Prospect Info: 2020 NHL Entry Draft (Round #1 - 10/6/20 @ 7pm ET)

Status
Not open for further replies.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Don't like Foudy. At all. Wouldn't even have him on my list.

We really need D. I could see someone like Villeneuve being available at 41.
We aren’t picking 41 anymore. ;)

Foudy is so good at getting the puck and then skating it into the offensive zone...and skating it around the offensive zone...and around again...and again...and oops...it’s cleared with no shots. Damn.

It’s the Joakim Lindstrom special.

But he is a good playmaker. So if he could just throw it to the net front or ideally get stronger and take it there himself, he’d be a helluva player. At 49th overall, I think he’s an okay gamble. He’s got a lot to work on but he can wheel like a bastard and is great at hanging onto the puck. He’s just a little too great. Lol.

Last edited:

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
We aren’t picking 41 anymore. ;)

Foudy is so good at getting the puck and then skating it into the offensive zone...and skating it around the offensive zone...and around again...and again...and oops...it’s cleared with no shots. Damn.

I feel like he's one good pro coach and a little weight away from being an impact player. Good value in the third or later. Similar knocks were said about Dillon Dube and that has turned out just fine for the Flames.

rt

May 13, 2004
I feel like he's one good pro coach and a little weight away from being an impact player. Good value in the third or later. Similar knocks were said about Dillon Dube and that has turned out just fine for the Flames.
You quoted before my edit was done. Haha.

If we take Foudy at 49 there will certainly be a handful of players there I like better but I won’t be disappointed. I’d be eager to keep an eye on his development and hope for the best.

I wouldn’t compare him to Dube at all, by the way. Dube is more Conor Garland like, IMO. I think Foudy is very much like Nick Schmaltz in many ways, good and bad.

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
Did beating Nashville count as winning a round? Or is Colorado the "real" round that transfers the 3rd to a 2nd?

From everything I have understood, Nashville didn't count as a round. FWIW.

rt

May 13, 2004
From everything I have understood, Nashville didn't count as a round. FWIW.
We made the playoffs. Therefore we aren’t picking 41st any longer. Chicago and Montreal are the only two playoff teams with worse records. Chicago has been eliminated and is currently the first playoff team in the draft order. If Montreal is eliminated they will bump them. Assuming that happens, and assuming we are also eliminated, we will be the third playoff team in the draft order. All non-playoff teams, including Edmonton, Toronto, Pittsburgh etc, draft first.

Name Nameless

Apr 12, 2017
We made the playoffs. Therefore we aren’t picking 41st any longer. Chicago and Montreal are the only two playoff teams with worse records. Chicago has been eliminated and is currently the first playoff team in the draft order. If Montreal is eliminated they will bump them. Assuming that happens, and assuming we are also eliminated, we will be the third playoff team in the draft order. All non-playoff teams, including Edmonton, Toronto, Pittsburgh etc, draft first.

Capfriendly has the second rounder at 49, so yes, making the playoffs did cost some spots. The winning a round thing is if the Yotes wins over Colorado. Then next years loss of a third is upgraded to the loss of a second. If Hall then resigns, it will be further upgraded to the first in 21. If Avs win now, but Hall still resigns, next years loss of a third is also upgraded to the loss of a second.

Name Nameless

Apr 12, 2017
Isn't there some soft, undersized, one-dimensional winger we could trade the second rounder for?

With some "luck", the NHL just cancels it as a punishment for Chaykas trickery. And then the Devils ends up with some surprising late-round steals, when this draft is evaluated in some years.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
WHL has fallen behind the other leagues in recent years. Highest scoring picks from each league since 2016 (when Chayka took over):

WHL:
1. Nolan Patrick - 61 points
2. Brett Howden - 42 points
3. Sam Steel - 33 points

OHL:
1. Matthew Tkachuk - 235 points
2. Alex DeBrincat - 173 points
3. Mikhail Sergachev - 106 points

QMJHL:
1. Pierre-Luc Dubois - 158 points
2. Nico Hischer - 135 points
3. Samuel Girard - 84 points

This only takes points into consideration but that's some pretty striking differences.

Reactions: lanky

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Nobody can score in the WHL. Look at the list of goalie Sv%.

I assume this is due to how kids are allocated to the junior leagues. I'm guessing there's just a lot lower raw number of players in the west available to select from.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
Well, moving back to #49 definitely changes things. I still thought we could move back from #41 into this territory and pick up an extra pick. Now, I am not so sure.

#49: Colangelo, Weisblat, Cuylle, Foudy, Peterson, Grans, Jurmo

If we get lucky and a number of these players are still available, maybe we can move back and get an addition pick in the 75-95 range. That is where I think teams will start to move around to try and get one of those last few players. If we could pick up another pick in that area, I would like to see the following players in the mix between 75 and our next pick at 111: Robins, Vierling, Finley, Morrisson, Thompson, Trineev, Gleason, McClennon, Maatta, Faber, Coe, Moore

That would be my goal - if we have a mix of players and can move back from 49 or have the right mix of players to send away to get a 3rd round pick, there is still some decent talent available through the 3rd, and even up to the 4th.

rt

May 13, 2004
Ottawa has three 1sts, four 2nds, and two 3rds.
They should be looking to consolidate, I would think.
It could be their two 3rds (64th and 74th) are available for our 2nd (49).
I'd have felt better about that possibility if our pick was still 41st. This feels a bit like ripping them off. But they really can't take 9 kids in the first three rounds, anyway. They'll never be able to sign them all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad