2020 Off Season Discussion Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Wasn't the idea previously floated that rosters would be expanded to 25 because if the compressed schedule and COVID risks? I'd assume if they did that those roster spots would be cap exempt.
Lets see how waivers work. Because the covid expanded roster will be paid at AHL salary. Cap doesn't work at all unless this is the case.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
At this point I wouldn't mind them just scrubbing the season as long as it counts as a year for contracts and the draft. This way when we start playing again, we start out fresh.

Reactions: AZviaNJ

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
At this point I wouldn't mind them just scrubbing the season as long as it counts as a year for contracts and the draft. This way when we start playing again, we start out fresh.
It’s a nice fantasy. All of our UFAs suddenly gone. The draft with the missing picks is over. We magically have all the cap space and all the picks. And all it costs is waiting some extra months.

Sm00chy

Sep 29, 2017
Given how much of a lame-duck, throw-away season this seems to be, they’ll probably make the playoffs and everyone in a contract year will get an extension. Lol.
Would that be a bad thing? Isn't that the goal of every team in the NHL? Just make it to the playoffs and anything can happen.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
Would that be a bad thing? Isn't that the goal of every team in the NHL? Just make it to the playoffs and anything can happen.
Contract extensions for the que sera sera vets is the downside that he was highlighting. That would be very bad.
If we make the playoffs AND bring in new vets and coaches, then we should all happy.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
I'm hoping the NHLPA doesn't help renegotiate. If the salary give-back this season doesn't change then the salary cap will be lower for longer. That will definitely help the Coyotes in their rebuild. There would be a lot of teams pressed hard against the cap. The UFA market and the trade market would both be tilted in our favour.
Yes, after this season (if there is a season) it will feel like old times with LOTS of cap space.

Sm00chy

Sep 29, 2017
Contract extensions for the que sera sera vets is the downside that he was highlighting. That would be very bad.
If we make the playoffs AND bring in new vets and coaches, then we should all happy.
For arguments sake... if the Vets on expiring deals have bounce back years and lead this team to a playoff run. Would extensions on those Vets be the wrong move?

Say Stepan nets 15g and 15a in a shortened 52 game schedule. Do you want to bring him back?

Reactions: Name Nameless

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
For arguments sake... if the Vets on expiring deals have bounce back years and lead this team to a playoff run. Would extensions on those Vets be the wrong move?

Say Stepan nets 15g and 15a in a shortened 52 game schedule. Do you want to bring him back?
Stepan - no
Goligoski - no
Demers - no
Kessel - god no (but we're stuck with him for an add'l year anyway)
Hammer - yes on a team friendly 1-2 year deal.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I’d re-sign Hjarlmarsson with the caveat he can be exposed in expansion draft. Let his agent lobby seattle for him not wanting to move. If that doesnt work then hold off until post expansion draft.

Reactions: AZviaNJ

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
Stepan - no
Goligoski - no
Demers - no
Kessel - god no (but we're stuck with him for an add'l year anyway)
Hammer - yes on a team friendly 1-2 year deal.
Stepan- Don't really want him back as he's not a culture fit. But our C depth is very poor so if he'll sign for 3C money I wouldn't hate it. It's better than having Dvorak Hayton Schmaltz Larsson as Cs

Goligoski - No, not a culture fit IMO. I'd rather have Demers back.

Demers - We need RS FA dmen, so as a fall back option I'm okay with it at the right price. Seems more like a goofball than someone who is checked out. His personality seems like Biz's. I don't think other players look at him as a leader unlike Stepan and Goligoski.

Hammer - I'm very in favor of bringing him back in a 3rd line role. Has to be a team friendly deal. And only 1 year. He could be broken and useless after one more season. Would be a good role model and potential partner for Soderstrom.

Reactions: Neighborhood Coyote

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
Stepan- Don't really want him back as he's not a culture fit. But our C depth is very poor so if he'll sign for 3C money I wouldn't hate it. It's better than having Dvorak Hayton Schmaltz Larsson as Cs

Demers - We need RS FA dmen, so as a fall back option I'm okay with it at the right price. Seems more like a goofball than someone who is checked out. His personality seems like Biz's. I don't think other players look at him as a leader unlike Stepan and Goligoski.

Hammer - I'm very in favor of bringing him back in a 3rd line role. Has to be a team friendly deal. And only 1 year. He could be broken and useless after one more season. Would be a good role model and potential partner for Soderstrom.

Only guy I'd bring back is Demers if he signed a reasonable deal. Hammer will be injured more than not for the rest of his career and his play when he is healthy will continue to nose dive. Too many miles. The rest of the guys have already proven they are on the way down and don't give a shit.

SpaceCoyote

Jul 10, 2013
Wasting away
I would feel a lot more comfortable cutting ties with vets if we had prospects ready to take their place. Not to mention BA has yet to show he is able to wheel and deal for valuable assets or recruit high end free agents.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
I would feel a lot more comfortable cutting ties with vets if we had prospects ready to take their place. Not to mention BA has yet to show he is able to wheel and deal for valuable assets or recruit high end free agents.
When you chase high end free agents you often end up with overpriced, undermotivated bodies in decline.

You're right, in the two minutes that Bill has been GM, he's shown no ability to add blue chips. I really don't see how you can draw any conclusions from that. If you think he missed an opportunity of that scale, please show me where.

Reactions: Jakey53

SpaceCoyote

Jul 10, 2013
Wasting away
You're right, in the two minutes that Bill has been GM, he's shown no ability to add blue chips. I really don't see how you can draw any conclusions from that. If you think he missed an opportunity of that scale, please show me where.

My point being there is no reason to be optimistic given no track record. You're right he might just be playing a long game, perhaps there have been no worthwhile moves available. No one here knows that, but I need to see some display of trading/managment performance before writing off 4-5 of our vets a season away from free agency.

paramo

Oct 15, 2020
Alright since the board seems to have gone quite lets take a shot at line combos...

Since it sounds like the roster that the Yotes currently have will be the starting night roster... I wanted to take a stab at line combinations...

What I PERSONALLY would like to see...

Keller - Dvorak - Kessel (I think the only way the Coyotes make a run at the playoffs is to get offensive production from a guy like Kessel and Keller. I am not huge on Kessel, but I would like to see him on the top line with an opportunity to prove last year was a down year.)

Schmaltz - Hayton - Garland (This line's size worries me, but my theory here is to protect the young mistakes that Hayton WILL make as he grows, by a fairly responsible defensive player in Schmaltz and the hustle of Garland. I also like the potential offensive creativity on this line. The fact that Schmaltz has experience playing center also helps with protecting Hayton.)

Pitlick - Stepan - Crouse (From everything I hear with Pitlick I think this could be an excellent 3rd line. Really a pain to play against. I also floated the idea of playing Crouse up in the lineup, but this team cant afford to have any of the above wingers playing outside the Top 6 IMO)

Hayden - Larsson - Fischer (Not sold on Hayden being in the lineup night in and night out, I am just going off the roster listed online. Overall Larsson being on our 4th line is enough for me to be comfortable with anyone on his wing. He is that good of a 4th line role player. )

The real question mark for me and this roster is Hayton. Does the coaching staff think he is ready for Top 6 minutes at the center position? I have no idea. I pray they dont take the approach of old Yotes coaches in the past and bury him on the wing on the 4th line.

Alright go ahead and tear it apart...let the feeding frenzy begin lol.

Ok, I also long for hockey and line combinations :)

I'm also a Larsson fan but feel like he's here for more than his stalwart abilities... I mean, he is a darn good center with his possession and puck distribution skills. In short stints in a offensive role (and with such linemates) he has been pretty effective as well. Maybe most recently shown in his stats with Skinner from the beginning of last season, but also back with the likes of Gionta and Foligno. I'm just thinking there might be more reasons than the weather that made Armstrong succeed in getting him to come to Arizona? At least I wouldn't bet on him playing a one dimensional shut down role in limited minutes, especially with the lack of natural centers on the team. In fact looking at ice time, Larsson was (at least) used as a third line center in Buf. Maybe not saying much on that team, but center competition (unfortunately) isn't much better in Arizona either. And I doubt Armstrong will want to play Hayden 10+ min a night...

Maybe a line of Crouse/Larsson/Pitlick could form an elite defensively oriented line against other teams top lines? Or sniffing the work effort of Pitlick/Larsson could get Kessel going again and make room for Crouse in the top 6?

Supposing Hayton goes to AHL after his first games, who would center a grinding/easy minutes line with the center spine of Dvorak - Stepan - Larsson - x?

Last edited:
Reactions: AZhockey1991

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Yes, after this season (if there is a season) it will feel like old times with LOTS of cap space.
There will be a season and we won't have much cap space. We have to sign players to spots we lose to UFA, and I don't think for a second we will be close to a cap team. We are going to have to find young players thru trades, and develop the ones we have. BA will want to mold "his" team the way he seems fit, so we could see a lot of movement.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

Only guy I'd bring back is Demers if he signed a reasonable deal. Hammer will be injured more than not for the rest of his career and his play when he is healthy will continue to nose dive. Too many miles. The rest of the guys have already proven they are on the way down and don't give a shit.

I thought Gogo was not as good defensively, but after looking at his stats more closely, he had a pretty damn good year. He had more blocked shots than any other D, by a wide margin, had more PK TOI than any player, played as many PP minutes as Chick, can play both sides, AND he can still skate. At his age he could be a very inexpensive experienced Dman for the Yotes on a one year deal. As far as Hammer goes, let's see how he plays this year after full recovery from injury, but I think it would be best to move on from him. Stepan and Demers can go fly a kite with another team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad