Player Discussion 2020 NHL Entry Draft, Pick 22: Capitals select Hendrix Lapierre, C, Chicoutimi Saguenéens / QMJHL

PB12

Jul 7, 2015
Washington has traded the 24th and 80th picks to Calgary for the 22nd pick. With the 22nd pick, Washington selects Hendrix Lapierre, C, Chicoutimi Saguenéens / QMJHL.

Scouting report: Concussion and neck problems potentially derailed a season that got off to a spectacular start at the Hlinka Gretzky Cup. Lapierre is a high-end talent with excellent vision and puck skills, though his QMJHL performance when he was healthy -- or at least moderately healthy -- was not in line with his previously lofty projections. -- Peters

Team fit: The Capitals traded up to select Lapierre, and he'll be worth the third-round pick they anted up if he can stay healthy. Now, that's asking a lot, considering his three concussions in a 10-month span in 2019. That's a little scary. But when a young forward has the playmaking puck skills and skating ability that Lapierre does, with favorable comparisons to a player like Jonathan Toews as a two-way center, it's worth the shot. This could easily be one of those picks where hockey scholars in the future wonder how one of the NHL's better centers could have lasted this long in the draft.

Where Lapierre is most likely to play in 2020-21: QMJHL

2020 NHL draft: Pick tracker and analysis for every team

Last edited by a moderator:

Lucky Luke

Jun 17, 2006
He is very good. Has the potential to eventually replace Backstrom if well developed and of course, if he's stays healthy.

PB12

Jul 7, 2015
Couple of things from Mac.

1.Even with the injuries, thought the upside was too good to pass up.
2.About trading the 3rd, he heard rumors that teams below were trying to trade up and didn't want to lose him. Also said the other players avaliable didn't have the upside he did.

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010

Kuzy Jr. Going to have to catch some Chicoutimi games in the coming months for sure.

Responding to you in this thread, but I think its really cool that Caps fans can actually watch and have a rooting interest in live hockey games (in a North American time zone) right now while the rest of the leagues are shutdown for who knows how many more months.

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
Someone posted last year that the Caps may have been interested in trading up for Krebs who was coming off an Achilles, they must do their homework on these guys medically

Reactions: koalabear9301

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010

States that he models his game after Kuzy and wears 92. Big Ovechkin fan since he was a kid.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2020/10/06/hendrix-lapierre-capitals-nhl-draft/

Lapierre said he was a huge Alex Ovechkin fan growing up, and he had a poster of the Capitals’ captain on his wall as a kid. The first jersey he ever owned was a Capitals Ovechkin sweater, spurring his love for the team.

“Washington holds a special place in my heart, and I’m really, really happy to be a part of that organization, for sure,” Lapierre said.

Roshi

Feb 7, 2013
Finland
I love the 'boom or bust'. Though using both our top picks to climb up only 2 spots and for one guy seems a little reach, but the more I read about the guy the more im liking it. And obviously our scouting deserves to be trusted, they have very solid record.

Wouldnt def have minded Zary either, but hey, this is very interesting pick.

Draft fantasy for d2; Can we somehow get back into 2nd round? Im really liking Roni Hirvonen. Has some Sebastian Aho (lite)/Roope Hintz/Joel Kiviranta vibes in him, and his numbers are pretty similar. His size should drop him anywhere into the 50-70 mix and might end up being a steal.

TheSmokingMan

Nov 20, 2006
Maryland

I see a lot of Hockey IQ in these highlights. Very good vision and playmaking. He has strong top 6 potential if he can stay healthy. I see why GMBM thought it was worth the risk. This could end up being the biggest bargain of the first round if it pans out.

The Instigator

Tom Wilson - NHL All Star
Feb 6, 2010
I love the 'boom or bust'. Though using both our top picks to climb up only 2 spots and for one guy seems a little reach, but the more I read about the guy the more im liking it. And obviously our scouting deserves to be trusted, they have very solid record.

Wouldnt def have minded Zary either, but hey, this is very interesting pick.

Draft fantasy for d2; Can we somehow get back into 2nd round? Im really liking Roni Hirvonen. Has some Sebastian Aho (lite)/Roope Hintz/Joel Kiviranta vibes in him, and his numbers are pretty similar. His size should drop him anywhere into the 50-70 mix and might end up being a steal.
I wouldn't have minded Zary either, but to see us move up for a skill guy is a surprising development.

The people who make the decisions must be high on him and I'll easily jump on board for a guy with this kind of talent.

Reactions: Roshi

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009

The number helps obviously, but I see a lot of Kuzy in these highlights

Same, he's not as effortlessly smooth but he makes up for it with a little more defensive engagement by the looks of it.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
If he's healthy, he looks like a heist.

Big if, but if the Caps are going to rebuild quickly at some point, they have to hit on some of these types of players. I think they felt as an organization that they could take this swing with McMichael already in the fold. Prospects with big time upside are what they need.

Reactions: koalabear9301

4thTierSport

Feb 15, 2009
I legit thought that was Max Lapierre’s son for a second. :laugh: Then I realized that Lappy probably isn’t even 40 yet.

Reactions: Calicaps

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad