Gusev, Haula Miller and let PEB walk. I'd say it's a safe bet they're willing to move a few players out to make room.

And nevermind what I said about Minnesota and Staal. :confused:

Lots of other news coming out today, don't feel like linking.

Amazing news. I hope this means Engo is back next season.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
With the WJC going ahead, in the bub, it's looking like Krebs will get a head start and go there straight from camp before the NHL season.

Then if the team has an injury after the WJC, maybe they can give him 9 games before deciding to assign him to juniors (or I guess loan to Europe if CHL isn't fully underway). It's possible that the WJC gold medal game could be done before the 1st NHL week is over. This is pretty advantageous.

Last edited:

VEGASKING

Dec 23, 2002
Sin City
www.facebook.com
Cody made of Glass needs to stay healthy. Trade Marchy and you have Tuch in the top 6 where he should be playing although he has his own injury issues also. Trade Stastny and Glass gets hurt and you have a giant hole at 2C with nothing further down the line up or in the system to replace it.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Cody made of Glass needs to stay healthy. Trade Marchy and you have Tuch in the top 6 where he should be playing although he has his own injury issues also. Trade Stastny and Glass gets hurt and you have a giant hole at 2C with nothing further down the line up or in the system to replace it.

Well, Stephenson and Roy aren't exactly nothing but I agree the depth is gone if they trade Stastny without getting another C. I don't see them doing that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad