Prospect Info: 2020 NHL Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Maybe but I'm not so sure. Only the teams that lose in the 1st round are eligible. Now, perhaps if a team like Pittsburgh or Nashville loses in the 1st round and then wins the lottery people will be upset. But the chances of that happening are very low. Let's assume only one "favored" team loses in the 1st round (say Pittsburgh)...their chances of winning the lottery are 3%. Possible? Yes. Likely? No.

Don't all of the teams that "miss" the playoffs from the play-ins have a 12.5% chance of winning the lottery IF one of the play-in spots gets a top 3 pick? So if the #2 pick goes to a play-in team, all teams that lose have an equal chance at it, right?

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
Yes, exactly it’s unfair to them too. Which is pretty much proving my point that it’s only the bottom of the barrel teams that are a bit less shitty than the ducks that are benefiting from this without any negative. I don’t care if you call it the play in or playoffs, if you have a chance to compete in series’ to win the cup, you shouldn’t have a chance at #1 overall
All 31 teams had a chance to play for the Cup. Its the 82 game regular season. The way I look at is that they NEED to allow teams to play games to get into shape. The play in is taking the place of the end of the regular season as the teams not in it have no interest in playing meaningless games.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Don't all of the teams that "miss" the playoffs from the play-ins have a 12.5% chance of winning the lottery IF one of the play-in spots gets a top 3 pick? So if the #2 pick goes to a play-in team, all teams that lose have an equal chance at it, right?

Yes. The 8-15 teams (labeled A-H since we don't know which teams they are yet) will participate in the lottery with the same odds that they would have in a normal year. If you add the odds for the 8 teams, the total is 24.5% ** which means that there is a 24.5% chance that one of the "in-play" teams can win the lottery. If that happens, there is a 2nd lottery where each of the 8 teams has a 12.5% chance of winning. So, 24.5% X 12.5% = 3%.

** the odds of winning the #1 pick for teams in the 8-15 lottery positions is anywhere from 6% for the #8 team to 1% for the #15 team. The cumulative odds are 24.5%.

Reactions: lwvs84

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Yes. The 8-15 teams (labeled A-H since we don't know which teams they are yet) will participate in the lottery with the same odds that they would have in a normal year. If you add the odds for the 8 teams, the total is 24.5% ** which means that there is a 24.5% chance that one of the "in-play" teams can win the lottery. If that happens, there is a 2nd lottery where each of the 8 teams has a 12.5% chance of winning. So, 24.5% X 12.5% = 3%.

** the odds of winning the #1 pick for teams in the 8-15 lottery positions is anywhere from 6% for the #8 team to 1% for the #15 team. The cumulative odds are 24.5%.

Ah ok, got it. I see what you mean. I thought you meant 3% after the "phase 1" lottery. I wanted to make sure I understood what the draft odds were like.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Ah ok, got it. I see what you mean. I thought you meant 3% after the "phase 1" lottery. I wanted to make sure I understood what the draft odds were like.

No problem. There is a 24.5% chance that ONE of the "in play" teams will win the lottery for #1 and that is annoying but is the same odds as any other year. I didn't discuss the "in play" teams getting the 2nd or 3rd pick in the lottery but obviously the same rules apply (different odds though). So don't be surprised if one of the "in play" teams gets one of the top 3 picks since it happens quite a bit. Hopefully it won't be a team that got upset in the 1st round.

pbgoalie

Aug 8, 2010
In this current crisis, I guess anything the nhl can do to get going and create buzz is important

I’m a Ducks fan but also a Rangers fan growing up in NYC area

it sure looks like the league is doing whatever they can to get Rangers, hawks and Mtl I. The mix to play, but to also allow them to Potentially win lottery really has a bad look in my slight conspiracy addled mind

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Apologies if this is already posted but Pronman released his top 122 draft prospects on the athletic. I’ll give the top 9 which he has in clear tiers.

Laf

Byfield

Stutzle
Raymond
Perfetti

Holtz
Drysdale
Askarov
Rossi

Quite different to a lot of lists but it is a good read. Pronman has a some interesting ways of evaluating prospects and isn’t always on the money but he always provides reasoning as to why he is high/low on certain players.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Pronman usually favors skating and high end skill. It's odd seeing Drysdale in the fourth tier as some pundits see Drysdale as high as Byfield tier and the fact that Drysdale skates well, which is important to Pronman.

Just looking at those tiers, I'm just ecstatic to be picking in the top-5... hopefully.

Ja Sports

May 6, 2020
New hype reel for Quinton Byfield :) this one was my favourite to make so far

Hit the like or subscribe button if you guys enjoy!

More videos are on the way

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
K the only thing I want to know is if Boston gets upset in round 2, does their pick go up? I wouldn’t mind that pick going up to 20-24 range

gilfaizon

Mar 28, 2012
PEI
K the only thing I want to know is if Boston gets upset in round 2, does their pick go up? I wouldn’t mind that pick going up to 20-24 range

In the old system, the teams eliminated in the first 2 rounds were still sorted by points, so I'm under the impression that this would stay the same. Best case scenario is Anaheim getting 27th overall, imo.

Rasp

Apr 9, 2019
It would be nice if they structured the lottery so Boston could get a shot at it but oh well

Rasp

Apr 9, 2019
So...
34.5% chance of pick 6
26.7% chance of pick 7
26.1% chance of top 3 pick

Slight chance of other picks but the above has an 87.3% chance of happening.

We either need to win the lottery or its looking like maybe Perfetti or Holtz unless someone slides.

Ja Sports

May 6, 2020
Fresh hype reel for Marco Rossi - who had with the highest PPG of this draft class

Enjoy guys :) who should I cover next?

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
I'd love Drysdale with our pick. Improbable. I hate it if it's Perfetti - rather basically any other high-end (on paper) forward.

Last edited:

robbieboy3686

Jan 17, 2016
Of the top 8 or so draft players, can anyone tell me which are the nhl ready players ? For me, that’s very important. That we possibly draft a guy who’s ready to take a spot with the big club. And not wait on him to develop

Reactions: DuckRogers10

darkwingduck

Nov 7, 2014
Mission Viejo, CA
Of the top 8 or so draft players, can anyone tell me which are the nhl ready players ? For me, that’s very important. That we possibly draft a guy who’s ready to take a spot with the big club. And not wait on him to develop

Why? Realistically, Anaheim isn't going too be a position to contend next season. Why rush a prospect when Anaheim has the ability to develop them further?

Reactions: robbieboy3686

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Only AL will play in the NHL next year

I think he's the only one anyone should be sure about playing next year. Some of the other top guys may get the trial look or more based on their camp performance and occasionally someone a bit further back will surprise but right now Lafreniere is the only surefire NHLer for 2020-21 out of this draft class.

Goose of Reason

El Zilcho
May 1, 2013

Imo its Lafreniere and maybe Rossi and that's it.

I could see teams rushing Byfield or Drysdale but I think they could both use another year in junior.

Last edited:

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
Depends on contracts. Since the next season is going to start so late I can see a lot more players getting legitimate looks at camps, especially if the players being drafted are able to start their seasons beforehand. Will all international contracts have out clauses? We shall see.

The NHL/CHL agreement is going to have to be flexible to make this happen, if the CHL starts sooner anyway.

Last edited:

eternalbedhead

Let's not rebuild and say we did
Aug 10, 2015
Corona, CA
Lafreniere is the only one who really deserves an NHL spot next year, but I think it's very likely Byfield and possibly Drysdale could be rushed.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal

I'm agreeing with everyone saying that only AL is the closest to NHL ready.

Unless we own the #1 pick, we're not getting a player who will start at the NHL next year. Plus, why are we rushing a prospect? What's with this instant gratification idea? It feels as though you're playing an NHL video game to where you can play your first round draft pick that same year you drafted him. Outside of AL, I think Zegras has a better chance at the NHL next season than the rest of the prospects.

Last year, we had a plethora of prospects who have had years of development and still struggled, including the highly praised Troy Terry. Comtois looked amazing in juniors, but was meh in the NHL. The players that did give immediate impact were RHD Gudbranson, F Heinen, and D Djoos. We traded for Gudz early into the season. We traded for Heinen and Djoos at the TDL. We also traded for a former 1st round pick in F Milano at the TDL. Also, we added RHD Axel Andersson who will join the AHL club two years after his draft year, but Axel still isn't ready yet.

I'm more of an optimist that we can make the playoffs last year as we've shored up our defense (added Gudz and Djoos), added Heinen, and we still have Gibby. Also, we just signed D Curran, who's an offensive defenseman. We made the playoffs two seasons ago with great defense, great goal tending, and a mediocre offense. We have a lot of youth forward prospects still trying to make their way to the NHL or stay in the NHL with Steel, Milano, Terry, Comtois, and Zegras at the NHL or AHL levels. Oh... and Lundestrom. He was the most NHL ready prospect in 2018 and he didn't do much positive damage for our NHL club as he made the team.

Although a small sample, after the TDL, we went 5-3-1 (11 pts) in 9 games with the new guys while missing three or four of our top-4 defensemen. Three out of our four forward lines were defensively respectable, with the Steel centered line being the odd one out. With a healthy defensive corps next year, we can win more low scoring games. Would I like more offense? Of course, who wouldn't?! But our strengths are in our blue line and netminding. We aren't looking for a savior on offense. We're looking for some of the many forward prospects to shine eventually. LW Tracey will be AHL bound at the end of the 2020-21 season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->