Pre-Game Talk: 2020 NHL Draft

FerklundCGY

Jul 3, 2017
Wow. T. Steutzle at #10 for Winnipeg?
Ive seen numerous mock drafts that nobody has Steutzle lower than #6 and many are suggesting LAK will take him #2 over Byfield. And, he lists Jarvis as a RW, when he was listed on any rosters I've seen last season as a Center. I know he lined up at RW sometimes and Center most times.

Definitely way too low for Stutzle, but I have seen a few lists and scouts who aren't nearly as high on him and rank him 4th or lower.

As for Jarvis, I think they're right on that. He played almost exclusively on the RW this past season and only took 45 faceoffs total this year compared to 138 last year. Definitely see him more as a RW in the NHL

Reactions: Dack

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
1. Laf
2. Sty
3. Byf
4. Perfetti
5. Rossi
6. Drysdale
7. Sanderson
8. Lundell
9. Holtz
10. Raymond
11. Askarov
12. Quinn

13. Mercer
14. Lapierre
15. Holloway
16. Jarvis
17. Schneider
18. Guhle
19. Zary
20. Barron
21. Amirov
22. Perrault
23. Wallinder

basically C’s or D until we pick. I can see us pick anyone but Jarvis

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
1. Laf
2. Sty
3. Byf
4. Perfetti
5. Rossi
6. Drysdale
7. Sanderson
8. Lundell
9. Holtz
10. Raymond
11. Askarov
12. Quinn

13. Mercer
14. Lapierre
15. Holloway
16. Jarvis
17. Schneider
18. Guhle
19. Zary
20. Barron
21. Amirov
22. Perrault
23. Wallinder

basically C’s or D until we pick. I can see us pick anyone but Jarvis

I'll personally be surprised if Jarvis makes it past 14 or so. I'd be thrilled to get hi mat 19, though Zary isn't the worst choice.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
I'd be alright with trading up a couple spots to get one of Quinn, Holtz, Jarvis, Mercer or Askarov if they're there in the 14-16 range depending on the price.

Would also be more than happy to take Zary at 19, think he's got a pretty high floor.

Also wouldn't be too surprised to see Treliving trade down for a later first and an earlier 2nd so he can walk away with two blue chipish prospects.

Khrox

May 31, 2018
Also wouldn't be too surprised to see Treliving trade down for a later first and an earlier 2nd so he can walk away with two blue chipish prospects.
I wouldn't hate that idea. Given the general quality (and how much of a gap in tiers this year), if we don't see someone drop we like, I wouldn't mind dropping 5-7 spots in the first if we get a second out of it (especially a top 10 second).

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I'd be alright with trading up a couple spots to get one of Quinn, Holtz, Jarvis, Mercer or Askarov if they're there in the 14-16 range depending on the price.

Would also be more than happy to take Zary at 19, think he's got a pretty high floor.

Trading up and trading down are both strong options. I don't think Treliving can go wrong either way. IMO, I'm curious to know what Button wants and IMO if I'm Treliving, I basically give the guy the keys to the draft or I grab him a fist full of 3rd round picks to gamble with.

Before Covid hit, I was more interested in trading the pick away. Now I'm still interested in trading the pick away, but it's more along the lines of trading up, or splitting the pick and getting more swings by trading down. Not only are the rankings messed up, you have many orgs with multiple early round picks and their biases could allow some very interesting pieces to fall down in someone's lap.

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
I think there are a bunch of defenceman who will be avaliable in round 2 that are just as good as anyone other than Drysdale or Sanderson.

And I’m quite confident in the scouting staff’s ability to find quality defensemen past the first round

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
As much as I think I prefer a forward in the first round, frankly our D prospect list is getting atrociously bad.

Oh I agree, and that was my thinking as well (Really wanted Guhle). But Dack & TNorris sold me on the need for a quality top 6 F. And it is true that there will still be a bunch of promising DMen in the 2nd rnd.

Whatever happens I don't want to see a 1 trick pony (skilled, but lazy/big but no skills). Which is why I'm not big on Gunler/Perreault/Peterka/Poirier, or a small offensive Dman. No more passengers, time to build a team that is tough to play against again.
At F I think Mercer/Jarvis/Zary are gone, so I'd like Holloway/Lapierre/Amirov
At D maybe Guhle is there, but if not I'd like Schneider/Wallinder/Barron/Grans

Reactions: DirtDiver

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
You're not promoting taking a Dman 1st are you? :eek:

Barron has dropped alot throughout the year, but like you said was highly regarded. Wasn't it blood clots he had? I know there was lots of talk about him being medically able to continue to play.
I think he's in that same category as Guhle/Schneider/Wallinder/Grans as late 1st rnders
BPA baby.
But I do agree...I would never take a stay at home defenceman in the 1st round, don't know what Barron is projected to be.

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
Lapierre starting off strong with 5 points in 3 games.

Here are who I would want at our pick in descending order:
- Askarov
- Lundell
- Jarvis
All three unlikely to be there but might fall.
- Zary
- Lapierre
- Holloway
- Amirov
- Mercer
- Barron

If Barron is really the last one left out of this group we can take him but otherwise I think it's a mistake.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Trade the pick.

Backlund was the only pick that worked in this range in button's whole career

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
Craig's List: Jamie Drysdale, Yaroslav Askarov move up in final edition - TSN.ca

In 2016 I think all but 1 or 2 of the players we drafted were in Button's top 100 and most of them were higher than they were actually ranked.

In 2017 he had Valimaki at 17 but there were a bunch of guys he had ranked higher available at our pick. In 2019 he didn't have Pelletier until 33 and there were other guys available who he had ranked higher at our pick. however our 3rd rounder Nikolayev was ranked 19th on his final list. In 2015 he had Andersson, Kylington and Mangiapane all ranked between 29-39 as well.

Last edited:

Khrox

May 31, 2018
So Mangi and Ras did an interview about their draft year on the Flames website. You can definitely see how much Ras has matured, even talking about how his first year after he got drafted, he felt he didn't need to work hard because "he had practically made it", and it took him a year to realize that the real work comes after getting drafted. He also complimented Mangi in the fact that he had never stopped working, and was drafted 6th round in his second draft year, and basically played a full year on the second line of an NHL team.

Reactions: Fig

MakeCgyGreatAgain

Feb 3, 2003
Calgary, AB
So Mangi and Ras did an interview about their draft year on the Flames website. You can definitely see how much Ras has matured, even talking about how his first year after he got drafted, he felt he didn't need to work hard because "he had practically made it", and it took him a year to realize that the real work comes after getting drafted. He also complimented Mangi in the fact that he had never stopped working, and was drafted 6th round in his second draft year, and basically played a full year on the second line of an NHL team.
I watched it. It’s a great watch. They both seem like great friends. I hope we resign Mangi and that both are with this organization for years to come. They seem like great teammates and have such a positive attitude.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Trade the pick.

Backlund was the only pick that worked in this range in button's whole career

Did Valimaki dieded? or does he not count in the range because he's a few spots higher? I'm pretty happy with Pelletier as well and he's several picks down.

Also, that's with GM interference in pick selection and major issues with the development system which broke more prospects than developed. That's not on Tod. In fact, after Treliving gave Tod a ton of freedom, his batting average went way up from the 2nd round all the way to the 7th round. We got some good stuff and we aren't writing off prospects within a season or two.

Button has never been the problem IMO. It's always been the GM using the tool that Button and Co prepare in the wrong way. Like using a wrench as a hammer and breaking it.

Craig's List: Jamie Drysdale, Yaroslav Askarov move up in final edition - TSN.ca

In 2016 I think all but 1 or 2 of the players we drafted were in Button's top 100 and most of them were higher than they were actually ranked.

In 2017 he had Valimaki at 17 but there were a bunch of guys he had ranked higher available at our pick. In 2019 he didn't have Pelletier until 33 and there were other guys available who he had ranked higher at our pick. however our 3rd rounder Nikolayev was ranked 19th on his final list. In 2015 he had Andersson, Kylington and Mangiapane all ranked between 29-39 as well.

Are you trying to say Craig is stupid? Because I'm OK with that opinion.

Tod though is pretty solid.

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
Did Valimaki dieded? or does he not count in the range because he's a few spots higher? I'm pretty happy with Pelletier as well and he's several picks down.

Also, that's with GM interference in pick selection and major issues with the development system which broke more prospects than developed. That's not on Tod. In fact, after Treliving gave Tod a ton of freedom, his batting average went way up from the 2nd round all the way to the 7th round. We got some good stuff and we aren't writing off prospects within a season or two.

Button has never been the problem IMO. It's always been the GM using the tool that Button and Co prepare in the wrong way. Like using a wrench as a hammer and breaking it.

No I don't think Craig is bad. He's overzealous on some prospects and cares far too much about international play but there are much worse scouts out there. I was just pointing out that usually we draft closely to how he has his rankings set. I don't look too much into it though, with how high Button was on Poehling I was sure we were going to take him in 2017. Ended up super relieved it was Valimaki.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002

I don't count my eggs before they hatched

Blame all the GMs if you want but he is the only one that's been here and we are still the same bad team with a bare system. Craig is horrific, Tod is slightly better, not much.

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
Trading up and trading down are both strong options. I don't think Treliving can go wrong either way. IMO, I'm curious to know what Button wants and IMO if I'm Treliving, I basically give the guy the keys to the draft or I grab him a fist full of 3rd round picks to gamble with.

Before Covid hit, I was more interested in trading the pick away. Now I'm still interested in trading the pick away, but it's more along the lines of trading up, or splitting the pick and getting more swings by trading down. Not only are the rankings messed up, you have many orgs with multiple early round picks and their biases could allow some very interesting pieces to fall down in someone's lap.
Its a nice thought but also a huge risk in that if its not "your lap" that a desired piece falls to, with a couple to a few teams picking ahead of and around you, your chosen targets could easily get swooped up before and around you. If those teams, or one of them, are a direct competitor, you could be eating crow and paying for it game in/game out against a rival. I digress though, because drafts can be hit & miss and dissapppointing yo dome more than others do "how the picks fall".

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad