Prospect Info: 2020 NHL Entry Draft Thread

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
What are folks' thoughts on Sanderson? Pronman did a Q&A yesterday and said there's a 40% chance in his mind that he's selected before Drysdale. Given the lack of defensemen rated in the Top 15 and the run on defensemen we saw earlier than expected last year, I'm thinking Sanderson is on the Kings' radar if we drop to #7.

My “out on a limb” prediction is the 6 teams ahead of us will do what teams always do at the draft and go on a run of defensemen starting early with Drysdale and Sanderson, so that neither is available at 7OA.

Reactions: ricardfromage

Rorschach

Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
Without looking at teams’ needs, since we don’t know lottery results:
1. Lafreniere
2. Stutzle
3. Byfield
4. Drysdale
5. Rossi
6. Sanderson
7. ?

I think those are the six that teams will run on early. 1/2 are NHL ready to me and that makes sense that teams on the cusp and win the lottery will get a NHL-ready player like Chicago picked Dachshund over Turcotte.
3/5 running on the potential 1Cs and 4/6 running on defensemen, like teams always do at the top of the draft each year.

I think the Kings can get yet another top six center, a 1W or Askarov.

It should be interesting to see if there’s someone Blake/Futa really want and if it will be cheap this year to move up one or two spots from a lottery position...maybe only a second this year will do it.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Without looking at teams’ needs, since we don’t know lottery results:
1. Lafreniere
2. Stutzle
3. Byfield
4. Drysdale
5. Rossi
6. Sanderson
7. ?

I think those are the six that teams will run on early. 1/2 are NHL ready to me and that makes sense that teams on the cusp and win the lottery will get a NHL-ready player like Chicago picked Dachshund over Turcotte.
3/5 running on the potential 1Cs and 4/6 running on defensemen, like teams always do at the top of the draft each year.

I think the Kings can get yet another top six center, a 1W or Askarov.

It should be interesting to see if there’s someone Blake/Futa really want and if it will be cheap this year to move up one or two spots from a lottery position...maybe only a second this year will do it.

Raymond would have to be the guy at 7. Also, Futa is no longer with the Kings.

Reactions: funky

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
I did the simulation that @Ziggy Stardust was kind enough to post. It was interesting. My first try the Kings landed the #2 pick overall, and this is what I did with the draft.

Pick #2 - Byfield (C) - Big playmaking center, who can also score. Gives Kopitar something to do the next few years as far as being an example.
Pick #35 - Porier (LD) - Great puck rusher, good size, needs work on his game in this own zone.
Pick #46 - Jurmo (LD) - Another good puck rusher, great size, uses his reach well to defend. I think this guy would be a real steal here at #46.
Pick #56 - Jarventie (LW) - Big, fast, power LW. Knows where the net is and scores goals.
Pick #66 - Gushchin (RW) - Goal scorer, but he is small. I still believe good big men beat good little men. Only one of two picks which I used on smaller player.
Pick #80 - Kubicek (RD) - Big, physical, two-way defenseman, and a right-hand shot.
Pick #97 - Coe (RW) - Another goal scoring power forward with size and a good skater.
Pick #106 - Faber (RD) - Good size, skates well enough. RD's have trade value at almost all times.
Pick #128 - Desroches (RD) - Smallish offensive minded defenseman.
Pick #159 - Slukynsky (C) - Decent size, playmaking, two-way center. The kind of guy who may anchor a 3rd or 4th line if things break the right way.
Pick #190 - Malik (G) - Took a goalie, because we need one in the development pipeline.

Most will notice a theme here, and it's building down the middle and from the net out. Unlike some, I don't believe size and forechecking are ancient history in the NHL. Offense starts from the back end with a good first pass, or rush by a puck carrying defenseman to create outnumbered attacks. Moving the puck quickly out of the zone, along with getting the puck in deep will still win championships in the NHL.

Last edited:

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I did the simulation that @Ziggy Stardust was kind enough to post. It was interesting. My first try the Kings landed the #2 pick overall, and this is what I did with the draft.

Pick #2 - Byfield (C) - Big playmaking center, who can also score. Gives Kopitar something to do the next few years as far as being an example.
Pick #35 - Porier (LD) - Great puck rusher, good size, needs work on his game in this own zone.
Pick #46 - Jurmo (LD) - Another good puck rusher, great size, uses his reach well to defend. I think this guy would be a real steal here at #46.
Pick #56 - Jarventie (LW) - Big, fast, power LW. Knows where the net is and scores goals.
Pick #66 - Gushchin (RW) - Goal scorer, but he is small. I still believe good big men beat good little men. Only one of two picks which I used on smaller player.
Pick #80 - Kubicek (RD) - Big, physical, two-way defenseman, and a right-hand shot.
Pick #97 - Coe (RW) - Another goal scoring power forward with size and a good skater.
Pick #106 - Faber (RD) - Good size, skates well enough. RD's have trade value at almost all times.
Pick #128 - Desroches (RD) - Smallish offensive minded defenseman.
Pick #159 - Slukynsky (C) - Decent size, playmaking, two-way center. The kind of guy who may anchor a 3rd or 4th line if things break the right way.
Pick #190 - Malik (G) - Took a goalie, because we need one in the development pipeline.

Most will notice a theme here, and it's building down the middle and from the net out. Unlike some, I don't believe size and forechecking are ancient history in the NHL. Offense starts from the back end with a good first pass, or rush by a puck carrying defenseman to create outnumbered attacks along with getting the puck in deep will still win championships in the NHL.

I think you found the same thing I did too, that the 2nd-4th round picks are really, really encouraging. We are getting some serious players outside the 1st.

Reactions: KINGS17

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
My sim-Kings pick 6th (2 rounds)

6-L.Raymond
35-J.J.Peterka
46-J.Poirier
56-D.Ovchinnikov
I like that either Poirier or Jurmo will likely still be available at #46, if the Kings go with forwards in their first two picks.

Reactions: LAKings88

LAKings88

First round fodder
Dec 4, 2006
here or there
I like that either Poirier or Jurmo will likely still be available at #46, if the Kings go with forwards in their first two picks.
I do like Drysdale. His poise reminds me of Doughty. Great skater.

Sanderson is good too but I think seven is a reach. Could be wrong but if LA is 5-7 I think forward is the way to go. If Drysdale slips it could be interesting.

AlphaBravo

Jan 31, 2015
Yerevan
Drysdale doesn't seem like a possibility. If we win the lottery by some miracle, we are likely drafting Laf/Byfield/Stutzle. If we stay at 4, and Ottawa is above us with both picks, they are likely taking forward/defenseman. If we fall to 7, Drysdale will definitely not be available.

Rorschach

Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
Raymond would have to be the guy at 7. Also, Futa is no longer with the Kings.

Yeah, I’m the one who made the thread reporting it but at the time, he was “leaving” and not gone yet. Still I think after doing the scouting this far, he may “have a guy” he told Blake about already.

Kingspiracy

Nov 13, 2006
I have enjoyed using that draft simulator (thanks to whoever posted it.) I normally struggle to get into following all the prospects, but that simulator is a good chance to get a little familiarity with them.

I found the value weighting of the picks when trading them quite interesting. I traded LAs 6th + 80th to NJ for the 10th + 15th (which seemed like a steal). Yet when you look over the years its quite often better to keep the higher pick.

08 draft
6 Filatov + 80 Comrie
for
10 Hodson + 15 Karlsson

09 draft
6 Oel + 80 Borque
for
10 Paajarvi + 15 Holland

10 draft
6 Connoly + 80 Rust
for
10 Mcilwrath + 15 f***face

11 draft
6 Zibanejad + 80 Camara
for
10 Brodin + 15 Miller

12 draft
6 Lindholm + 80 Patterson
for
10 Koekkoek + 15 Ceci

13 draft
6 Monahan + 80 Duclair
for
10 Nuke + 15 Pulock

14 draft
6 Virtanen + 80 Belpedio
for
10 Ritchie + 15 Larkin

15 draft
6 Zacha + 80 Gates
for
10 Rantanen + 15 Senyshyn

Would you trade back if your clear cut pick wasnt available ?

funky

Time for the future. More Byfield and Clarke
Mar 9, 2002
I really hope Sanderson gets picked in the top seven but I hope it’s not by us. That would mean worst case scenario we would end up w one of:

Lafreniere
Byfield
Stutzle
Drysdale
Raymond
Rossi.

No matter what happens for the rest of the draft as long as we end up with one of those six I will be happy.

as for our second round picks I am really hoping that we can grab one of Wallinder, Guhle, or Grans, and possibly a Novak.

I wouldn’t mind grabbing Commeso with one of our thirds just to keep the goalie factory going.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad