2020 NHL Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Alright so I know Askarov ain't gonna happen but let's say the mediocre tournaments, russian factor, and goalie taboo causes him to fall to our pick, would you take him over a skater?

Kegsey

Defense be scared, Hertl coming.
Oct 20, 2011
Canada
Does DW try to flip that 1st and maybe Labanc for a higher pick? A goalie? What is his plan moving forward because this team doesn’t look like it can contend next year.

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
Does DW try to flip that 1st and maybe Labanc for a higher pick? A goalie? What is his plan moving forward because this team doesn’t look like it can contend next year.
failed-plans-failed.jpg

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA

I was thinking the exact same thing. That should move us into the 10-15 range I would think. But honestly, I would see if we can move Labanc for a late 1st on his own and make two boom-or-bust picks.

Kegsey

Defense be scared, Hertl coming.
Oct 20, 2011
Canada
I was thinking the exact same thing. That should move us into the 10-15 range I would think. But honestly, I would see if we can move Labanc for a late 1st on his own and make two boom-or-bust picks.
But what about goaltending? DW has made it clear he expects to contend but restocking picks and prospects doesn’t help him with his goal, so does he really expect Jones to bounce back again? I just don’t see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
But what about goaltending? DW has made it clear he expects to contend but restocking picks and prospects doesn’t help him with his goal, so does he really expect Jones to bounce back again? I just don’t see the light at the end of the tunnel.
Don't know what he does with Jones. But here is a list of goalies hitting UFA next year, sorted by SV%.

Browse - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Dell is 8th on the list. I think we could sign atleast one of them for 3M or less for a 1-2 year deal. I would feel a lot better with Halak, Talbot or Lehner backing up Jones.

Reactions: Pistol Pete

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
Don't know what he does with Jones. But here is a list of goalies hitting UFA next year, sorted by SV%.

Dell is 8th on the list. I think we could sign atleast one of them for 3M or less for a 1-2 year deal. I would feel a lot better with Halak, Talbot or Lehner backing up Jones.
Lehner is going to get over 5 for sure

Reactions: Pistol Pete

Pistol Pete

Dec 17, 2007

Love me some Lehner. If he comes to SJ he’ll be the starter. Unfortunately, I think the only way to afford him is to find a buyer for Jones.

Eklund72

Apr 8, 2007
Definitely think we draft either a center or a RW. If a center get one with size to help Karlsson and Merkley in the d zone. If it’s a RW get one with speed to capitalize on their passes.

EDIT: or just get BPA and I will be happy

Reactions: themelkman

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Definitely think we draft either a center or a RW. If a center get one with size to help Karlsson and Merkley in the d zone. If it’s a RW get one with speed to capitalize on their passes.

EDIT: or just get BPA and I will be happy

This. There is one time you draft positionally. One and only one: If you have multiple options at your pick that are basically dead even in your eyes, then you can use position as a tiebreaker. But otherwise you take the better player regardless of position and don't look back. I don't care if, for example, the farm has 10 centers with legit NHL potential in it, if the BPA at your pick is a center, you take the damn center. Positional logjams can always be sorted out, but you can't go back in time and make your pick more talented if you weight positional need too heavily.

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
This. There is one time you draft positionally. One and only one: If you have multiple options at your pick that are basically dead even in your eyes, then you can use position as a tiebreaker. But otherwise you take the better player regardless of position and don't look back. I don't care if, for example, the farm has 10 centers with legit NHL potential in it, if the BPA at your pick is a center, you take the damn center. Positional logjams can always be sorted out, but you can't go back in time and make your pick more talented if you weight positional need too heavily.
Doug never makes that mistake so im not worried. Like taking Merkley or Kniazev

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad