Prospect Info: 2020 NHL Entry Draft Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
When it comes to OHL prospects there is only 1 source.

9. Jacob Perreault - Right Wing - Sarnia Sting
Honestly, Perreault is going to be one of the most difficult players for NHL scouts to formulate a concise opinion on this year. There are so many good components to his game that could translate to him becoming a high end and dynamic goal scorer at the NHL level. And there are some more alarming components that could scare teams away or prevent him from living up to his potential. It really depends on what night you see him. I also think that not having the U18's really hurt Perreault because it would have been his chance to show scouts that he can handle a lot of offensive responsibility against the best of his peers after being cut from the Canadian Hlinka/Gretzky squad in the summer. Let's start with the positives. At his best, Perreault is a dynamic skater who is both explosive and fluid, possessing the ability to beat any defender coming down the wing. Like JL Foudy in Windsor, the Sting use Perreault to handle zone entries, especially on the powerplay where he'll circle back to his own end and lead the charge from behind his own blueline. Perreault is also a skilled goal scorer because he possesses many weapons to find the back of the net. He is most at home working the half wall and below. You can't give him daylight down there, because he won't hesitate to gather and shoot, even from bad angles, yet he manages to still beat goalies clean. He can also set up at the dot and work one timers similar to Ovechkin/Stamkos. Perreault has some jam to his game too. I certainly wouldn't classify him as a perimeter player. Alright now the negatives. For such a dynamic skater, Perreault gets bottled up in the neutral zone a lot because he stops moving his feet. I had one scout tell me that they think it's a conditioning issue, which I could see. But turnovers can be problem in this area of the ice for him. I also think that he has yet to truly master the ability to use his speed to his advantage as an offensive player. He is very much North/South, but not as much East/West. A guy like Jack Quinn is able to be so consistently effective because of how deceptive he is in transition. Perreault's ability to use change of pace/direction is something he is still mastering. Lastly, Perreault is not a strong defensive presence at this moment in time. His turnovers can become more magnified when he's not effective in applying back pressure. This could, again, be a conditioning issue. The offensive skill set is top notch and Perreault is far from a finished product, however he's more of a project than some of the other high end offensive players available as potential first round selections.

10. Tyson Foerster - Right Wing - Barrie Colts
Without question, Foerster possesses one of the best shots in the OHL and was one of the league's most improved players this year. He is the master of the faceoff dot set up, cranking off one timers on the man advantage the same way Alex Ovechkin does. He beats goaltenders clean up top, even without a net front screen. Foerster also exhibits great scoring instincts, sliding his way into the slot to get open in that home plate area so that he can use his quick release. Foerster is also strong without the puck as a support player in the offensive end. He protects the puck well along the wall and despite being only an average skater, is great at applying pressure on the forecheck because he uses his stick well to take away passing lanes. He's just a really smart hockey player. The concern is obviously his production at even strength. Foerster led the entire CHL with 18 powerplay goals this year. But at even strength, he was tied for 50th in the OHL...let alone the CHL. So what's causing the disconnect here? The skating has improved from last year, but his first step quickness will need to improve further. Additionally, his speed while carrying the puck will need to improve, as right now he's quicker without the puck than with it. He can get bottled up for this reason. Foerster also needs to be better at battling through traffic in the middle of the ice; finding his way to the net more consistently. Look, these things can be improved. The perfect example of this is a kid like Tyler Toffoli. The same concerns were said about him in his NHL draft year. The same things were said of Brett MacLean and Jeremy Morin too. So the difference maker will be Foerster's ability to progress further, both physically and creatively. Some players can, some can not. However, you'd be hard pressed to find a kid outside of the first round who can shoot the puck and think the game like Foerster does. That's precisely why you take the chance on him continuing to improve.

OHL Prospects: My Final Top 50 OHL Players for the 2020 NHL Entry Draft - Part 4: 10-1

Zapp

Owner of Fellas Club
Mar 14, 2016
Jyvaskyla
Khusnutdinov’s a late bday pick and he’s climbed most rankings as season went on. Would’ve been interesting to see him play in Erie, seeing him produce in the K would be more appealing though

I don’t see us keeping that pick anyway. We just lost the Stanley Cup, you can bet they are going to double down for next year. Wonder how many owners took massive hits from COVID and need to shed salary for an internal cap now. Not to mention a lot of big names have already been linked to being traded and Lou Lam said people will be surprised by who is available

Reactions: Satan

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
Khusnutdinov’s a late bday pick and he’s climbed most rankings as season went on. Would’ve been interesting to see him play in Erie, seeing him produce in the K would be more appealing though

I don’t see us keeping that pick anyway. We just lost the Stanley Cup, you can bet they are going to double down for next year. Wonder how many owners took massive hits from COVID and need to shed salary for an internal cap now. Not to mention a lot of big names have already been linked to being traded and Lou Lam said people will be surprised by who is available

MK is your boy hey

Starry Knight

Tele-Wyatt
Jun 9, 2013
KW
whos going to draft Luke Evangelista and why won't it be the Washington Capitals
Washinton or Tampa. They'll draft him and he'll become a stud.

For the Knights' 2002 crop, he had the worst 16yo season and then the best 17yo season. He's not a very flashy or fast player, but he's got a really strong hockey sense and compete level.

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
Craig Button Turn:

30 - Amirov (DAL)

"He strikes with strong habits, deploying crossovers through arced attacks on the rush, made all the more potent with a nice variety of rush patterns through the neutral zone preceding these forays. His anticipation, the ability to see plays before they develop, is one of his high-level tools. -EliteProspects 2020 NHL Draft Guide"

Reactions: Johno

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
Craig Button Turn:

30 - Amirov (DAL)

"He strikes with strong habits, deploying crossovers through arced attacks on the rush, made all the more potent with a nice variety of rush patterns through the neutral zone preceding these forays. His anticipation, the ability to see plays before they develop, is one of his high-level tools. -EliteProspects 2020 NHL Draft Guide"

Amirov would be great value at 30.

Reactions: AveryStar4Eva

Dallasman

Jun 23, 2002
Edmonton,Alberta
Craig Button Turn:

30 - Amirov (DAL)

If he falls that far that would be good for us.

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
Yea, Lapierre really isn't a guy I see us drafting.. but you never know. It could shake out that way depending who goes 1-29 first.

DieselPig

Oct 20, 2016
Any Finns projected late 1st/early 2nd? I’m not against adding another potential member of the Finish Mafia

Johno

We deserve it
Oct 30, 2013
Any Finns projected late 1st/early 2nd? I’m not against adding another potential member of the Finish Mafia

That would be Roni Hirvonen
Roni Hirvonen at eliteprospects.com

he is missing the size to be considered by the front office though

If you want to go reaching then there’s Roby Jarventie. He has size and skill, but had been considered more of a late 2nd /early 3rd rounder. Could up his stock with a strong start in the men’s league (scored a goal in the first game of the LIIGA season today).

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
Originally I was on the trade-down train.. but I think we should stick at #30 now.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007

I love that guy so much, and I love even more that Nill and McDonnell lean OHL because I get to read that guy more. When Jackson ran the team, they definitely were a bigger WHL fan. It's changed with Nill, and around that time was when I discovered this guy.

It's completely irrational to like that your teams tends to take more OHL players because of a writer ... but with only a small amount of shame I can admit that.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
If you want to go reaching then there’s Roby Jarventie. He has size and skill, but had been considered more of a late 2nd /early 3rd rounder. Could up his stock with a strong start in the men’s league (scored a goal in the first game of the LIIGA season today).

Jarventie is a bit frustrating player to follow he's talented and very promising
but sometimes Jarventie doesn't seem to realize or understand that how good he can be.

Jarventie is fast player who has fantastic shot.
But he is boom or bust type project pick

Jarventie's best skills are absolutely skating and shot but defence is big weakness.
If Jarventie pans out he can be poor man's Patrik Laine or Denis Guryanov
but unfortunately he can be next Nail Jakupov too.

All depends that how Jarventie develops
and will he learn to play even OK / solid defence without becoming defensive liability.

By the way
If stars are looking some later rounds project pick in 2021 draft

Ex Dallas Stars dman's Sami Helenius's son Samuel Helenius is available in 2021 NHL draft.
Samuel is 6'6 tall C who's playing in JYP's SM liiga team
Helenius by the way made his SM liiga debut yesterday's game vs HIFK.

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
Jarventie is a bit frustrating player to follow he's talented and very promising
but sometimes Jarventie doesn't seem to realize or understand that how good he can be.

Jarventie is fast player who has fantastic shot.
But he is boom or bust type project pick

Jarventie's best skills are absolutely skating and shot but defence is big weakness.
If Jarventie pans out he can be poor man's Patrik Laine or Denis Guryanov
but unfortunately he can be next Nail Jakupov too.

All depends that how Jarventie develops
and will he learn to play even OK / solid defence without becoming defensive liability.

By the way
If stars are looking some later rounds project pick in 2021 draft

Ex Dallas Stars dman's Sami Helenius's son Samuel Helenius is available in 2021 NHL draft.
Samuel is 6'6 tall C who's playing in JYP's SM liiga team
Helenius by the way made his SM liiga debut yesterday's game vs HIFK.
Fast player with a fantastic shot... Frustrating... He's basically Gurianov part 2 already then

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad