GDT: 2020 NHL Entry Draft [SN, NBCSN; 6PM Central]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smelling Salt

Busey is life
Mar 8, 2006
Winnipeg
Yeah I have no problems with him being a 4th round pick, just tempering my own expectations despite his obvious offensive gifts.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017

Does he do stuff like this often? Seems incredibly dumb/selfish. I still like the pick, but man, he seems like he's a ways off.

Meh, hes clearly young and immature right now. Nothing that can't be fixed though. Stars will fix that pretty quickly. Gurianov is going through that process right now

Long way to go

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
authockeytxreports.wordpress.com
Looks like he's playing in Belarus for Yunost Minsk this season.
The Belarus national league is very poor. Where he wants to play is for Dinamo Minsk in the KHL. The Belarus National league is about where the French league or the Danish league is.

However, I can understand him having no points in 6 games because Yunost is of the most prestigious teams in the Belarus league, they even have a couple guys who spent some time in the KHL. So he will probably be sitting behind veterans there for a bit.

Starry Knight

Tele-Wyatt
Jun 9, 2013
KW

Does he do stuff like this often? Seems incredibly dumb/selfish. I still like the pick, but man, he seems like he's a ways off.

I remember that game; I had a good laugh in that moment. He doesn't normally do anything that egregious, but he can hold onto the puck a little too long leaving his zone.

I've also read he is prone to perimeter-itis and from clips I saw he tries way too hard to do it on his own. This lead to 4th line demotions and outright benchings. Alot of warning signs. Basically exactly what your really informative scouting report said earlier. I thought you saying "minor-midget-superstar syndrome" was perfect. I'm not sure those players ever work out.

I don't like the term "perimeter player" when discussing his play style. He will still cut to the net when an opening presents itself and is a driver of the play offensively. The way he carries the puck often keeps him at the perimeter, rather than cutting to the net for a scoring chance, but his open skating stance creates passing lanes that others can't (think Klingberg).

Max Domi had a lot of the same issues in his time in London, but eventually Dale Hunter got through to him.

With some extra strength, some of his perceived faults may start to disappear. If he can protect the puck better and have a quicker first step, him holding onto the puck as much as he does may no longer be a weakness, but a defining strength.

Ub the Bub

Feb 9, 2010
Honka could go to the AHL because he was drafted to the NHL before he was drafted in the CHL import draft.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
Who in the hell is he playing against? Are they out there watching TV on the ice or something?
there should be a little coach cam in the corner of the screen to show the coach erupting more and more after every dipsy doodle

Reactions: LT

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
Going down the Antonio Stranges rabbit hole- he's from Plymouth which means he was ~12 when Sonny Milano was there. He even named him as an influence. This is my dream come true.

ohl-windsor-spitfires-vs-plymouth-whalers-34b8039ba96b82c5.jpg

Ghost of Kyiv

Wanted Dead and Alive
Feb 1, 2015
Schrödinger's Box
Going down the Antonio Stranges rabbit hole- he's from Plymouth which means he was ~12 when Sonny Milano was there. He even named him as an influence. This is my dream come true.

ohl-windsor-spitfires-vs-plymouth-whalers-34b8039ba96b82c5.jpg

When I watched that interview I thought it was odd that he didn't mention Seguin being a former Whaler. Didn't realize till just now that he would of been 7 years old.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
When I watched that interview I thought it was odd that he didn't mention Seguin being a former Whaler. Didn't realize till just now that he would of been 7 years old.
So insane lmao

I needed a minute to compose myself when I realized it's been over 6 years since the 2014 draft

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Looks like he's playing in Belarus for Yunost Minsk this season.

I assumed this was a strong possibility, and Shapiro confirmed it ... Oksentyuk will return to play for Flint this year if and when the OHL season gets going. He's just getting in games now in Belarus to stay sharp/develop until he can get back to Canada.

Reactions: Kipper 17

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Crapshoot, and some years back, they used to have more than 7 rounds, so almost anyone on skates could get drafted. Now, it is pretty much SOP to see who got left out that has a shred of a chance, a la, Dillon, Antoine, R, etc.

Overall, happy with the picks. One problem might be that it is too little, too late. It's not like they didn't know they needed scoring forwards for years. Drafting now because of pandemic and cap concerns isn't going to be in time to fill the gaps, assuming any of those crafty FW picks actually impresses and makes the NHL. In all probability, Maverik and no one else ever makes the NHL, maybe one other will get the proverbial cup of coffee.

Zapp

Owner of Fellas Club
Mar 14, 2016
Jyvaskyla
Crapshoot, and some years back, they used to have more than 7 rounds, so almost anyone on skates could get drafted. Now, it is pretty much SOP to see who got left out that has a shred of a chance, a la, Dillon, Antoine, R, etc.

Overall, happy with the picks. One problem might be that it is too little, too late. It's not like they didn't know they needed scoring forwards for years. Drafting now because of pandemic and cap concerns isn't going to be in time to fill the gaps, assuming any of those crafty FW picks actually impresses and makes the NHL. In all probability, Maverik and no one else ever makes the NHL, maybe one other will get the proverbial cup of coffee.

Stranges is boom or bust and with how much he reminds me of Shinkaruk I’m leaning towards bust. I do think Bourque will make the big club but in what capacity. His size might just get him glued to a wing. Ljungman is just Karlstrom 2.0 so I imagine we’ll hear little about him unless he takes major strides in development.

Oksentyuk is the most interesting to me. He’s already done the big transition to NA and handled it very well clearly. I think he’s quick to adapt and being a goal scorer with that trait and still finding ways to put the puck in the net is a special skill.

Reactions: Smelling Salt
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad