2020 Off-Season Discussion Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
You'll get more because he gets his points and he's young enough to hang "potential" on. He's incredibly skilled. Someone lacking offense will get teased. And again, in the right role, he's worth having around.
So get a guy like Dumba who is available for the xdraft and contract situation. Or get a less talented, more complete young guy with size who can actually play center and anchor a line.

He'd be my first trade because he gets a good return and can remake the look of the roster.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
100 percent agree, that’s why I imagine Schmaltz is such a frustrating player
Nick Schmaltz cutting to the inside with the puck on his stick is as dangerous as anyone in the league, imo.
But the book on him for years is he doesn't want to do that or play through contact, and he doesn't play defense. It completely neuters his on-ice value when he does none of those things. You could live with him as a powerplay guy who needs to be sheltered. He'd thrive -- IF he'd go inside where he's dangerous.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
This one is wild, stupid, and sure to offend. So if you’re delicate enough that bad ideas hurt you, please skip it.

OEL and Fischer for Dunn, Kyrou, and Kostin. But also Goligoski (retained) for Bortuzzo and Blais.

Kuemper for Reimer, Bokk, and Bean.

Raanta for conditional 21OTT3rd.

Foggy1097

Jan 14, 2014
Arizona
This one is wild, stupid, and sure to offend. So if you’re delicate enough that bad ideas hurt you, please skip it.

OEL and Fischer for Dunn, Kyrou, and Kostin. But also Goligoski (retained) for Bortuzzo and Blais.

Yeah I’d probably take it. Bean in particular, would be nice. It would be really nice to have a few solid young D pieces to build around. Chychrun/Bean/Soderstrom or Chychrun/Carlo/Soderstrom....would be really nice to have something like that to build from.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017

W/O diving into it, I’d say this is far from the worst of your plethora of proposals.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Looking at 5v5 goals/60:

Garland 1.23
Keller. .95
Grabner .92
Dvo .80
Crouse. .77
Hall .72

This ignores PP goals, which obviously still count, and relative defense, but these are the guys you want to feed 5v5 time if you struggle for offense. The third best one who is also incredibly disruptive defensively was scratched continuously. Does not compute.

Kessel meanwhile had .33 (behind even players like Fischer, Richardson, Stepan, Hinostroza) and kept getting fed prime minutes and opportunity.
Kessel got 0.01 higher P/60 than Hayton, and Hayton can't even get into the lineup to grow.

Do something, Bill!

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
It's going to be very difficult to move Kessel because of his very restrictive NTC and because I'd guess very few teams actually like him. Then you have him coming off a very poor season. There are maybe two suitors at best.

Which was also part of the purpose in saying that if Kessel were to be moved, I think it would have to be with someone with some upside in order to expand the number of teams it could work with. But yes, there are not a lot of teams that it would work out with. I couldn't remember how the trade to AZ wound up affecting his NTC/NMC and thought he had more teams that he could be traded to.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

I think these are all pretty good, but we just don't see these kind of block buster trades any more.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
And at $850k, and only committed to next year, you just hope he rebounds.

Unless you can do a Staal and Howden for Kessel trade. Or Alzner and Poehling for Kessel which helps someone else turn completely deadcap into something, and helps us shed cap and salary next year while adding a NHL-ready player with some limited upside.

mpir3

Apr 7, 2010
Looking at 5v5 goals/60:

Garland 1.23
Keller. .95
Grabner .92
Dvo .80
Crouse. .77
Hall .72

This ignores PP goals, which obviously still count, and relative defense, but these are the guys you want to feed 5v5 time if you struggle for offense. The third best one who is also incredibly disruptive defensively was scratched continuously. Does not compute.

Kessel meanwhile had .33 (behind even players like Fischer, Richardson, Stepan, Hinostroza) and kept getting fed prime minutes and opportunity.
Kessel got 0.01 higher P/60 than Hayton, and Hayton can't even get into the lineup to grow.

Do something, Bill!

What do you expect when Kessel's bar buddies with RT...Always used to see them at one of my favorite spots. Get them both out of here!

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I think the best we can hope for is for Tocc to get promoted out of the way. Give him a promotion to "another voice present" or AVP, and then hire Gallant who seems to very much be on the same page as what Armstrong wants to accomplish in being harder to play against.

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
I think the best we can hope for is for Tocc to get promoted out of the way. Give him a promotion to "another voice present" or AVP, and then hire Gallant who seems to very much be on the same page as what Armstrong wants to accomplish in being harder to play against.
I like Gallant, but is he the right fit for this team? He seems kind of like Tipp in where he is best with vets who play with an edge. Our roster just isn't that.

Obvs an upgrade over Tocchet but I remember going over this in the winter and thought Laviolette would be a better fit.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Gallant is likely waiting for an offer he can't refuse. The Coyotes aren't going to be that team. I think he ends up in Seattle.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
It’s kinda funny how these are trickling out day by day instead of at once. It’s like he has a meeting with each guy and then decides afterwards he doesn’t like them and cans them.

Anyone else need to go aside from Tocchet, Housley, and any scout involved with stretchgate?

Reactions: DOTS13
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad