Status
Not open for further replies.

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
2020 NHL Mock Draft - NHL - DraftSite.com
They seem to think Helge Grans will fall to the 3rd round WTF. No way can the Ducks let Helge Grans make it past the 1st round, if he's there at #31 you pick him.
But if its like last year, they'll pick the 2020 version of Brayden Tracey instead of the Hoglander.

It also has Drysdale going 8th. Not a great list.

I hope Grans goes that late. Can you imagine getting him with our 4th pick in the draft...

5th: Rossi/Raymond/Drysdale
31: Wallinder/Neighbours
36: Reichel
67: Grans

Ya I could live with that lol.

Edit: The Sens have 9 picks in the top 75 picks and 3 2nds next year. Jesus.

Last edited:

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
2020 NHL Mock Draft - NHL - DraftSite.com
They seem to think Helge Grans will fall to the 3rd round WTF. No way can the Ducks let Helge Grans make it past the 1st round, if he's there at #31 you pick him.
But if its like last year, they'll pick the 2020 version of Brayden Tracey instead of the Hoglander.

Draftsite had Grans listed as a forward all season long until recently, but he's always been in the later rounds, not top-2 rounds. I know because I've been tracking Grans since before the 2019 season started. LoL

MyNHLdraft has Grans going 25th for their recent iterations.

Reactions: Anaheim4ever

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Gibson was in a year where we traded down to get the extra pick. One of the issues with drafting goalies high when they’re not needed is if you do create a logjam there is never the same value in moving your excess compared to say a D or a forward. So you’re right you can always move them if there is a logjam I just think you rarely see goalies moved for decent returns.

This. Historically, goalies just don't have the same value as a defenseman or forward. Not needed/worth the risk. The Ducks don't often get a pick in the top 10. They need to make it count.

Weird. When we had Hiller, we drafted Gibby with our 39th pick. The very next draft, we used a 3rd round pick on Andersen. In our case, we traded away the known product in Andersen and stuck with the young Gibby. We got a good haul from Andersen. We have prospects C Steel and LW Comtois.

Wait... why are we drafting a goalie 5th overall? I thought the premise was to use the Boston pick to select the goalie.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
It also has Drysdale going 8th. Not a great list.

I hope Grans goes that late. Can you imagine getting him with our 4th pick in the draft...

5th: Rossi/Raymond/Drysdale
31: Wallinder/Neighbours
36: Reichel
67: Grans

Ya I could live with that lol.

Edit: The Sens have 9 picks in the top 75 picks and 3 2nds next year. Jesus.
For all the flack the Sens took (a lot of it was deserved), Dorion actually did a hell of a job of tearing it down

Reactions: Kalv and Getz2noone

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
For all the flack the Sens took (a lot of it was deserved), Dorion actually did a hell of a job of tearing it down

Dorion isn’t a bad GM. Not the best but far from the worst. It’s Melnyk that’s the problem there. Not only is he the worst owner in the NHL but he’s an absolute piece of shit too.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Sens already have really good prospects/young players. They can be crazy good.

Now the rumor is out that Sens Foundation cut ties with the Sens franchise (!!!) and as the reason, it's speculated is the Sens Foundation recent post about the current events, protests. Melynik apparently didn't like it (Sens franchise is still the only ones with the Rangers that hasn't made even a social media post about it). It's speculation only now but...

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Sens already have really good prospects/young players. They can be crazy good.

Now the rumor is out that Sens Foundation cut ties with the Sens franchise (!!!) and as the reason, it's speculated is the Sens Foundation recent post about the current events, protests. Melynik apparently didn't like it (Sens franchise is still the only ones with the Rangers that hasn't made even a social media post about it). It's speculation only now but...

Question is once those guys are good is will they pay them? I feel bad for Dorion, he’s completely hamstrung by ownership.

Los Patos de Anaheim

Nov 19, 2016
Idaho, USA
I will be upset if the Ducks don’t land Stutzle/Drysdale/Holtz with #5/#6 and honestly they need to get Askarov. Having an elite goalie prospect who could become a backup in 2 years and a starter to quell Gibson in 3-5. Who cares if Gibson is still good when Askarov comes up, you can trade him. Giguere wasn’t even safe.

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
I will be upset if the Ducks don’t land Stutzle/Drysdale/Holtz with #5/#6 and honestly they need to get Askarov. Having an elite goalie prospect who could become a backup in 2 years and a starter to quell Gibson in 3-5. Who cares if Gibson is still good when Askarov comes up, you can trade him. Giguere wasn’t even safe.

At 5 you draft the BPA. I think a lot goes into BPA. Upside, leadership,"intangibles", position.
I say position, not as where do they fit in our positional needs, but I think we can agree that Centers are generally more impactful then Wingers.
In baseball the tie goes to the runner. Well in hockey the tie goes to the center over the winger in my opinion.
Similarly, goalies as a completely different beast compared to skaters. There are only 2 on the roster and 1 on the ice at a time. Spending a 5th overall, the highest pick in over 15 years, on a position that is so volatile would be a huge mistake.

Especially for a team like the Ducks that seems to have a constant stream of NHL starters in the past 15 years.
Giggy
Bryz
Hiller
Andersen
Gibson

They were/are all legit #1 NHL starters.

In the past 15 years there have only been 2 stanley cup winning goalies drafted in the 1st round.

Mortal Wombat

Dec 7, 2014
I had a dream the Ducks won the lottery. So there's that.

But then they drafted someone I have never heard of. Sooooo, there's that too.
Maybe you saw further into the future and the dream wasn't about the 2020 draft at all. Say, have you ever heard of one Shane Wright? :naughty:

ADHB

Sponsor
Apr 9, 2012
We have Dostal, who is a legitimate prospect, and also fits the timeline you suggested. We need talent everywhere. Goaltending is not an overly pressing need, so unless the value is just extraordinary, I would rather load up on skilled skaters.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
I think the Ducks should 'show' interest in Askarov for a reason: if he slips to #31 a team might try to trade up to #31 and give the Ducks an extra pick.
Say Detroit thinks Anaheim is gonna pick Askarov so they offer Anaheim #32 & #60 or the Senators offer #33 & #53 or LA offers #35 & #48 or Montreal offers #39 & #40.

The Future of the Sens, Detroit, Montreal and LA needs a future franchise goalie.
Askarov being available at #31 should make one of those teams nervous.

GreatBear

Feb 18, 2009
Newport Beach
I don't think that the Ducks should consider Askarov as their first pick. They have many other greater needs. If Askarov is available at 31 then they could consider him or a trade for more draft picks. But that depends upon who else is available at 31 and if they really want one or more of those players.

Reactions: JabbaJabba

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Askarov projects to be a star goalie

Remember when Bernier was projected to be a star goalie, but who ended up becoming the starting star goalie for the kings? Bernier was drafted 11th overall in 2006. Quick was drafted 72nd (3rd round) in 2005.

With that said, Dostal is looking real good. Also, we do have Eriksson Ek in our system too. Stolarz is looking good in the AHL.

Right now, the Ducks are still struggling with drafting forwards and I wouldn't mind a talented forward. The Ducks are also needing a RHD, thus Drysdale is also a very tempting player. To me, I'd prefer Drysdale as he can play defense and offense as well as be on the ice more than forwards. But if our scouting staff selects a forward, then I wouldn't be oppose.

When the Ducks drafted Gibby in the 2nd round, I was scratching my head because, IMO, we should have drafted Gibby first and then Rakell. That should give you insight into our drafting process on goalies. LoL

I do like dangling the 31st pick to trade down if Askarov is still there.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
For Askarov to get to #31 there is NJ and NYR with multiple 1sts that really need a goalie prospect for the future.
Then there is Columbus, Nashville and SJ who need a elite goalie prospect asap. Rinne is washed up.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Let’s be honest though, Askarov isn’t lasting until 31 so there’s no point in wondering whether we would pick him or could trade that pick or not.

Ahhh, but there is a slim chance we pick lower than 31st in case a certain team chokes in the first round of the playoffs. Gotta give ourselves a lil' daylight. ha! With that said, I'm hoping for Helge Grans with that second 1st rounder.

Reactions: Anaheim4ever

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Ahhh, but there is a slim chance we pick lower than 31st in case a certain team chokes in the first round of the playoffs. Gotta give ourselves a lil' daylight. ha! With that said, I'm hoping for Helge Grans with that second 1st rounder.

Or 27, ha. Wherever that pick is he won’t be there.

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
Any Mark Stone type power forwards? A big, smart and great defensive winger that can also control the game in the offensive zone and still generate points. I love those types in the playoffs.

Last edited:

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
Who are you targets per round? I was messing around with a draft simulator:

Dreaming big if we hit the lottery jackpot (pretty unlikely, and not with BM as our GM):
1-LW CAN Lafreniere: first 1st overall pick for the organization, a Forsberg/Crosby mix who will score, play-make, and most importantly LEAD.
1-D SWE Grans: we've got caught scouting him, I am guessing they hope that he could be a #1 PP guy that we desperately need after idiotically trading Theodore for cap relief...
2-RW CAN Wiesblatt: Brings alot of skill, tenacity, physicality, and a great name. Sounds like a Konecy, Marchessault type of player.
3-LW SWE Heineman: We need scoring and speed, and this guy brings both. He has less risk than one dimensional guys we tend to avoid like a Jarventie but some say his offense is limited.
4-D Glotzl: Someone mentioned that Murray liked a dman in Germany so maybe this is the guy. He's not rated very highly, but could be a two way developmental guy for us.
5-D CAN McNelly: Teams still covet tough dmen like Edmundson/Carlo, and I've been reading there's been interest in this fellow who might end up just as good as higher selected profiled players (i.e. Kleven, Nikishin).
6-LW CAN Piercey: We got skill at the front end of the draft, so mind as well roll the dice on some beef up front. Maybe he has a chance to be a late blooming Josh Anderson type.

More likely scenario:
1-Drysdale/Rossi/Raymond
1-Brisson/Colangelo/Bordeleau (since BM mentioned 3-4 USHL guys were in their 1st round list) but I'd rather have the miniature Andrae to help our PP, or Russian dynamo Khusnutdinov.
2-Barron/Reichel/Jurmo
3-Johannesson/Torgersson/Finley/Cuylle/Tullio/Coe
4 through 7-Forsfjall/Dufour/Hardie/Glotzl???

Our scouts have been drafting primarily North American's, with a rare Euro selection. I don't see how we can draft many American's in this weak crop, so I'm expecting mostly Canadiens with a few mid/late picks from Europe and US High Schools. We always select a few guys that I have not heard about at all, so it will be interesting who those kids will be.

Reactions: JabbaJabba
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad