Player Discussion 2020 NHL Entry Draft, Pick 22: Capitals select Hendrix Lapierre, C, Chicoutimi Saguenéens / QMJHL

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I think that's a bit unfair to Burakovsky. He played in 328 games for the Caps and helped them win their only Stanley Cup so I wouldn't say the gamble didn't pay off. And with Bura it was never about size or strength, it was the mental game that held him back.

Also, check out the 2013 NHL Draft results and tell me who would have been a better pick than Burakovsky. There only players drafted behind him that could have an argument for being drafted ahead of him: Brett Pesce, Jake Guentzel, Andrew Copp, maybe Pavel Buchnevich... that's it, and no one in the first round. For context, AB has more NHL games played in that draft than anyone drafted after 9th overall and more than two of the guys in the top ten. That's pretty solid value for his draft slot.

I think Burakovsky suffers from Alexander Semin Syndrome. Semin was more talented but both those guys were so supremely gifted that you thought they should become dominant stars and as such, reality vs expectations made people think they were disappointments. I know Bura frustrated me to no end but he was still a solid NHL player here.

disagree to some extent..there were absolutely 2 years where he needed to add 15lbs of muscle, didn’t and it showed. But he wasn’t a gamble to me as a pick.

Reactions: sycamore

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
My initial sense is Lapierre will have a tough time cracking this lineup:

Newhook - Cozens - Mercer
McMichael - Byfield - Quinn
Perfetti - Krebs - Jarvis
Holloway - Tomasino - Rees
Pelletier/Poulin

Pretty stacked and that's without Lafreniere. It's a helpful inclusion for the experience if nothing else and perhaps his center/wing flexibility could help some. Looks like there will be a lot of practices, three intrasquad games and six matches against the U SPORTS all-stars over the course of a month or so. If he makes it that far there will also be a couple of pre-tournament games, although with bubble restrictions you'd think they'd narrow the team all the way down before then. Rosters will be expanded allowing for a 14th forward but, still, no easy feat. But his Hlinka performance may help some, specifically some of the chemistry he had with Perfetti.

Last edited:

Capagonia

Oct 20, 2009
VA
Apparently the Blackhawks are loaning out Kirby Dach for the tournament. Adding another high end forward to the mix doesn’t help Hendrix much on paper that’s for sure.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Yeah, probably a long shot but very good to be in that environment going up against a player like Dach and others that are fairly close to being NHL-ready. Dach looked poised to break out for Chicago in the bubble so he should be dominant. Looks like Hendrix will miss 9 or 10 QMJHL games if he stays until the end of camp but the battle should be good for him. If Dach lines up at center it becomes even more difficult to imagine there's a realistic path for Lapierre this year but always good to see how he stacks up. It's generally a 19yo tournament so next year will be his main chance to shine.

Rayquaza64

McMichael>McDavid
May 30, 2019
Virginia
I wonder if the Rangers are going to loan Lafreniere to do the WJC again, if so they basically confirm kill Hendrix's chances, because right now i could see somethin like

McMichael-Byfield-Dach
Cozens-Newhook-Perfetti
Tomasino-Krebs-Pelletier
Mercer-Lapierre-Suzuki
Quinn
Poulin

(probably different but this is probably best case scenario and kind of based on last year's lines when laf was out)

this of course would be the lines if lapierre were to make it but his chances arent that high at this point, so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited:

Plekatorz

Jun 6, 2019
I’m a member of the TSLH podcast (in french sorry :sarcasm:) and we will be receiving a scout of the Washington Capitals on our next episode (brag). We would like to give the chance to everyone to ask him questions about his job, scouting, etc. You can shoot them to me here or by private message (as you want). I hope that we will receive a lot of them (the episode will be registered monday and broadcast on wednesday, facebook, youtube, applepodcast and on a lot of other plateform
S of podcast).

I’ll try to translate them here afterward.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad