Management 2020 Off-Season Proposals , trade, sign, kick to curb IV

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Why not extend that goodwill to signing Jake or Chara. Miller should have been a lets see skate in December or whenever they start the camps. Being the very first move by the Bruins was setting the bar for us in hindsight. It was not like he was going to be grabbed by another team.

Extending a PTO would be fair to an oft injured soon to be 33 year old. He has averaged 54 games a year in 7 yrs here. See what he can do and if he can even skate, pivot and take and give a hit. Unless he is being sent to the AHL for a leadership role and be ready if need be as insurance.

I think you missed the point of what good will is.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Well I don't think he was drafted to be a goal scorer. Even if he was a 1st rounder.

Ceiling prob is a #3/#4 center.

Not ideal drafting someone in the first round who is likely going to be a 4th liner. Not sure if that’s a bust or bad drafting. If there were a redraft he’s probably a late 2nd rounder early 3rd from that 2016 draft. 50+ players from that draft have at least recorded one point in the NHL. He’s played 17 games and registered zero. On top of having a pretty mediocre points per game of slightly over .50

Reactions: Gordoff

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
Not ideal drafting someone in the first round who is likely going to be a 4th liner. Not sure if that’s a bust or bad drafting. If there were a redraft he’s probably a late 2nd rounder early 3rd from that 2016 draft. 50+ players from that draft have at least recorded one point in the NHL. He’s played 17 games and registered zero. On top of having a pretty mediocre points per game of slightly over .50
I don't disagree. There's been dozens of threads about Sweeney's draft choices. General consensus is people aren't happy with most of his choices, including Frederic. At this point people should be just hoping Sweeney's picks make the NHL.

He's already drafted, where he was drafted doesn't change the player he is. He was drafted to be a physical player. Obviously anyone would love him to add offense to his game, but I think they want him bring physicality that's highly missed in the Bruins lineup.

I'm not justifying his draft position. Just expectations for a defensive forward are different than an offensive one.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
In 2016, the Bruins traded their 7th round pick for FLA's 7th round pick in 2017. That pick became Victor Berglund. :crossfing

In 2015 the Bruins traded their 5th round pick (#135) the the Minnesota Wild for Minnesota's 5th round pick in 2016.

Minnesota choose Kirill Kaprizov, who at age 22 led the KHL in goals last year and was 3rd overall in points and named by ESPN this past year as the best NHL-affiliated prospect in hockey.

The next year Boston used the pick (#136) they obtained to choose Cameron Clarke, a 20-year old (DOB May 15-1996) draftee who had just completed a season with the Lone Star Brahmas in something called the NAHL before going onto complete 4 unimpressive seasons with Ferris State. The Bruins decided he wasn't worth offering a contract to once he finished college and became a free agent.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
In 2015 the Bruins traded their 5th round pick (#135) the the Minnesota Wild for Minnesota's 5th round pick in 2016.

Minnesota choose Kirill Kaprizov, who at age 22 led the KHL in goals last year and was 3rd overall in points and named by ESPN this past year as the best NHL-affiliated prospect in hockey.

The next year Boston used the pick (#136) they obtained to choose Cameron Clarke, a 20-year old (DOB May 15-1996) draftee who had just completed a season with the Lone Star Brahmas in something called the NAHL before going onto complete 4 unimpressive seasons with Ferris State. The Bruins decided he wasn't worth offering a contract to once he finished college and became a free agent.

That doesn't bother me so much. I don't think it's worth getting too upset over who other teams take with your picks (once your outside the top15) because there's no guarantee the Bruins would have picked the same guy. I mean, the Bruins would never have drafted Kaprizov. The Bruins generally don't draft pure offensive forwards, or Russians for that matter. Great pick by Minnesota though.

If you don't like anybody left in the draft or in that round, why not defer the pick to next year when there's at least a chance there might be someone you like. They whiffed on the pick, but I don't fault the strategy.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
That doesn't bother me so much. I don't think it's worth getting too upset over who other teams take with your picks (once your outside the top15) because there's no guarantee the Bruins would have picked the same guy. I mean, the Bruins would never have drafted Kaprizov. The Bruins generally don't draft pure offensive forwards, or Russians for that matter. Great pick by Minnesota though.

If you don't like anybody left in the draft or in that round, why not defer the pick to next year when there's at least a chance there might be someone you like. They whiffed on the pick, but I don't fault the strategy.

Agree, I doesn't really bother me either. My favorite non-Bruin forward of the past decade is Jamie Benn and he was technically chosen with a Bruins pick. And your right, the Bruins would of never ever drafted Kaprizov. I just found it a little piece of trivia that I never realized until a few weeks ago.

I will say the Bruins are showing a propensity to drafting overage players which I don't understand.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
Well I don't think he was drafted to be a goal scorer. Even if he was a 1st rounder.

Ceiling prob is a #3/#4 center.

Frederic is a weird case.

When he was drafted he was the 4th line center on a stacked USANTDP, so he played a more defensive role, but before the draft, at the World Under 18's he was a point per game. After he was drafted he went to Wisconsin where he was a point per game as an 18 year old. He was named an Assistant Captain at Wisconsin as a sophomore, and he put up 5 goals in 7 games at the WJC that year, and even put up 5 goals in his first 13 games in Providence. So as a 19 year old he scored 27 goals in 56 games across the NCAA, WJC and AHL. At that point, he was looking very much like a goal scorer to me. A big, strong skating, physical, two-way goal scorer.

Then he went to Providence and for whatever reason, the goals and the offense didn't come at the same rate as before. I know folks that watched every game said last year in particular was frustrating, that he got tons of chances but must have led the league in posts and crossbars... I don't know, but I'm still hopeful he can be a strong middle6 player for Boston in a year or two.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008

When he was drafted he was the 4th line center on a stacked USANTDP, so he played a more defensive role, but before the draft, at the World Under 18's he was a point per game. After he was drafted he went to Wisconsin where he was a point per game as an 18 year old. He was named an Assistant Captain at Wisconsin as a sophomore, and he put up 5 goals in 7 games at the WJC that year, and even put up 5 goals in his first 13 games in Providence. So as a 19 year old he scored 27 goals in 56 games across the NCAA, WJC and AHL. At that point, he was looking very much like a goal scorer to me. A big, strong skating, physical, two-way goal scorer.

Then he went to Providence and for whatever reason, the goals and the offense didn't come at the same rate as before. I know folks that watched every game said last year in particular was frustrating, that he got tons of chances but must have led the league in posts and crossbars... I don't know, but I'm still hopeful he can be a strong middle6 player for Boston in a year or two.
The commonality between middle 6 center and bottom 6 center is the #3 center spot.

Maybe he has #2 potential, I'm ok with hope. But I still think his ceiling is #3 if he can find some offense. Otherwise, he'll likely be a 4th liner.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

I remember he scored 4 goals in the bronze medal game against the Czechs and looked every bit the power forward/sniper.

He's got a very nice quick release and seems to get consistent velocity on it. His forehand "one-timer' is impressive not everyone can do that.

EDIT: Here's the video:

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
Agree, I doesn't really bother me either. My favorite non-Bruin forward of the past decade is Jamie Benn and he was technically chosen with a Bruins pick. And your right, the Bruins would of never ever drafted Kaprizov. I just found it a little piece of trivia that I never realized until a few weeks ago.

I will say the Bruins are showing a propensity to drafting overage players which I don't understand.

Overage players and USHL players seem to be the focus. I don't mind them focusing on USNTDP players, because that's a great program... I wonder if that has led them to have more eyes on the USHL.

With regard to overage players, I wonder if they think there's less risk there. They're a year further along in their development so you can see if they're heading in the right direction. They should be a bit more physical developed so you can tell if they're serious about that part of their development... Maybe all that suggests less risk (and less upside).

They didn't have a 1st round pick this year, and maybe they though they'd have a better chance of getting an NHL player out of this draft.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
The commonality between middle 6 center and bottom 6 center is the #3 center spot.

Maybe he has #2 potential, I'm ok with hope. But I still think his ceiling is #3 if he can find some offense. Otherwise, he'll likely be a 4th liner.

Yeah, I don't see #2C potential, but I think he could be a complimentary 2nd line wing. I'm hoping he has Coyle-like upside and versatility, 3c/2LW.

Reactions: WhalerTurnedBruin55

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Overage players and USHL players seem to be the focus. I don't mind them focusing on USNTDP players, because that's a great program... I wonder if that has led them to have more eyes on the USHL.

With regard to overage players, I wonder if they think there's less risk there. They're a year further along in their development so you can see if they're heading in the right direction. They should be a bit more physical developed so you can tell if they're serious about that part of their development... Maybe all that suggests less risk (and less upside).

They didn't have a 1st round pick this year, and maybe they though they'd have a better chance of getting an NHL player out of this draft.

I'd love to see some stats on overage draftees making and succeeding in the NHL.

It is less risky as you pointed out they are further along in their development, closer to men than boys/teenagers.

I'd also say safe is death when it comes to drafting. Draft choices are basically lottery tickets given the luck involved and you can find great players all over the draft. The Bruins philosophy seems to be the equivalent of buying a bunch of $1 lottery tickets on a draw for $100k, rather than going for broke and shelling out for the $10 ticket that could win you a million bucks.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
To get the thread back on track...

I feel like there is a deal to be made between Boston and Carolina. Look at their defense...

Slavin
Hamilton (UFA to be)
Pesce
Skjei
Fleury
Bean

They can’t protect all of them in an expansion draft. Skjei and Pesce are both 25, Fleury and Bean were Really high draft picks that I doubt they want to expose. Skjei in particular seems like a good fit. Big, fast, physical...

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
To get the thread back on track...

I feel like there is a deal to be made between Boston and Carolina. Look at their defense...

Slavin
Hamilton (UFA to be)
Pesce
Skjei
Fleury
Bean

They can’t protect all of them in an expansion draft. Skjei and Pesce are both 25, Fleury and Bean were Really high draft picks that I doubt they want to expose. Skjei in particular seems like a good fit. Big, fast, physical...

I see three problems with Skjei.

1) The price to acquire. Carolina gave up a 1st rounder to acquire him just 8 months ago. They aren't about to give him away.

2) Expensive. That's a pretty steep cap hit for what he brings. He's a decent player but is he a guy you want to commit to for 4 more years at a fairly significant cap hit? I wouldn't.

3) Do you protect him in the expansion draft? Well if you do it's at the expense of Gryz or one of the other younger (and cheaper) guys like Lauzon or Zboril.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com

1) The price to acquire. Carolina gave up a 1st rounder to acquire him just 8 months ago. They aren't about to give him away.

2) Expensive. That's a pretty steep cap hit for what he brings. He's a decent player but is he a guy you want to commit to for 4 more years at a fairly significant cap hit? I wouldn't.

3) Do you protect him in the expansion draft? Well if you do it's at the expense of Gryz or one of the other younger (and cheaper) guys like Lauzon or Zboril.

I may have a higher opinion of him than you, because I answer those first two questions in the affirmative...

Yes, I’d give up a first or first equivalent (Vaak) for him.

I think $5.25 is a bargain for a 26 year old top pair defenseman who brings size, skating, physical play and a little offense. Skjei-McAvoy could be an awesome pair.

Issue 3 is the real bugaboo for me, but I don’t see a lot of 1yr UFA d options.

Last edited:

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I may have a higher opinion of him than you, because I answer those first two questions in the affirmative...

Yes, I’d give up a first or first equivalent (Vaak) for him.

I think $5.25 is a bargain for a 26 year old top pair defenseman who brings size, skating, physical play and a little offense. Skjei-McAvoy could be an awesome pair.

Issue 3 is the real bugaboo for me, but I don’t see a lot of 1yr UFA d options.

I think that is the difference. I don't see him as a top pair D-man, at all. If he was I don't think the Rangers, a team loaded with right-handed guys but not left-shot guys, deal him. I think Carolina made them a deal they couldn't refuse.

He had a very nice year in 2016-17 in a reduced role.

Since then he's gotten more minutes and his production and numbers have gone south. Not a good trend. In my viewings he's never been all that impressive. He's a 2nd pair D-man I guess. He's not a horse I'm hitching my wagon to if I'm the Bruins.

All due respect I think we have a very different opinion on this player.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: PlayMakers

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
Here are some of the UFA-to-be defenseman in 2021. These are guys you could acquire and not have to protect in the expansion draft. I suspect if Sweeney can't get a deal done by training camp, these are some of the guys he'll be looking at come the deadline...

Alex Edler
Marc Staal
Hjalmarsson
Ryan Murray
Brendan Smith
Alec Martinez
Patrik Nemeth
Jake McCabe
Jamie Okeksiak

Wish we could have got Ryan Murray when he was available for peanuts.

Oleksiak could be a great Chara replacement next summer.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut

I'll have to see if I can find the post, but I had looked at the last 10-15 years of picks around where Frederix was picked. IIRC the FWD's that became NHL regulars ended up being 35-40pt players.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Here are some of the UFA-to-be defenseman in 2021. These are guys you could acquire and not have to protect in the expansion draft. I suspect if Sweeney can't get a deal done by training camp, these are some of the guys he'll be looking at come the deadline...

Alex Edler
Marc Staal
Hjalmarsson
Ryan Murray
Brendan Smith
Alec Martinez
Patrik Nemeth
Jake McCabe
Jamie Okeksiak

Wish we could have got Ryan Murray when he was available for peanuts.

Oleksiak could be a great Chara replacement next summer.

Murray has to many health issues and only played a full season once. Outside of that year he struggles to play 60+ a year.

Reactions: bbfan419

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household

I’m in the middle of your assessment and Playmaker’s of Skjei. I don’t think he’s a legit top pair guy, but I think he fits what the Bruins need pretty perfectly.

As for 3) ? Protect 4/4. I don’t think we have more than 5 forwards that would really hurt to lose in expansion. Top line/Coyle and the 4 defencemen. I’m okay with that.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
I'll have to see if I can find the post, but I had looked at the last 10-15 years of picks around where Frederix was picked. IIRC the FWD's that became NHL regulars ended up being 35-40pt players.

I would be stunned if he became a 40 point player in the NHL. He’s slightly over .50 ppg in the AHL right now never mind what that will be in the NHL.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
I would be stunned if he became a 40 point player in the NHL. He’s slightly over .50 ppg in the AHL right now never mind what that will be in the NHL.

Oh I'm not saying he will either, I'm just saying what the pick range (on averages) produces if a FWD actually hits. IDK that something like 10G/25A is a crazy number for Frederic in a bottom 5 role though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad