2020 Off Season Discussion Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
Gary knows he's guilty and Gary won't let that slide. I think Chayka is done with the NHL for a while.
Yah I bet Gary told the Devil's not to sign him. If it was just the player testing scandal I think he would've found a home in the NHL. The circus he created when he left is going to keep him out of the league for awhile.

He's either a full time Wendy's man now or doing consulting work.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Alright since the board seems to have gone quite lets take a shot at line combos...

Since it sounds like the roster that the Yotes currently have will be the starting night roster... I wanted to take a stab at line combinations...

What I PERSONALLY would like to see...

Keller - Dvorak - Kessel (I think the only way the Coyotes make a run at the playoffs is to get offensive production from a guy like Kessel and Keller. I am not huge on Kessel, but I would like to see him on the top line with an opportunity to prove last year was a down year.)

Schmaltz - Hayton - Garland (This line's size worries me, but my theory here is to protect the young mistakes that Hayton WILL make as he grows, by a fairly responsible defensive player in Schmaltz and the hustle of Garland. I also like the potential offensive creativity on this line. The fact that Schmaltz has experience playing center also helps with protecting Hayton.)

Pitlick - Stepan - Crouse (From everything I hear with Pitlick I think this could be an excellent 3rd line. Really a pain to play against. I also floated the idea of playing Crouse up in the lineup, but this team cant afford to have any of the above wingers playing outside the Top 6 IMO)

Hayden - Larsson - Fischer (Not sold on Hayden being in the lineup night in and night out, I am just going off the roster listed online. Overall Larsson being on our 4th line is enough for me to be comfortable with anyone on his wing. He is that good of a 4th line role player. )

The real question mark for me and this roster is Hayton. Does the coaching staff think he is ready for Top 6 minutes at the center position? I have no idea. I pray they dont take the approach of old Yotes coaches in the past and bury him on the wing on the 4th line.

Alright go ahead and tear it apart...let the feeding frenzy begin lol.
With Richardson and Soderberg gone AND with RT as coach Stepan will be our 1C, guaranteed, and he will be getting 20 minutes a games. You can take that to the bank. Go to Vegas and place that bet. It's anyone's guess with Hayton, but I wouldn't be surprised if he starts in the AHL, or rides the pine, unless he shows something at training camp. Because of our pathetic C depth, I bet Schmaltz will be tried, and fail, again, at C because RT doesn't like Hayton, and RT being RT.

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
I wonder why we haven't resigned Soderberg yet.

Currently we're sitting with:

Keller/Dvorak/Garland
Crouse/Stepan/Schmaltz
Pitlick/Hayton/Kessel
Hayden/Larson/Fischer

Soderberg would be a vast improvement over Hayden or insurance if Hayton isn't ready.

Bandit34

Jul 23, 2007
HFBoards
Alright since the board seems to have gone quite lets take a shot at line combos...

Since it sounds like the roster that the Yotes currently have will be the starting night roster... I wanted to take a stab at line combinations...

What I PERSONALLY would like to see...

Keller - Dvorak - Kessel (I think the only way the Coyotes make a run at the playoffs is to get offensive production from a guy like Kessel and Keller. I am not huge on Kessel, but I would like to see him on the top line with an opportunity to prove last year was a down year.)

Schmaltz - Hayton - Garland (This line's size worries me, but my theory here is to protect the young mistakes that Hayton WILL make as he grows, by a fairly responsible defensive player in Schmaltz and the hustle of Garland. I also like the potential offensive creativity on this line. The fact that Schmaltz has experience playing center also helps with protecting Hayton.)

Pitlick - Stepan - Crouse (From everything I hear with Pitlick I think this could be an excellent 3rd line. Really a pain to play against. I also floated the idea of playing Crouse up in the lineup, but this team cant afford to have any of the above wingers playing outside the Top 6 IMO)

Hayden - Larsson - Fischer (Not sold on Hayden being in the lineup night in and night out, I am just going off the roster listed online. Overall Larsson being on our 4th line is enough for me to be comfortable with anyone on his wing. He is that good of a 4th line role player. )

The real question mark for me and this roster is Hayton. Does the coaching staff think he is ready for Top 6 minutes at the center position? I have no idea. I pray they dont take the approach of old Yotes coaches in the past and bury him on the wing on the 4th line.

Alright go ahead and tear it apart...let the feeding frenzy begin lol.

What are your special team lines?

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site

Keller/Dvorak/Garland
Crouse/Stepan/Schmaltz
Pitlick/Hayton/Kessel
Hayden/Larson/Fischer

Soderberg would be a vast improvement over Hayden or insurance if Hayton isn't ready.
Salary cap. Finances.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

Keller/Dvorak/Garland
Crouse/Stepan/Schmaltz
Pitlick/Hayton/Kessel
Hayden/Larson/Fischer

I think they will try Schmaltz at C, again.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Salary cap. Finances.
We have little flexibility with our current roster. Things loosen up a bit next year, but I don't expect us to be near the top of the cap. BA has his five year plan and that's the time table for a rebuild. He wants to build HIS team. We have some good pieces, but I expect some to be gone over the next two years.

Reactions: hbk

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
We have little flexibility with our current roster. Things loosen up a bit next year, but I don't expect us to be near the top of the cap. BA has his five year plan and that's the time table for a rebuild. He wants to build HIS team. We have some good pieces, but I expect some to be gone over the next two years.

I think we should all have a beer together when Stepan is gone.

Reactions: Neighborhood Coyote

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Armstrong has to properly leverage the cap space that is freed up with the expiration of all those higher priced contracts at the end of this season/deadline of we hope to avoid a full 5 year rebuild.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Armstrong has to properly leverage the cap space that is freed up with the expiration of all those higher priced contracts at the end of this season/deadline of we hope to avoid a full 5 year rebuild.
What’s the better route? Sign good UFAs and make good trades for players with notable salaries? Or is it to gain assets for dumps and really re-do this from the ground up?

Neighborhood Coyote

Sep 14, 2017
He completely fell off a cliff around December. In 2020 he put up like 30pt pace. He was the quintessential “a guy”. Just a random mannequin a Yotes jersey.

Had a great first half of the season though.

Yup, saw the same thing just by the eye test as well. He started off with regular contributions but by the end of the season I'd forget he was playing some nights. So I agree with y'all... don't think he really earned an extension or at least probably what his ask would have been.

Of course, if any player is cheap enough, arguments could be made but meh.

rt

May 13, 2004
Yup, saw the same thing just by the eye test as well. He started off with regular contributions but by the end of the season I'd forget he was playing some nights. So I agree with y'all... don't think he really earned an extension or at least probably what his ask would have been.

Of course, if any player is cheap enough, arguments could be made but meh.
He’s versatile and doesn’t make mistakes. So I’d be happy to keep him as cheap depth on a one year deal if he’d take that.

Neighborhood Coyote

Sep 14, 2017
He’s versatile and doesn’t make mistakes. So I’d be happy to keep him as cheap depth on a one year deal if he’d take that.

Definitely, I'd be interested at the right price. Biggest questions are: Would he do that? and Would the Coyotes want/be able to even do that?

Doesn't help with the way the player salaries/escrow/deferral situation is shaping up. Vet players like him might just say "screw that".

rt

May 13, 2004
Definitely, I'd be interested at the right price. Biggest questions are: Would he do that? and Would the Coyotes want/be able to even do that?

Doesn't help with the way the player salaries/escrow/deferral situation is shaping up. Vet players like him might just say "screw that".
True. Might even be able to make close to the same amount of net income by playing on Sweden, given everything.

Reactions: Neighborhood Coyote

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
Salary cap. Finances.

We still have a bit of Hossas LTIR we could use.

True. Might even be able to make close to the same amount of net income by playing on Sweden, given everything.

That's true, very likely players are waiting to see how the negotiations between the leave and the PA go.

If he prefers to stay in the NHL on a prove it deal to set himself up for next year I'd gladly welcome him back. Even with some decline I think he's a much better option than Hayden.

As 4LW or a 3/4C as Hayton insurance I think signing him would be very valuable to us.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
What’s the better route? Sign good UFAs and make good trades for players with notable salaries? Or is it to gain assets for dumps and really re-do this from the ground up?
leaning towards the latter if the true strength of this franchise is going to be draft and development going forward. To be competitive/tread water for next couple of years we may have to do both.

Reactions: Jakey53

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
We still have a bit of Hossas LTIR we could use.

That's true, very likely players are waiting to see how the negotiations between the leave and the PA go.

If he prefers to stay in the NHL on a prove it deal to set himself up for next year I'd gladly welcome him back. Even with some decline I think he's a much better option than Hayden.

As 4LW or a 3/4C as Hayton insurance I think signing him would be very valuable to us.
Compressed schedule and we better leave lots of wiggle room to carry a 3rd goalie and for injuries.

Reactions: Jakey53

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
I'm hoping the NHLPA doesn't help renegotiate. If the salary give-back this season doesn't change then the salary cap will be lower for longer. That will definitely help the Coyotes in their rebuild. There would be a lot of teams pressed hard against the cap. The UFA market and the trade market would both be tilted in our favour.

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
Compressed schedule and we better leave lots of wiggle room to carry a 3rd goalie and for injuries.
Wasn't the idea previously floated that rosters would be expanded to 25 because if the compressed schedule and COVID risks? I'd assume if they did that those roster spots would be cap exempt.

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
Wasn't the idea previously floated that rosters would be expanded to 25 because if the compressed schedule and COVID risks? I'd assume if they did that those roster spots would be cap exempt.

Yeah, they would have to make up some new rule about the cap if they do that. Or else everybody could say their player number 24 and 25 just happens to be their highest paid players. So they would have to increase the cap with 2/23-parts or something.

But it would certainly be an advantage to not have to waive Hill.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad