Prospect Info: 2020 NHL Entry Draft Thread

redcard

System Poster
Mar 12, 2007
I have to agree that from a need standpoint I hope the BPA is a winger or a defenceman. I really like Byfield, but drafting him would create an issue as we’d have then a log jam down the middle. We’d have to slide a C to wing or trade one of them, which really would be a massive test for Blake.

Kopitar stays as we’d need at least one veteran C and he has his NMC anyway so there’s one top C spot gone. Turcotte, Vilardi and Byfield are not 4c players, so let’s slot JAD in there leaving three elite prospects fighting over 2 spots down the middle. Moving Turcotte feels like an awful idea and we’d never get value for Vilardi for a couple of years at least, due to his injury history. There’s a strong argument then for saying we don’t need another C. So with the C depth we have right now (and assuming Vilardi gets through the year in good shape) what should Blake do when our pick comes up and the BPA is clearly Byfield?

Blake could simply draft on need, but in my book that is idiocy unless it’s a coin flip over which is the best prospect. He could take him and worry about having too many top C players in the system later. That’s the easy play and one of them would probably end up moving to wing. Or he could trade down a few spots to get an elite prospect in a position of need and in addition net another high value pick or prospect.

Trading down is a hugely risky move but if it paid off it could be a difference maker. I know it’s a big IF but if we get a lottery pick it could create a very interesting and challenging scenario. I like the trading down scenario if just for the fact this board would explode and the Blake haters will go mental, no matter what the return was.

Sorry I’m bored, and just speculating about what might happen. It’s quite exciting times atm, I love a rebuild.

I'm not overly concerned about a potential log jam at center. There's no guarantee that all 3 will actually pan out, but having 3 elite center prospects provides a pretty good chance of having a strong 1-2 in the future. If they do all happen to reach their potential, it'll be a good problem, and we can decide to trade or move one to wing then.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
I'm not overly concerned about a potential log jam at center. There's no guarantee that all 3 will actually pan out, but having 3 elite center prospects provides a pretty good chance of having a strong 1-2 in the future. If they do all happen to reach their potential, it'll be a good problem, and we can decide to trade or move one to wing then.

I agree. Alot of good players who are drafted as centers end up playing wing in the NHL anyway. latest example I can think of is what Dube is doing in Calgary.

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
I can't see his name and not think of the weird-ass german "pasta"

7bcadf97-7a52-42ad-9c84-b043b62cfc6b.jpg

I think of strudel.

giphy.gif

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012

People used to say stuff like this when we traded for Carter. "Oh, no, we have three elite centers in Kopitar, Richards, and Carter what're we gonna do?"

Win the Cup, apparently.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
People used to say stuff like this when we traded for Carter. "Oh, no, we have three elite centers in Kopitar, Richards, and Carter what're we gonna do?"

Win the Cup, apparently.

I hope we have four elite centers. Kopitar, Vilardi, Turcotte, and Anderson-Dolan. Hell, maybe even Akil Thomas.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Reactions: Peter James Bond II

TopT

Jan 7, 2009
Georgetown, Caymans
have to say this is a great year to suck, lets go kings. Top 5, even top 10 in fantastic. From what I have seen so far if we dont get Laf I want Raymond and am not so high on Perfetti BUT its really a hard miss in top 10, so many great players.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Drysdale kind of gives me the heebie jeebies, like he's only up there because he's the best d-man and we need a token top-10 d-man, but I'd probably take 7 players before him.

Edit: I take that back. I'd have Lafreniere, Stutzle, Byfield, Rossi, mayyyybe Raymond and Perfetti before him depending on the team.

Doesn't seem to be a great high-end d-man draft huh? Bet there's some good value guys there at the end of the 1st/beginning of the 2nd, sort of like this year

Reactions: YP44

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
The Kings still need the alpha forward that is the cornerstone of any contending team. If this team is picking in the Top 5 they should do as the vast majority of teams have done the last decade and take the best available forward.

It's not an accident that only 13 of the 50 top 5 picks from 2010-2019 were defenseman.

Peter James Bond II

Mar 5, 2015
Q: If Hendrix Lapiere is drafted by the Kings and makes it in a few years, will there be HENDRIX jerseys? (not using Lapiere on them) and will they play 'Are you experienced", when he takes the ice?
There's also OZZY Weisblatt, a RW rated 29th.

Also, Brendan Brisson is super agent Pat Brisson's son...I think it would be cool if he got another agent to rep him, not his dad.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad