2020 NHL Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I'm just tired of the "draft picks are worthless" mentality that we seem to have. You need to hit on the draft so you get cost controlled assets and not have to overpay free agents.

I don't think its about draft picks being worthless. But the value of the spots we are picking in will not help the team for atleast 2-3 years. If they become NHL players at all.

DW still believes that we can contend next year. We are not going to rebuild. The truth is that if you are planning on using Burns and Vlasic while they are still semi-effective, you need to land assets who can help right away. That is not going to be anyone we draft this upcoming draft. Not with our 1st or 2nd round picks. Plus its not exactly that Couture is getting any younger.

Reactions: themelkman

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
I'm just tired of the "draft picks are worthless" mentality that we seem to have. You need to hit on the draft so you get cost controlled assets and not have to overpay free agents.
And other GMs get this. Not too mention that the caliber of player you can get for a couple of 2nd round picks are some average middle 6 players. That's just not good enough for where we're at to make those trades worth while. Those kind of trades are what you can get away with as a contender, not as a rebuilding team like ours

Also you can't make f***ing trades with an empty cupboard. We need to restock trade assets badly

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
And other GMs get this. Not too mention that the caliber of player you can get for a couple of 2nd round picks are some average middle 6 players. That's just not good enough for where we're at to make those trades worth while. Those kind of trades are what you can get away with as a contender, not as a rebuilding team like ours

Also you can't make f*cking trades with an empty cupboard. We need to restock trade assets badly

Yeah. Its a pretty shitty situation overall. Either you choose to build around 2+ drafts to completely restock the cupboard OR you choose to compete. If you go with the latter, you have little option but to use the draft picks as currency to fill the holes on the roster. Because that is, unfortunately, the only real currency we have. Our contracts on a lot of players make it really hard to move them. We have limited cap space to fill the holes on the roster purely by using FA. And our current prospect pool does not really offer much in the way of trade currency.

Ofcourse DW realizes all of this too but he is choosing to still go with the 2nd option. Whether it is ownership, trying to stay competitive (make playoffs) or actual belief that he can make us a deep playoff team, that I do not know.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Yeah. Its a pretty shitty situation overall. Either you choose to build around 2+ drafts to completely restock the cupboard OR you choose to compete. If you go with the latter, you have little option but to use the draft picks as currency to fill the holes on the roster. Because that is, unfortunately, the only real currency we have. Our contracts on a lot of players make it really hard to move them. We have limited cap space to fill the holes on the roster purely by using FA. And our current prospect pool does not really offer much in the way of trade currency.

Ofcourse DW realizes all of this too but he is choosing to still go with the 2nd option. Whether it is ownership, trying to stay competitive (make playoffs) or actual belief that he can make us a deep playoff team, that I do not know.
I legit don't trust him to target the right players with these picks though. That 2013 draft was an absolute disaster and that is very similar in terms of assets. Giving up a 2nd to move up 2 spots in the 1st round for a player that was worthless. Giving up a 2nd for Tyler f***ing Kennedy. Giving up a 3rd for Tye f***ing McGinn. Absolutely atrocious and if that's his f***ing strategy again then what the f***

Coily

Gettin' Jiggy with it
Oct 8, 2008
Redlands
I don't think its about draft picks being worthless. But the value of the spots we are picking in will not help the team for atleast 2-3 years. If they become NHL players at all.

DW still believes that we can contend next year. We are not going to rebuild. The truth is that if you are planning on using Burns and Vlasic while they are still semi-effective, you need to land assets who can help right away. That is not going to be anyone we draft this upcoming draft. Not with our 1st or 2nd round picks. Plus its not exactly that Couture is getting any younger.

Not sure why he would think this given our terrible record even when we had Couture, Hertl, Karlsson healthy.

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta

Honestly I trust Doug. Usually the picks and prospects he gives up dont become much(barring Karlsson as hes a whole different mistake). And he finds ways to gain assets(Dahlen trade and Hoffman flipping)

Harbessix

Jun 2, 2010
Halifax, NS
If we could nab a Nik Ehlers using those picks it’s a no brainer, but for me it would have to be a young player of that caliber to make it worthwhile. Maybe even Drouin but that’s a big maybe.

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
I was thinking the exact same thing. That should move us into the 10-15 range I would think. But honestly, I would see if we can move Labanc for a late 1st on his own and make two boom-or-bust picks.
Labanc alone gets you a pick around 15... That said, a 12-20 overall pick turning into what Labanc already is would require a lot going well in said player's development. Convinced you would give away Labanc for anything with a pulse at this point.

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
Labanc alone gets you a pick around 15... That said, a 12-20 overall pick turning into what Labanc already is would require a lot going well in said player's development. Convinced you would give away Labanc for anything with a pulse at this point.
I really don't get the fascination with moving him. On his own you would be lucky to bring back the same thing. As a package you can probably get someone better but people are trying to get a late first for him, makes no sense.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
It’s not a rebuild, whether we like it or not. You can’t trade Labanc. End of discussion. There is no one to replace him, Meier, Kane, Couture, Karlsson, Burns or Hertl. Trading any of those guys without receiving a comparable player in return sets the team back significantly. That’s the core, and that’s what it’s gonna be for a while, unless a comparable player is acquired. The players that can be moved are Vlasic, and any depth players.

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009
I really hope Doug doesn’t use these picks as trade bait at the draft unless it’s to move further up in the first round. I am a hell of a lot more optimistic with Jr. picking than Burke. We need a high ceiling forward in the first round this summer.

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
With our thin prospect pool, getting back into this first round is our chance of maybe getting a high level prospect back in a deep draft. If we can package something to move up 10 spots, that can get us a high quality prospect who maybe had a weak playoff run and fell out of the lottery.

Although if we don't move, there could be some late round gems. Mysak, Guhle, and maybe Sourdif could be some nice snags. With our second rounder I'd be looking at the Windsor guys (Cuylle and Foudy) or Ryan O'Rourke (who is already captain of his junior team and plays top pair minutes)

Alaskanice

Sep 23, 2009
1 1/2 hours away
This draft became much more intriguing since yesterday.
I know a lot of posters are down on DW and I will reiterate, it’s a “me” thing, he certainly did it again. This is fun.

Used As A Shield

Aug 10, 2011
I really didn't pay any attention to potential draftees this year, didn't think we would have a first as I really didn't think the team would be in position to sell, lol at what unfolded.

LeeIFBB

Crossing the Rubicon
Sep 30, 2011
Tanning Bed
What's the basis for having faith Wilson Jr. will make better picks than Burke did?

Dude farts and he gets promoted. What are his actual accomplishments?

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
What's the basis for having faith Wilson Jr. will make better picks than Burke did?

he speaks the right words in the right order but there really is nothing to show for it so I dunno?

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012

Wasn't the Merkley draft his first that he had real influence? Merkley has had ups and downs since then, but looks good this year. Imo, Jr. gets a bit of a leash.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Levie

Mar 15, 2011

I think it's more that Burke is a known quantity. He misses more than he hits, mainly because he drafts ultra conservatively. With him you will never get a first line forward that's fast and fit for todays game or a two way Dman.

You can't draft safe when you pick 20-30 every year.

Reactions: Sandisfan

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Wasn't the Merkley draft his first that he had real influence? Merkley has had ups and downs since then, but looks good this year. Imo, Jr. gets a bit of a leash.
Supposedly it was the 2017 draft that he was really in charge of so Norris, Ferraro, etc are his. And maybe us pushing for Euro FAs was his doing? I would need to find more info on that one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad