Player Discussion 2020 NHL Entry Draft, Pick 22: Capitals select Hendrix Lapierre, C, Chicoutimi Saguenéens / QMJHL

Kuz

May 11, 2015
I like the Lapierre pick. If caps want to have a competive team after Ovi they need to take some risks on prospects that might bust, but have the potential to be great.

McMichael, Protas, Lapierre, Fehervary and Alexeyev if they develop as planned is a solid group.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Red Wings fan sharing, dunno if this was posted...

upload_2020-10-8_17-49-43.png

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada

Not sure if this was posted anywhere but it seems like the Caps were in on Lapierre from around the late teens. They also believe that he projects to be a 1c.

Love it. Very deliberate. Scouts are stoked.

And I didn't watch him live, but looking at that vid, the commissioner has Parkinson's. It's unmistakable. So sad. :(

TheFountainhead

Red Nation
Sep 8, 2008
Washington, DC
TSN director of scouting Craig Button still has Lapierre ranked No. 10 on his latest list. And Lapierre was still among the three nominees for the Mike Bossy Trophy, which is given to the Quebec league's top professional prospect.
"Lapierre is the wild card of this draft," Button said. "I should probably have him higher based on his potential, because I think he's a top-five player if he can return to full health. He's the best two-way player in the draft."

Hendrix Lapierre the ultimate draft wild card after injury-plagued season - TSN.ca

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
Caps track record on gambles has been pretty good so far:
* Kuznetsov -- gamble: there was a chance when the Caps drafted him he would remain in the KHL
* Tom Wilson -- gamble: little was known about him when the Caps drafted him, other than his terrific size and strength
I'd say only gamble that didn't pay off for us was Burakovsky. He had all the skill and talent, but he never developed that
NHL size body that you need in the league.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Caps track record on gambles has been pretty good so far:
* Kuznetsov -- gamble: there was a chance when the Caps drafted him he would remain in the KHL
* Tom Wilson -- gamble: little was known about him when the Caps drafted him, other than his terrific size and strength
I'd say only gamble that didn't pay off for us was Burakovsky. He had all the skill and talent, but he never developed that
NHL size body that you need in the league.
I think that's a bit unfair to Burakovsky. He played in 328 games for the Caps and helped them win their only Stanley Cup so I wouldn't say the gamble didn't pay off. And with Bura it was never about size or strength, it was the mental game that held him back.

Also, check out the 2013 NHL Draft results and tell me who would have been a better pick than Burakovsky. There only players drafted behind him that could have an argument for being drafted ahead of him: Brett Pesce, Jake Guentzel, Andrew Copp, maybe Pavel Buchnevich... that's it, and no one in the first round. For context, AB has more NHL games played in that draft than anyone drafted after 9th overall and more than two of the guys in the top ten. That's pretty solid value for his draft slot.

I think Burakovsky suffers from Alexander Semin Syndrome. Semin was more talented but both those guys were so supremely gifted that you thought they should become dominant stars and as such, reality vs expectations made people think they were disappointments. I know Bura frustrated me to no end but he was still a solid NHL player here.

Reactions: Capagonia

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
Fair points about Bura.

Another gamble that paid off in spades for the Caps was Brett Connoly. Selected 6th overall by the Tampa Bay Lightning, he never lived up to expectaions with both Tampa and Boston. But when the Caps signed him as a free agent, he regained his form, and he did so on the third line, giving the Caps amazing depth. He was a significant bottom 6 contributor to the 2018 Cup run, along with DSP, Lars Eller, and Andre Burakovsky.

My point is both McPhee and BMac like to gamble on some of their draft picks / free agent acquisitions, and in large part those gambles have paid off.

I think Lapierre might be another one.

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
I know the Nats do all the time, but do the Caps gamble on players with injury histories? I cant remember any that comes to mind. At least the Caps don't have the Washington Football Team medical staff. But... the Wizards medical staff is pretty bad too and that's Monumental..

Rayquaza64

McMichael>McDavid
May 30, 2019
Virginia
I know the Nats do all the time, but do the Caps gamble on players with injury histories? I cant remember any that comes to mind. At least the Caps don't have the Washington Football Team medical staff. But... the Wizards medical staff is pretty bad too and that's Monumental..
Alexeyev had a poor medical history, but thats the only one really besides lapierre.

Reactions: tenken00

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
Also like the fact that Lapierre is French Canadien. They produce a disproportionate amount of great hockey players -- from
Guy LaFleur to Mario. Just in their blood.

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
Looking at their options, the QMJHL also has a single game stream at $8 a piece... lol.

Do they even have an English broadcast? They should have an English broadcast at that price.

Last edited:

Dr John Carlson

Dec 21, 2011
Nova Scotia
Sucks that the one time they draft someone from the QMJHL is the season where Quebec teams are restricted from coming to play in Halifax where I could watch in-person. Unlucky.

Reactions: Calicaps

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad