Prospect Info: 2020 NHL Entry Draft (Round #1 - 10/6/20 @ 7pm ET)

Status
Not open for further replies.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Looking back at Chayka's trades...

He has traded
2013 1st and 2nd round pick
2014 1st and second round picks
2015 1st round picks (both of them)
2017 1st round picks (both of them) and 3rd round picks (both of them)
2018 2nd round pick
2020 1st round pick and 2020 3rd round pick
:confused:
2021 2nd or 3rd will go too.

Damn.

2013 1st and 2nd round pick

2014 1st and 2nd round picks

2018 2nd round pick

2020 1st round pick and 2020 3rd round

2021 2nd or 3rd round pick

Aaaaaaand ZERO playoff appearances.

Last edited:

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
The Coyotes have been TRASH at drafting and developing their entire existence. Trading them away willy nilly doesn't help matters.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
But many of the top rated prospects have been traded away.

many of our previously top rated prospects didn’t amount to expectations. The guys we have may not either.

we always said that Chayka needed to fix drafting and development if we were going to make a sustainable move into being a competitor. That will take a few more years before we know if he’s succeeding.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
many of our previously top rated prospects didn’t amount to expectations. The guys we have may not either.

we always said that Chayka needed to fix drafting and development if we were going to make a sustainable move into being a competitor. That will take a few more years before we know if he’s succeeding.
Drafting is one thing, but we have to look back at all his transactions and see if he is worth keeping around. Chayka has made around 40 trades since becoming the GM four years ago. End result is we are a cap team with no playoff appearances. Can we trust him going forward? He hired a loser coach, who hired loser assistants. He went to the owner to get Kessel and the Hall deals approved, both resulting in big failures. If I'm the owner I would be kind of nervous. I don't see Chayka or RT fired this year as I think they have the support of our owner.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Drafting is one thing, but we have to look back at all his transactions and see if he is worth keeping around. Chayka has made around 40 trades since becoming the GM four years ago. End result is we are a cap team with no playoff appearances. Can we trust him going forward? He hired a loser coach, who hired loser assistants. He went to the owner to get Kessel and the Hall deals approved, both resulting in big failures. If I'm the owner I would be kind of nervous. I don't see Chayka or RT fired this year as I think they have the support of our owner.
Key thing you have to remember is we are tight up against the cap for next year only and the cap is staying flat for likely several seasons.

i think Chayka has done fairly well in the trade department. He’s traded for a star netminder, a top quality backup that gives this team a legitimate top 5 goaltending in the league night in and night out. 2 of our top 3 d men came from trades while the other two came from free agency and retaining their top d man who nobody thought we could retain. Our forwards are taking some time to round into form and much of the grade I feel will rest on his ability to put Hall’s name on an extension. Yes we are painted into a corner for one season. One that wasn’t nearly looking as bad until we took the $4-$6 million increase in cap off the table by a global pandemic nobody predicted. Honestly I’m more than fine with Chayka for next season. Every single cap concern we have disappears after 2020/21 season.

tucknroll

Feb 13, 2015
I thought going through those exercises would make me like Rossi less and Perfetti more. That didn't happen.

I'm just looking at stats, reading scouting reports, watching highlight videos, and using my historical knowledge of entry drafts, though. Unlike @tucknroll - I've seen these guys play in very few full games.

Rossi definitely seems behind the curve when adjusting for age, and I don't think taking a full year is fair. I like my method better because it doesn't mitigate experience factors as much. He's clearly a less productive player than these two if you age-adjust, even in a fair way.

However, he did have the single most productive D-2 year in the Swiss league ever. Ahead of guys like Meier, Hischier, Niederreiter, and Ehlers, etc. So that's also encouraging.

I just like some of what I've seen and read about Rossi. He's got an NHL ready game, and NHL ready build. Byfield is painfully lanky and plays too soft a game for his size (this could change). Perfetti is pretty soft too. Rossi on the other hand is a tank who doesn't lose many puck battles. Perfetti plays a super skilled, very nifty game. Byfield is a rush player who lives on transition. Rossi seems to be the most direct player, who spends the most amount of time in the high-danger areas. Byfield is a work in progress defensively, and Perfetti seems to be very poor in that regard (guilty of typical junior star cherry-picking, and cheating, etc). Rossi on the other hand is lauded as a three zone dynamo who's exception positionally and defensively. Then there is the fact that he's a true center and wins 60% of his draws already. Perfetti is likely to be a winger. Byfield is still working on some of the aspects of being a true center, it seems.

That said, it's all about projection. All I'm looking at is the last couple of years and the next couple of years. I like Rossi alot in that time range. But maybe he's lagging way behind beyond that. I guess that's what real scouts can see. It's hard to argue with a guy like Byfield who's arguably pretty close to Rossi now, but is 6'4 and skates like the wind.
Great job with your posts, i really enjoyed the age adjustments you made too, very creative
I think Hischier is actually a great comparison for Rossi, I see Rossi's ceiling being fairly very similar. That hard working great second line center that plays a Crosby-esque style who can be used on your first line if needed.
I've had this typed and sitting for over a day because i had more bottom 5 vs top 5 stats, but i seem to have misplaced the sheet i wrote them on unfortunately. It was for shot production... was good stats for Byfield, didn't do much for Rossi and i didn't like it for Perfetti. Still think i like Raymond the most though. I will also be very upset if Jersey drafts Gunler with the Coyotes pick. I'm a big fan of his potential and think he's a great player who will be drafted later than he should be.

rt

May 13, 2004
So it's official. We don't have a 1st round pick in this draft.

Chayk has now traded away:

2013 1st and 2nd round picks
2018 2nd round pick
2021 2nd or 3rd round pick (conditional)

Aaaaaaand he has ZERO playoff appearances for the trouble. Not one.

It's time to remove this General Manager and his entire staff. The coaching staff needs to go, too. We hired Chayka because we had lousy ownership and no money and he's all we could get. We hired Tocceht because we had lousy ownership and no money and he's all we could get. We have Alex Meruelo now. Things have changed. We don't have to have completely unqualified people in our top positions like Chayka and Tocchet. Neither had the resume to justify their positions. They got the opportunity anyway, and they have failed spectacularly.

Anyway, this is the draft thread. I've been watching some MHL games, and I really hope Marat Khusnutdinov drops to our 2nd rounder. I'd really like to draft this kid.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
So it's official. We don't have a 1st round pick in this draft.

Chayk has now traded away:

2013 1st and 2nd round picks
2018 2nd round pick
2021 2nd or 3rd round pick (conditional)

Aaaaaaand he has ZERO playoff appearances for the trouble. Not one.

It's time to remove this General Manager and his entire staff. The coaching staff needs to go, too. We hired Chayka because we had lousy ownership and no money and he's all we could get. We hired Tocceht because we had lousy ownership and no money and he's all we could get. We have Alex Meruelo now. Things have changed. We don't have to have completely unqualified people in our top positions like Chayka and Tocchet. Neither had the resume to justify their positions. They got the opportunity anyway, and they have failed spectacularly.

Anyway, this is the draft thread. I've been watching some MHL games, and I really hope Marat Khusnutdinov drops to our 2nd rounder. I'd really like to draft this kid.
How many former first round picks did he get in return? Chychrun, Schmaltz, Hall, Grabner, Kessel, Crouse? Who else.

I think our roster composition is off but I think our roster is light years ahead of where it was when Chayka started (be thankful we didn’t extend Hanzal and/or Bodker to 5 year extensions). Overall I think Chayka won more trades then he lost with the very notable exception of Domi. I’m okay with Chayka. I do have issues with Tocchet.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
How many former first round picks did he get in return? Chychrun, Schmaltz, Hall, Grabner, Kessel, Crouse? Who else.

I think our roster composition is off but I think our roster is light years ahead of where it was when Chayka started (be thankful we didn’t extend Hanzal and/or Bodker to 5 year extensions). Overall I think Chayka won more trades then he lost with the very notable exception of Domi. I’m okay with Chayka. I do have issues with Tocchet.
I don't think I would brag about former first round picks who are over the hill when we got them.

Reactions: lanky

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I don't think I would brag about former first round picks who are over the hill when we got them.
I don’t think I’d cry over some of the picks we’ve taken and traded either.

Grabner when he was healthy (pre eye injury) had a defined role on this squad that he was excelling in. It’s too bad he got injured.

Kessel was my favourite player/personality in the league. I want him off the team ASAP. And here’s another reason to target Tocchet for vouching for him.

rt

May 13, 2004
Is it official?
No. I guess not. Craig Morgan conformed for me when I asked via twitter that the pick was “Top 3” protected rather than “Lottery” protected. It’s not out for he question that Arizona appeals this. I personally think it would tacky to do so. If the condition is “Top 3” and the pick ends up at sixth, well, I think that’s simple math for an honest man.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
95e67b35ad67aa897fb2a362383eb56b.jpg

Reactions: RemoAZ

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017

Hossa, if you want to include Kessel, you should also include Hossa?

:naughty:

Reactions: rt

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I don’t think I’d cry over some of the picks we’ve taken and traded either.

Grabner when he was healthy (pre eye injury) had a defined role on this squad that he was excelling in. It’s too bad he got injured.

Kessel was my favourite player/personality in the league. I want him off the team ASAP. And here’s another reason to target Tocchet for vouching for him.
Chayka won't fire RT, won't trade Kessel, won't trade Stepan, It was easy for Chayka to make trades, around 40 since hired as GM, because the players we not his guys but now this is his team and he seems to be getting stubborn and not admitting when he is wrong. I still think going forward we need someone who has final say on Chayka's moves.

rt

May 13, 2004
So I'm liking the availability of full MHL games. Really opened my eyes on Marat Khusnutdinov. Should I also check out Alexander Pashin and Shakir Mukhamadullin? Pashin's stats and scouting report are interesting, but he's a 5'7 winger. So I'm not so sure I want to bother. Mukhamadullin is interesting from a size, and scouting report perspective. But I'm not sure MHL games are going to be that telling. Everyone projects him as a stay-at-home defensive D, but in the MHL he's able to put up points. So I'm guessing he won't look like he's going to once he gets to the KHL/NHL.

Are there any other leagues out there with full games for free? I'd rather watch something besides MHL if they're out there.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Galchenyuk was his guy and he traded him.
Kessel was RT's guy. Not sure if Chucky was Chayka's "guy" as we have no idea what was out there for Domi, so maybe this was the best of the worst.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Kessel was RT's guy. Not sure if Chucky was Chayka's "guy" as we have no idea what was out there for Domi, so maybe this was the best of the worst.

Penguins offered the Coyotes a choice of wingers, believed to be Conor Sheary or Bryan Rust, with Dominik Simon.

sundance74

Oct 13, 2013
North of Puszta
Since we're going to have a 24 team playoffs this year - if any at all, is there a possibility for us to go now to playoffs and being in the draft tombola at the same time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Real Madrid vs Cádiz
    Real Madrid vs Cádiz
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $4,740.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Monaco vs Clermont Foot
    Monaco vs Clermont Foot