2020 Off-Season Discussion Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I'd eat Sutter's last year if they'd deal Virtanen for Goose.
Sutter is only owed $3.5 in real cash this, his final year. So that's tolerable. But how much is Virtanen getting? There are rumors of Vancouver walking away because they don't like his QO, which I'm pretty sure is only like 1.5 or so. Maybe it's an arb. rights thing, or something?

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
He's arbitration eligible, so it's a bit risky after the numbers he just put up. I know they're frustrated by him. He might be happy enough to just be out of there to sign something reasonable. Or he might push for more than he's worth.
Have to think he's earned $2-3M, inconsistency be damned. Or maybe Armstrong isn't impressed at all, and he's not interested. Tantalizing player, though.

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
Per sources, the eight teams on Goligoski’s list are: Calgary, Edmonton, Montreal, Ottawa, Winnipeg, Buffalo, Detroit and Los Angeles.
Neutral zone: Scouting staff rumblings, addressing those finances, trade talk, awards ballot & more
I find it strange that Minnesota is fine, but Winnipeg isn't. I know Goligoski is from Minn but WPG is very close.

I wonder if LA has to do with rumored Carter swap from last year. A trade that could've been real that he wanted to shutdown.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
I find it strange that Minnesota is fine, but Winnipeg isn't. I know Goligoski is from Minn but WPG is very close.

I wonder if LA has to do with rumored Carter swap from last year. A trade that could've been real that he wanted to shutdown.
He's listed all the Canadian small cities. In each of those places he'd be recognized anywhere in public if he worked there. Also, for millionaires, those small cities have fewer premiere services to offer. Also, they're even colder than Minneapolis.

hbk

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
He's listed all the Canadian small cities. In each of those places he'd be recognized anywhere in public if he worked there. Also, for millionaires, those small cities have fewer premiere services to offer. Also, they're even colder than Minneapolis.
Not disputing anything you’ve said but I will say this about weather; I will take -30 in Winnipeg over -10 in Vancouver. You have never been chilled to the bone than being in Vancouver when it’s cold. Yeah -30 sucks in the Prairies. I was at the outdoor game in Regina this past year. All you do is wear more clothes and it’s manageable.

Attachments

• 08FCE54F-9B12-414B-952C-D7603A052ED5.jpeg
    08FCE54F-9B12-414B-952C-D7603A052ED5.jpeg
    484.6 KB · Views: 3

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Gotta agree with XX. Jets need D and OEL sure as hell ain’t gonna waive to go there :D. So they’d only be interested in Chychrun.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Do we possibly have anything to make that work? Is Laine a "second effort" guy for Armstrong?
Chychryn, Hayton, Dvorak, Soderstrom, Jenik, Garland...but it would likely take 3+ of those assets.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Jets would target Chychrun, so no.
So, you wouldn't trade Chychrun for Laine? I would in a heart beat, the only problem like ducky mentioned they would want another one or two assets, and then it wouldn't make sense.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
So, you wouldn't trade Chychrun for Laine? I would in a heart beat, the only problem like ducky mentioned they would want another one or two assets, and then it wouldn't make sense.
Agreed and humored about all the Chychrun love, given his propensity to get injured and poor playoff showing. What really makes me laugh is the notion he’s ready to be a first pairing.

Reactions: Jakey53

Mosby

Ready for Yeti
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Laine is one of my favourite players but what exactly are you getting? That combined with the price and I'd let someone else buy him.

Chychrun embodies everything I want a Coyote to be.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Just for info.... Goligoski did submit his no trade list. Craig Morgan has it in his latest article.

Per CBA rules, players had to submit those lists recently. Per sources, the eight teams on Goligoski’s list are: Calgary, Edmonton, Montreal, Ottawa, Winnipeg, Buffalo, Detroit and Los Angeles.

Grabner has also submitted his list but Craig didn't know what was on it.

Reactions: Neighborhood Coyote

Neighborhood Coyote

Sep 14, 2017
There is a reason they are making Laine available... or that they are taking offers at least. He has his warts.

It would certainly be expensive to get him and I think it's fairly obvious the Yotes are in no position to be paying more young, valuable assets at this time.

Plus, if the Yotes DID pay those assets... we don't have a coaching staff that's going to get the best out of him. Probably just make his warts worse. Trade for an A level asset.. turn him into a B or C... it's what the team has been doing recently.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
There is a reason they are making Laine available... or that they are taking offers at least. He has his warts.

It would certainly be expensive to get him and I think it's fairly obvious the Yotes are in no position to be paying more young, valuable assets at this time.

Plus, if the Yotes DID pay those assets... we don't have a coaching staff that's going to get the best out of him. Probably just make his warts worse. Trade for an A level asset.. turn him into a B or C... it's what the team has been doing recently.
Laine would be Coyote's best player but I don't think we have tge assets to make sense.

Neighborhood Coyote

Sep 14, 2017
Laine would be Coyote's best player but I don't think we have tge assets to make sense.

In a bubble, yes he could be. But I have no faith in this coaching staff as is. They'd neuter his offense (which is what Laine is best at) and make him into a lesser player than he should be. Also, with all the assets going the other way... he'd be pretty much the only player left haha.

Plus... yea I don't think the Yotes have the assets to get him anyways or SHOULD give up all the remaining good assets. Would gut the team too hard to make any sense.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
In a bubble, yes he could be. But I have no faith in this coaching staff as is. They'd neuter his offense (which is what Laine is best at) and make him into a lesser player than he should be. Also, with all the assets going the other way... he'd be pretty much the only player left haha.

Plus... yea I don't think the Yotes have the assets to get him anyways or SHOULD give up all the remaining good assets. Would gut the team too hard to make any sense.
That's what I meant by assets to make sense. No point adding a guy if your whole future departs for it.

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
Problem with trading Chychrun is we would be very weak on D without him. 4 of our other Dmen could be gone after this year. Then we'd just be left with Soderstrom. If Soderstrom had some NHL experience and we knew what we had I'd be open to moving Chychrun for Laine. Although I'd prefer to target a C.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
I think we will find ourselves having to possibly give up a long term signing in a deal to get rid of Kessel or some others. I think that would make the most likely odd man out Schmaltz, if needing to deal a longer deal. Dvorak would be the next, but that would require a move to upgrade at C, or we would have to have a great contingency plan with someone like Haula.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I think we will find ourselves having to possibly give up a long term signing in a deal to get rid of Kessel or some others. I think that would make the most likely odd man out Schmaltz, if needing to deal a longer deal. Dvorak would be the next, but that would require a move to upgrade at C, or we would have to have a great contingency plan with someone like Haula.
You’re suggesting that we would give away Schmaltz or Dvorak just to be rid of Kessel?

Mosby

Ready for Yeti
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Sens are like 20 below the floor now. Even if they re-sign all their guys to generous deals, they're still likely to fall short. And it's also good to have a buffer so they can move out more guys at the deadline and stay above the floor.

Anyway, that's a good landing spot for Stepan, even more so if we can bring in a replacement C like Wennberg if he is bought out by the CBJs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad