Prospect Info: 2020 NHL Entry Draft Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Considering this is in a week, figured we could use a discussion thread.

Do we trade the pick? If so, for what? Do we just move down?

If we keep it, who do we target?

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
I'm on team trade down or trade for a roster player. Either way I don't want to see this team at the Zoom call podium when its the 30th pick.

Reactions: Dallasman

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
Trade for Scoring improvement.
Or Draft BPA...haha yeah like they'd do that with a non lotto pick

Reactions: Satan

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
From Shapiro’s latest article:

“If push comes to shove and you have a forward or defensemen and you look at our D core and it’s pretty solid and fairly young, you want to might to go forward,” McDonnell said. “What we really want to do is add an asset and we want to add a very good asset. So it’ll be the best player and then it’ll be up to Jim (Nill) in two, three years down the road to best use the asset.”

Doesn’t inspire much confidence to be honest

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Remember when the philosophy was always D over F?

Sure and now we have a gazillion defenseman including a top 4 that is 100% drafted by the team and still pretty young. If there's some obviously great defenseman prospect at #30 they'd still take him i guess but that doesn't seems very likely.

Last edited:

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Remember when the philosophy was always D over F?

When we bitched that we had all second and third pair D, it made sense. Now that we have mostly second and third line forwards (statistically) it doesn't.

I agree with BPA, based on their actual results at whatever level they are playing, not the statistical physical characteristics, i.e., Guri's speed, Tufte's size with hopes that it translates to results later (which, slowly I guess we have to say it did with Guri).

Where there are many close players, which I suspect there always are, position can be a tie breaker, but even more so, results, speed, size, offensive (or defensive whatever their specialty, but more offense because it fits a need) should also be considered. I am sure they do all of that, and add in "gut feel" of the scouts they trust.....but that we do not, LOL.

I believe this is a draft without many superstars, but pretty good depth. In that case, I also agree that trading down to get an extra pick (which we need) theoretically makes sense and we should look to do it, but it has to be the perfect deal. Didn't we trade away what turned out to be Perry (or Getzloff) but came away with Louie and another pick (which was probably a bust, don't recall.) Not a bad tradeoff.

I believe having the 30th pick limits those options to someone in the early to mid second round who really likes a particular player still on the board at 30. Moving down, say, 10-15 picks and picking up another one makes some sense. Trading 30 for, say 50 and 90 makes less sense, but who knows.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
Sure and now we have a gazillion defenseman including a top 4 that is 100% drafted by the team and still pretty young. If there's some obviously great defenseman prospect at #30 they'd still take him i guess but that doesn't seems very likely.
My point is your philosophy should not change based on your situation. Things change fast in the NHL.

JM is a joke.

Reactions: Smelling Salt

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
My point is your philosophy should not change based on your situation. Things change fast in the NHL.

JM is a joke.

I finally read the article ... is it because I'm just missing it from other teams or does no one more than McDonnell claim his picks in the teens, 20's, or 30's were rated in this Top 10 or 15? Every single year. This article from Shaprio even has a throwback.

He claims he had Jiri Fischer at 7th on his board when they drafted him at 35th. He said this year, he's confident he'll get someone around 20 on his board at 30.

Every single first or 2nd round pick he's made in Dallas has been some incredible steal according to him. Like I said, I don't remember Les Jackson claiming that when he was running the draft. I don't see it from most other teams. You'll see the odd mention, likely because it is an odd occurrence, but every year, consistently, McDonnell is touting taking a guy ranked super high on his board.

Morry83

14-90-91
Mar 16, 2013
You’d think after many of the busts we’ve had, JM would stop with that nonsense, but here we are...what does that say about you as a scout if the guy you had ranked top 10 while most ranked them in the 20’s or 30’s turns out to be shit...

Reactions: Smelling Salt

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
I finally read the article ... is it because I'm just missing it from other teams or does no one more than McDonnell claim his picks in the teens, 20's, or 30's were rated in this Top 10 or 15? Every single year. This article from Shaprio even has a throwback.

He claims he had Jiri Fischer at 7th on his board when they drafted him at 35th. He said this year, he's confident he'll get someone around 20 on his board at 30.

Every single first or 2nd round pick he's made in Dallas has been some incredible steal according to him. Like I said, I don't remember Les Jackson claiming that when he was running the draft. I don't see it from most other teams. You'll see the odd mention, likely because it is an odd occurrence, but every year, consistently, McDonnell is touting taking a guy ranked super high on his board.
Over promise and under deliver, the Joe McDonnell method.

Reactions: Johno

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
When Nill came in, I thought he would consistently draft for skill and speed so we would look like Detroit always did. Somewhere along the line, he veered from that, or at least, after 7 years, we still don't evoke images of the 90's Detroit teams. We still evoke images of the 90's Stars teams, all defense first, LOL.

I think position has to have something do with drafting, at least after the first and maybe second rounds. After all, over time you need to draft 12 forwards to 6 D to one goalie to ice a team. Granted, trades happen, etc., but over 5-10 years, I would imagine the positional picks should probably generally even out that way.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Over promise and under deliver, the Joe McDonnell method.

I’m still waiting for Hintz to prove he’s a top 15 guy from the 2015 draft

Also makes me wonder where the f*** they had Gurianov ranked

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad