Prospect Info: 2020 NHL Entry Draft (Round #1 - 10/6/20 @ 7pm ET)

Status
Not open for further replies.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Eh. I'm fine with them disappearing, but it's not as though the Bernhardt group was blowing the socks off drafts or anything. Early returns don't look any different. I don't need a culling to feel better.

JasonDemersWasOkay

Nov 14, 2018
That’s insane to be how blunt Button is in his remark there. Chayka did so much to hurt not just the franchise’s cap situation and future outlook, he also seems to have eroded so much of the perception of the coyotes organization around the league (which was already that of a red-headed stepchild)

Based on what I’ve heard so far from 31 in 31 podcast, if there’s anyone who can turn the coyotes into an actual team to the rest of the league and not just a joke it’s Armstrong right now. He doesn’t even have to be good, just respectable. Just normal.

Reactions: Jakey53

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I know Button was buddy buddy with Bernhardt but he doesn't hold back here

How dare he say anything bad about Chayka, our ex golden boy, top 5 GM in the league etc. etc. More and more bad coming out about Chayka. This is going to be fun, knowing we have an experienced hockey guy in the fold. Who is going to be fired first. And who is going to be hired first. We may not have many picks this year, but this should keep us occupied.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I’ve heard so many things from different people about how what Chayka was doing from a scouting perspective and was hated around the league. I just wasn’t sure if he was “disrupting” the “old boys club”. I f***ing hate Silicon Valley CEO worship bullshit. Anyone who’s a “visionary” or wants to “disrupt” needs to GTFO.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I know Button was buddy buddy with Bernhardt but he doesn't hold back here

It’s an opinion and it’s early but we do have a couple of prospects from this group of scouts that I’m really excited about. It’s going to take some time before we know if Chayka’s scouting methodologies we’re above, average, or below average.

I really like Button but this feels like piling on at this stage.

I do agree that the scouting staff is going to be redone.

Reactions: Gwyddbwyll

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX

Going to be hard with budget restrictions. An unstable org. like the Coyotes won't be super appealing relative to other teams. Bringing in cheap video scouts might have been more out of necessity than anything else.

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I’ve heard so many things from different people about how what Chayka was doing from a scouting perspective and was hated around the league. I just wasn’t sure if he was “disrupting” the “old boys club”. I f***ing hate Silicon Valley CEO worship bullshit. Anyone who’s a “visionary” or wants to “disrupt” needs to GTFO.

I liked last year's idea of showing the players videos of themselves making mistakes and having them explain their thought process.

The interview process is so bland and useless. At least that was a way to change it up.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
It’s an opinion and it’s early but we do have a couple of prospects from this group of scouts that I’m really excited about. It’s going to take some time before we know if Chayka’s scouting methodologies we’re above, average, or below average.

No matter what you think about the current staff, I'm sure he'll want to set up his own guys and it's not like we've been great at identifying or grooming talent. Nobody will be sad to see change here. As to stability concerns, the guy has at least 4 years of stability to pitch. I don't think that will be a problem and the financial stuff with Meruelo is just noise. I'm sure he's tightening the belt on all his businesses just like the rest of the world. The team will be fine.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Going to be hard with budget restrictions. An unstable org. like the Coyotes won't be super appealing relative to other teams. Bringing in cheap video scouts might have been more out of necessity than anything else.
Most scouts have contracts that expire right after the draft. So not sure if they were extended from end of June to end of Oct or not.

the one area I’m certain that was highlighted in the 90 page presentation would have been the need to identify talent and prioritizing the draft. You don’t bring in this GM (do we just call him Puddy?) if you don’t buy into that philosophy.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
No matter what you think about the current staff, I'm sure he'll want to set up his own guys and it's not like we've been great at identifying or grooming talent. Nobody will be sad to see change here. As to stability concerns, the guy has at least 4 years of stability to pitch. I don't think that will be a problem and the financial stuff with Meruelo is just noise. I'm sure he's tightening the belt on all his businesses just like the rest of the world. The team will be fine.
He’s getting his own staff no question. I just haven’t written off the efforts of Chayka in this area as that process hasn’t really played itself out fully.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
They completely gutted the scouting department to take young , inexperienced, and cheap guys who would "buy into what we're trying to do". If several of Hayton, Jenik, Maccelli, Steenbergen, etc hit, full credit has to go to Chayka and Hofford, imo.
That's not nearly enough to wash his hands of the disaster he assembled at the pro level, and other mismanagement, but he should get full credit (or jeers) for those guys.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Eh. I'm fine with them disappearing, but it's not as though the Bernhardt group was blowing the socks off drafts or anything. Early returns don't look any different. I don't need a culling to feel better.
I'm happy we went outside the organization to find a well respected person. Sullivan might be one hell of a nice guy, but I just felt we would shooting our self in the foot again, same as with Burke. I would have preferred a Hextal or Shero, but they were not in the cards at this time. Now it's time for everyone to leave Armstrong along and let him do his thing. He has been there and done that. If he wants to keep RT, so be it, he is driving the bus.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

I think Button is a big mouth, and I think he is piling it on a bit, but we have seen first hand what kind of character Chayka has. I'm going to sleep real well tonight. No Chia, McGuire, Olczyk dreams tonight. Well done Meruelo and company.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I think Button is a big mouth, and I think he is piling it on a bit, but we have seen first hand what kind of character Chayka has. I'm going to sleep real well tonight. No Chia, McGuire, Olczyk dreams tonight. Well done Meruelo and company.
I actually quite like Button. Met him at U18’s. We both had a huge love of what we were seeing from Logan Brown.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Good post.:thumbu:

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I actually quite like Button. Met him at U18’s. We both had a huge love of what we were seeing from Logan Brown.
I believe he is a nice guy, most hockey people are. I'm sure if I met him I would change my mind.:)

rt

May 13, 2004
The vanguard of innovation isn’t winning the NHL right now. The Dinos are still ruling the earth. Chayka was interesting but maybe too ahead of his time. And also ZERO beerability.

rt

May 13, 2004
He’s getting his own staff no question. I just haven’t written off the efforts of Chayka in this area as that process hasn’t really played itself out fully.
True. Even if he had stayed, these results definitely feel much more like a forensic pathology report, though. There are likely to be some surprising and interesting results, but this was a franchise homicide and Chayka definitely done it. Candle stick in the study.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Just listened to the Button clip....

Leafs Lunch: September 17, 2020 - Hour 1 (29:15 mark)

He certainly didn't pull punches. :laugh:

Pierre LeBrun was in on that conversation, btw.

From what I caught on the segment we're headed for another five years of......

09dc77d59858e23aecd4f5e5d2cba0d7.jpeg

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Last edited:

ParisSaintGermain

Jan 19, 2004
Just listened to the Button clip....

Leafs Lunch: September 17, 2020 - Hour 1 (29:15 mark)

He certainly didn't pull punches. :laugh:

Pierre LeBrun was in on that conversation, btw.

From what I caught on the segment we're headed for another five years of......

09dc77d59858e23aecd4f5e5d2cba0d7.jpeg

Button with the full on personal grudge there; to the point that Pierre Lebrun opts to stay silent then changes the conversation.

Chayka has clearly done some terrible things, but his drafting and the work of the scouting staff seem to me quite low in the horrendous list at this stage (if we exclude the whole testing scandal naturally).

Hayton captain and decisive figure of Canada's WJC

Jenik close to a McDavid record in the juniors

Prov, looking a goalie of the future

Soderstrom, Macelli etc..

I mean, I cannot remember having some prospects with potential like that during the Bernhard/Maloney era if I am honest/not suffer too much from amnesia.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Button with the full on personal grudge there; to the point that Pierre Lebrun opts to stay silent then changes the conversation.

Chayka has clearly done some terrible things, but his drafting and the work of the scouting staff seem to me quite low in the horrendous list at this stage (if we exclude the whole testing scandal naturally).

Hayton captain and decisive figure of Canada's WJC

Jenik close to a McDavid record in the juniors

Prov, looking a goalie of the future

Soderstrom, Macelli etc..

I mean, I cannot remember having some prospects with potential like that during the Bernhard/Maloney era if I am honest/not suffer too much from amnesia.
I have said it before, but if Chayka had someone to report to with the Coyotes I think many deals may not have occurred. He had more deals than any other GM in the same amount of time while he was here. He is good at what he does, but he let his position get the best of him. We had way to much turn over in a small amount of time, and you can't build a team like that. It takes patience and more patience.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Frankly, I'm not putting a lot of stock into Craig Button's takedown of Chayka's scouting system. Seems too much like the initial scout meeting in the Moneyball movie when Billy Beane sits listening to the scouts discussing the prospects' girlfriends and jawlines.

rt

May 13, 2004
Frankly, I'm not putting a lot of stock into Craig Button's takedown of Chayka's scouting system. Seems too much like the initial scout meeting in the Moneyball movie when Billy Beane sits listening to the scouts discussing the prospects' girlfriends and jawlines.
I suspect the truth is in the middle and it won’t matter anyway because BA is going to want his own guys on his team, regardless. And I think that’s good. I’m more comfortable with BA, sight unseen, than I ever was with Chayka, who always scared the crap out of me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad