MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
a2402c2e-052214-NHL-Dallas-Stars-Jim-Hill-DG-PI.jpg

Reactions: Smelling Salt

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Is this a caption contest?

"Trade down!?! Nahh. I'm really keen on this Russian kid. Joey's in love with him. Thinks he's a Top 5 pick. You're crazy man. Barzal? That's why you want the 12th pick? We ain't so keen on him. Joey don't love him and our Western guy's just not keen on Barzal. I'm trying to help you out bro. We're keeping the pick. Our Russian is going to be scoring a hat trick in the Stanley Cup playoffs while Barzal is struggling in the AHL."

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
Is this a caption contest?

"Trade down!?! Nahh. I'm really keen on this Russian kid. Joey's in love with him. Thinks he's a Top 5 pick. You're crazy man. Barzal? That's why you want the 12th pick? We ain't so keen on him. Joey don't love him and our Western guy's just not keen on Barzal. I'm trying to help you out bro. We're keeping the pick. Our Russian is going to be scoring a hat trick in the Stanley Cup playoffs while Barzal is struggling in the AHL."
You forgot the obligatory we got congratulated by outside scouts for our great selection

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Joe McDonnell, 5 years later, admitting that he was not keen on Barzal will be something I never forget. Also, I'm pretty sure the Western guy he is throwing under the bus is Holland.

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
Joe McDonnell, 5 years later, admitting that he was not keen on Barzal will be something I never forget. Also, I'm pretty sure the Western guy he is throwing under the bus is Holland.
Seems likely. He's based out of BC.
Unrelated but I've always wondered why he hasn't tried to use the brother connection to get a bigger role in the FO with Ken in Edmonton.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Seems likely. He's based out of BC.
Unrelated but I've always wondered why he hasn't tried to use the brother connection to get a bigger role in the FO with Ken in Edmonton.

He easily could have done that in Detroit as well. I don't know if it's wanting to stand on his own or maybe his ambition is to be a scout. He's been with Dallas for a long, long time.

He was the guy that was key in Dallas drafting Jamie Benn IIRC.

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
He easily could have done that in Detroit as well. I don't know if it's wanting to stand on his own or maybe his ambition is to be a scout. He's been with Dallas for a long, long time.

He was the guy that was key in Dallas drafting Jamie Benn IIRC.
Yep you're correct on the Benn call.
But yeah he's been with Dallas for what seems like forever and he's never advanced beyond scout to my knowledge.
Maybe you're right he wants to stand on his own.
I can't imagine being a scout for 15yrs and not trying to advanced and provided internal failure to do so trying to leverage the family connection to accomplish it. It's not like he hasn't put in the time.
Then again maybe he had and gotten shot down

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Sam Lites sure did it in Dallas. All of a sudden he just appeared as a pro scout and analytics guy.

I'm not sure on the story with Holland. If I was him, I also see how my role has been reduced a bit. I mentioned it previously, but Dallas was a WHL team for quite some time with Jackson running the draft, and Holland was responsible for a ton of picks. There's been a significant shift to the OHL with Nill/McDonnell, and they rarely take Western guys now.

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
Sam Lites sure did it in Dallas. All of a sudden he just appeared as a pro scout and analytics guy.

I'm not sure on the story with Holland. If I was him, I also see how my role has been reduced a bit. I mentioned it previously, but Dallas was a WHL team for quite some time with Jackson running the draft, and Holland was responsible for a ton of picks. There's been a significant shift to the OHL with Nill/McDonnell, and they rarely take Western guys now.
Yep and kind of being thrown under the bus in regards to Barzal. Though admittedly anyone that wasn't "keen" on him deserves to be thrown under said bus, then reversed back over a few times

WhoahNow

WhatsApp lead the way
Sep 7, 2011

Yeah and most of them are token Kamloops blazers picks

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
With Jackson or McDonnell running the draft, one thing has remained consistent. Eff the Q.

Ignoring the QMJHL is the most consistent thing about the Dallas Stars for 20 years or more.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Dallas has drafted 6 players from the Q in the last 20 years. They've drafted 6 from the OHL in the last 2 years.

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
With Jackson or McDonnell running the draft, one thing has remained consistent. Eff the Q.

Ignoring the QMJHL is the most consistent thing about the Dallas Stars for 20 years or more.
Yeah f*** the French... Or well you know what I mean

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Yeah and most of them are token Kamloops blazers picks

I forgot about Ully. 3 of the 7 WHL picks since Gaglardi has taken over have been from Kamloops. It's not uncommon to be fair. Carolina did the same thing for a bit before their previous owner sold his junior team and then the NHL team.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
I forgot about Ully. 3 of the 7 WHL picks since Gaglardi has taken over have been from Kamloops. It's not uncommon to be fair. Carolina did the same thing for a bit before their previous owner sold his junior team and then the NHL team.

What a blast from the past.

I remember in one EHM sim I had Ully exploded up to become 6’6” and went on to score 800 career goals. Led us to 4 Cups.

If only...

WhoahNow

WhatsApp lead the way
Sep 7, 2011
I'd be stoked with Peterka, Foerster, Perrault or trade back and try and grab Wiesblatt or Evangelista. Honestly there is so many good forward prospects in the Stars range

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
Which Kamloops player are we wasting our 7th round pick on this year at the direction of our owner?

Reactions: Satan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad