Prospect Info: 2020 NHL Entry Draft (Round #1 - 10/6/20 @ 7pm ET)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
What the hell are you talking about? He took the Sharks from expansion team to contender, setting the NHL record for continued improvement in points season over season during his entire tenure. He set the stage for Doug Wilson very, very nicely. Then he took over the Kong’s after they’d missed the playoffs for a half decade and delivered playoffs to them after his first year adjustment in something like seven straight births. With two championships. Then was let go the first time they didn’t qualify. I would say that one of those Kings teams he built had the most dominant playoff runs we’ve seen in the last 20 years. That team looked like they were accidentally placed in the AHL playoffs. They made the entire league their bitches. Dean Lombardi is a top five NHL GM right now. No question.

And where are the Kings now????

tucknroll

Feb 13, 2015
Really hoping we can get Gogolev in the 5th or later, was pretty consistently Guelph's most dangerous player this year. Had a lot of hype around him when he was drafted to the OHL and seems to finally hit a stride. Should be able to step into a position with Tuscan next year.
Also hope the team signs James Hamblin with Medicine Hat, fingers crossed to a AHL contract like i think they should have done for Ryan McGregor who's now using up a contract slot. Could be a solid free prospect though.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
And where are the Kings now????
You can't expect a team to win the cup every year. ALL teams go thru a rebuilding cycle, some are successful at it, some are not. The teams with good management usually are not down for long and become competitive sooner rather than later. Chayka as GM,and RT as a coach have not been successful at the NHL level. I have lost all faith in RT, and my faith in Chayka is dwindling fast. If Chayka doesn't fire RT, then his job should be on the line.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Managed to qualify for the playoffs a few times and assemble as good or better core of players under 25 than we have. I’ll take that 10/10 over the crap we’ve dealt with.
I think our under 25 core is much better than the Kings.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I think our under 25 core is much better than the Kings.
I’m not at all impressed with Schmaltz or Keller. And we got a bit of a head start. We’ve been rebuilding since we traded Yandle. And we’ve gotten NOWHERE since. What do we have to show for the last nine years of awful hockey? Chychrun, Dvorak, Garland, Crouse, Hayton and Soderberg. That’s not even a core. You can’t build around that. Teams that have been contending over the last half decade have better young cores than that. Tampa sure does. And they make the playoffs every year. Our reward for suffering through years and years of losing, is a bunch of young players that really aren’t any better than the new we traded away when this thing began.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
We win a lottery and the rebuild is complete. We lost every single time and continue to be stuck in mediocrity.

how much better does this roster look with a Tkachuk or Svechnikov?

we are a cursed franchise. Never acquiring elite through the draft and being stuck on that 10-16 spot for eternity.

want to turn the franchise around? Tank until you win a lottery.

of course that likely kills the franchise.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
We win a lottery and the rebuild is complete. We lost every single time and continue to be stuck in mediocrity.

how much better does this roster look with a Tkachuk or Svechnikov?

we are a cursed franchise. Never acquiring elite through the draft and being stuck on that 10-16 spot for eternity.

want to turn the franchise around? Tank until you win a lottery.

of course that likely kills the franchise.
Better drafting will turn this franchise around. Winning the lottery is nice, but you need more than one player to be successful. We need to draft players not in the first round that explodes onto the scene, and that only happens with good drafting, and of course luck. We have had many top ten picks in the last years, but none are first line players.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Better drafting will turn this franchise around. Winning the lottery is nice, but you need more than one player to be successful. We need to draft players not in the first round that explodes onto the scene, and that only happens with good drafting, and of course luck. We have had many top ten picks in the last years, but none are first line players.
Yep. Which explains he changes Chayka made to scouting. And according to the prospect experts that has improved dramatically. We will see that though once Mancelli and Jenik arrive.

Reactions: Coyotedroppings

rt

May 13, 2004
Yep. Which explains he changes Chayka made to scouting. And according to the prospect experts that has improved dramatically. We will see that though once Mancelli and Jenik arrive.
Maccelli and Jenik are encouraging. I like Chychrun. I don’t like Keller at all. That Westerlund pick is absolutely f***ing unforgivable. We’ll have to see what becomes of POJ and Bahl. Hayton and Soderstrom seem okay. But I liked Hughes a lot more than Hayton at the time (had Highes tied with Zacha at 3rd overall). I’d have stayed put, not traded up, and picked Peyton Krebs instead of Soderstrom. So id have had a 2nd.

Reactions: Index

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Maccelli and Jenik are encouraging. I like Chychrun. I don’t like Keller at all. That Westerlund pick is absolutely f***ing unforgivable. We’ll have to see what becomes of POJ and Bahl. Hayton and Soderstrom seem okay. But I liked Hughes a lot more than Hayton at the time (had Highes tied with Zacha at 3rd overall). I’d have stayed put, not traded up, and picked Peyton Krebs instead of Soderstrom. So id have had a 2nd.
I’m with you on Hughes. Loved his skating. really liked Krebs as well.

Hayton and Soderstrom need to both be star players to justify the draft capital expended. Chayka’s final grade will largely be determined by their development and role in the NHL. Clock is ticking and we will have our answers soon.

Reactions: Heldig

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
If it doesn’t matter then why’d they do it? Consider that.
What did they do? Nobody has gone on record. We have Earl Camembert with his monthly updates which if you listen to them are nothing short of an embarrassment to journalism.

the whole point for the rules the NhL instituted was to ensure they didn’t run the risk of physically pushing players to the point of risking injury. I’m curious if what they “did” violated this because if all they did was get a look of the physical makeup of a prospect by having them wear exercise clothes.

Last edited:

rt

May 13, 2004
They did something nobody else does and it carried a risk of severe consequences. So dont act like it not actually having a benefit makes it less dumb.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I really don't care what these so called prospect experts say because we have seen first hand how that can change almost over night. Until we get a first line player thru the draft, all the changes Chayka has made mean squat.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
They did something nobody else does and it carried a risk of severe consequences. So dont act like it not actually having a benefit makes it less dumb.
I’m not passing judgement until the investigation is completed. I don’t know what the organization is accused of.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
NHL. Clock is ticking and we will have our answers soon.

Not to drag that other topic in here a bit buuuuut, just for any prospects in general what kinda damage is is gonna do to have an entire crop of 17-18-19 year olds not playing at all during the critical years of their development. This is gonna be very interesting to see how it shakes out whenever play does resume.

tucknroll

Feb 13, 2015
Not to drag that other topic in here a bit buuuuut, just for any prospects in general what kinda damage is is gonna do to have an entire crop of 17-18-19 year olds not playing at all during the critical years of their development. This is gonna be very interesting to see how it shakes out whenever play does resume.
In my opinion it will be minor, if anything at all for most players. Players will have dry land training workouts given to them by their respective teams and most players don't actually get on the ice that consistently in the summer anyways. There will be some rust to shake off in training camp just like every year but as long as the players are taking their training serious, i wouldn't expect it to hold many players back. It's quite amazing how some people are just so naturally talented they can jump back into a sport after not playing for a month and not miss a beat. Prime example is Kessel.. he typically wouldn't even step on the ice till training camp and most players will take it way more serious than that

Last edited:
Reactions: Jakey53

rt

May 13, 2004
YouTube has full SKA MHL games for free. Enjoying getting to watch Marat Khusnutdinov. His very impressive highlight videos don’t punt the whole picture. I’ve noticed a few things I didn’t expect. He’s really strong for a little guy. Doesn’t lose many puck battles. Also, nasty on face-offs. Really good. They put him out for key draws and pull him off when needed. He’s that guy. Additionally, smart defensively. He even gets regular PK time, from what I’ve seen. Exciting little player. I hope we can pick him in the 2nd.

tucknroll

Feb 13, 2015
1stOV would be incredible.
If it's 2nd or 3rd then trade down and get extra picks... Byfield and Rossi have not set themselves apart from other players in the top 10 that will be available at 5-8 in my opinion...
Would rather have Raymond, Perfetti, Drysdale, Struzle at 5-8 and a extra couple picks in the 2nd and 3rd rounds where you can get players like Chromiak, Foerster, Neighbours, Greig, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad