Prospect Info: 2020 NHL Entry Draft Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

catters078

Jun 18, 2008
Australia
My preference is to stay at 30 to see if any mid 1st round prospect falls a bit and able to be swooped on...but if we see the draft plays out woth no surprises trade down to pick 40 to 45 range to Add a 3rd rounder..

Canterano

Jun 30, 2018
Finland
If we trade down Ruben Rafkin could be intriguing. I was really impressed with his Liiga debut. Smart decisions, quick feet and hands. He stickhandled past a few opponents a couple of times to get to the offensive zone. Also because it would be cool to have a Stars prospect in my favorite Finnish team

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
NHL.com Mock Draft Time:

30. Dallas Stars

Kimelman -- Greig:
Greig combines solid offensive skill, a high hockey IQ, and enough grit and sandpaper to be the kind of player teams love to have and hate to play against. He can help a team at even strength, on the power play or penalty kill.
Morreale -- Roni Hirvonen, C, Assat (FIN): Hirvonen (5-9, 164) is a versatile, two-way forward capable of handling the puck well in traffic. He had 16 points (five goals, 11 assists) and 135 shots on goal while averaging 14:39 of ice time in 52 games last season. Scouts view Hirvonen as a hard-working, all-around player with a good understanding of the game.
Lepage -- Tyson Foerster, RW, Barrie (OHL): The Stars' defense is in good hands, but their forward group is aging. Foerster (6-2, 194) is a natural goal-scorer with a devastating shot who could eventually play on one of Dallas' top two lines.

Ghost of Kyiv

Wanted Dead and Alive
Feb 1, 2015
Schrödinger's Box
I don't get Hirvonen at 30. Undersized and average skater that will be bumped to wing in the NHL; those are the guys you target heavily in the later rounds. Raw skills are overrated but this is a seemingly deep draft, I'm sure you can find a good player with a better skill set.

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
I don't get Hirvonen at 30. Undersized and average skater that will be bumped to wing in the NHL; those are the guys you target heavily in the later rounds. Raw skills are overrated but this is a seemingly deep draft, I'm sure you can find a good player with a better skill set.

Agreed, he is a pass for me unless its like pick 45 or something.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Man I know like nothing about this draft lol I got lazy this year.

Just watching some videos on some guys yall are talking about and some guys I've seen that could fall to the Stars based on mock drafts, seems like we could land a pretty high potential player at #30 if we get lucky and Nill and co. make the right choice

Just based on the few videos I've watched, I like Amirov and Perreault. Neither sounds too likely to fall to us though. I know basically nothing about these guys however lol just liked what I saw in some highlights from them more than like 10 other guys. Neighbours also looks good

I just want a skilled and smart offensive player. No more dmen please, especially LD

Last edited:

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
I don't know how to confirm this because I assume the birthday cutoff has changed throughout the entire history of the league, but I'm assuming next weeks draft will be the first time a 17 year old wasn't taken at the NHL draft. Guys had to be 18 by September 14th to be selected in the 2020 draft, and for the first time, at least I'm assuming, the draft is happening after that date.

Ghost of Kyiv

Wanted Dead and Alive
Feb 1, 2015
Schrödinger's Box
4 point night for Lapierre in game one of the season.

Just watched the game...well his shift by shift anyways. It's worth noting that his night included 2 secondary assists and an empty netter. Still played well though, he was much more shoot first then I expected. Interestingly enough he played right wing most of the night. That Chicoutimi team would be fun to watch this year with Mercer and Lapierrre on the same line.

Reactions: Satan

93Crazed101

Apr 27, 2017
Greater Dallas
I don't know how to confirm this because I assume the birthday cutoff has changed throughout the entire history of the league, but I'm assuming next weeks draft will be the first time a 17 year old wasn't taken at the NHL draft. Guys had to be 18 by September 14th to be selected in the 2020 draft, and for the first time, at least I'm assuming, the draft is happening after that date.
Well, the first time since they lowered the age to 18 by league start.

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
Dallas Stars scouting page on the website starting to look thin.

Off the top of my head it looks like Boris Protsenko, and that Stu guy from Kamloops (old GM) are gone.

Reactions: Satan

Ghost of Kyiv

Wanted Dead and Alive
Feb 1, 2015
Schrödinger's Box
This is always an amazing tool for the draft:

2020 NHL Draft Aggregate

I wonder where they got their heights/weights.

That's the largest I've seen Khusnutdinov listest. Looking around the NHL, there are almost no 5'9" centermen; they all get moved to the wing. If Marat is actually big enough for organizations to develop him as a center, that makes him dramatically more valuable/desirable to me.

Edit: Oh I guess it might be NHL central scouting, wonder if he grew.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Dallas Stars scouting page on the website starting to look thin.

Off the top of my head it looks like Boris Protsenko, and that Stu guy from Kamloops (old GM) are gone.

So I checked, and Dallas had 14 scouts last season, and you're right there are only 12 listed now. The other guy was Stu MacGregor.

It doesn't seem like anyone was fired though. Those are usually announced. My guess is their contracts may not have been renewed. I may be confusing Protsenko with Tsybouk, but I think Protsenko was the guy they brought in to mentor Nichushkin and eventually Gurianov. Whoever it was I think had a skills coach position while mentoring before becoming a scout.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
So I did some research on MacGregor, and it looks like his leaving isn't that surprising. Like you said, he was here for one year after getting ousted by Gaglardi in Kamloops. At the time it was announced as a re-assignment. I guess (maybe wonder) contracts for management in the WHL like the NHL may be guaranteed even if fired.

Looks like he's a scout in the WHL now for Victoria.

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
So I checked, and Dallas had 14 scouts last season, and you're right there are only 12 listed now. The other guy was Stu MacGregor.

It doesn't seem like anyone was fired though. Those are usually announced. My guess is their contracts may not have been renewed. I may be confusing Protsenko with Tsybouk, but I think Protsenko was the guy they brought in to mentor Nichushkin and eventually Gurianov. Whoever it was I think had a skills coach position while mentoring before becoming a scout.

Prostsenko was with Dallas for a while scouting Russia/Eastern Europe. They brought in Tsybouk with Nill to have more scouts in the area. The skills coach you are thinking of was Stan Tugolukov.

Starry Knight

Tele-Wyatt
Jun 9, 2013
KW
I honestly haven't been paying attention to the draft that much, but looking at the aggregated list, I would trade the 30th pick for a late 2nd + 3rd in a heartbeat. The 50-75 range has some really high upside talent.

Ghost of Kyiv

Wanted Dead and Alive
Feb 1, 2015
Schrödinger's Box
I honestly haven't been paying attention to the draft that much, but looking at the aggregated list, I would trade the 30th pick for a late 2nd + 3rd in a heartbeat. The 50-75 range has some really high upside talent.

I know this was more of a statement about the general depth of the class rather than a proposal, but that just seems like really bad value. By comparison it cost Dallas a 3rd just to move up 4 slots to take Oettinger. I wouldn't be in favor of a move down 20-30 slots for only a third, I can't imagine that would give you any historical/statistical edge.

Reactions: Kcb12345

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
I'd rather keep the pick too. Most I'd wanna move down is like maybe 10 spots. I hate the idea of trading down in general tho unless it's just a few spots

Doubt your chances increase much if at all by trading down to try and find a needle in a haystack. At least at 30 you are getting some first round talent

Last edited:

Morry83

14-90-91
Mar 16, 2013
From Pronman’s final mock...

“30. Dallas Stars: Jake Neighbours, LW, Edmonton-WHL
Dallas’ pick is tough to project. Defenseman William Wallinder would make sense for the size and skating combination, but I’ve had teams indicate they think it’s unlikely he’ll go Day 1. Neighbours brings some much needed offense to the system to go with a high compete level. I think if Peterka got this far it would be a strong fit, too.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad