Prospect Info: 2020 NHL draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DatsyukToZetterberg

Alligator!
Apr 3, 2011
Island of Tortuga
You'll have to explain to me why you have Drysdale at #8 and in tier 3. What are the major grievances with his game?

It's nothing he's done or not done, I just prefer the forwards ahead of him. I think given their production they are safer bets to be impact forwards and as such they're ahead of him. The rankings in the 3rd tier are all relatively close so I have no problem with him being ranked 6th. I also generally prefer F > D as well, especially at the top of draft.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
It's a new month which means it's time for a new ranking. I've decided to go to a top 62, I think last time it was only a top 31, as there has finally been some separation and I feel like too many good players would have been left off a top 31 list. I decided to do the ranking based on tiers where any player in the tier I would considered to be "equals". Also, the first 9 players are how I would rank the top 9 of the draft and I currently don't have a top 10. As always this list is based off of almost entirely their stats and the compared to the historical data from each league, all info was from pick224.

Tier 1Player
1Alexis LafreniereW
Tier 2
2Quinton ByfieldC
3Marco RossiC
4Tim StutzleC
5Lucas RaymondW
Tier 3
6Cole PerfettiW
7Anton LundellC
8Jamie DrysdaleD
9Alexander HoltzW
Tier 4
4Seth JarvisF
4Yarslav AskarovG
4Mavrik BourqueC
4Connor ZaryC
4Jan MysakW
4Jeremie PoirierD
4Zion NybackW
4Noel GunlerW
4Tyson FoersterC
4Jacob PerreaultC
4Lukas CormierD
4Rodion AmirovF
Tier 5
5Veeti MiettinenF
5Ryan O'RourkeD
5Jake SandersonD
5Ryan FrancisW
5Dawson MercerW
5Lukas ReichelW
5Jack QuinnW
5Emil AndraeD
5Roni HirvonenF
5Carter SavoieW
5Martin ChromiakF
5Dylan HollowayW
Tier 6
6Alexander PashinW
6Brett BerardW
6Joel BlmoqvistG
6Luke EvangelistaF
6Hendrix LapierreF
6Alex CottonD
6Sean FarrellF
6Sam ColangeloF
6William VilleneuveD
6Emil HeinemanF
6Connor McClennonF
Tier 7
7Jacob DionD
7Michael BenningD
7Marat KhusnutdinovF
7John-Jason PeterkaF
7William WallinderD
7Kaiden GuhleD
7Tyler TullioF
7Xavier SimoneauF
7Kasper SimontaivalF
7Ridly GreigF
7Ozzy WiesblattF
7Jake NeighboursF
7Roby JarventieF
7Anton JohannessonD
7Oskar MagnussonF
7Thomas BordeleauF
7Justin SourdifF
7Daniil GushchinF
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

And just some observations from my list:

• I think this draft is pretty deep compared to the average draft. There were a number of players I left out of my top 62 that would have likely been there in 2018 or 2019. I think players like Pavel Novak, Braden Schneider, Thomas Niederbach, Dmitri Ovchinnikov, Jean-Luc Foudy, Jaromir Pytlick, Jack Finley, Juuso Maenpaa, Tomi Niku, etc. could have been in the tier 6/7s in those drafts.
  • I'm not a fan of Heldge Grans whatsoever and that may be my biggest contrarian opinion. His point totals are severely inflated from PP production and he has an extremely difficult time defending at ES. Given where he's ranked on most lists I wouldn't touch him. He's someone that would be a 5th round pick or later for me.
  • The biggest riser was Seth Jarvis who had an incredible January. He's now playing at a level that's comparable to that of most top 5/10 picks from the WHL. The second biggest was Chromiak who I had in the 100-228 range. His play in the OHL has been outstanding and given his strong D-1 season has made me a fan once again.
  • This draft is full of extremely talented, but small players. Most of the defenceman in my top 62 are under 6'1 and the same can be said for a lot of the forwards. I don't expect someone like Jacob Dion or Anton Johannesson to go in the top 62 so there should be some excellent opportunity for value in the later rounds (I think of the Spence, Nousiainen, and Fensore last year as examples)
  • This draft also has a number of very good undrafted d+1, d+2, and d+3 players. Cotton, Oksentyuk, Constantinou, McCourt, Ty and Dylan Jackson, Stepanov, Gogolev, Marushev, and others all have the production to warrant being picked.

Is this based on just stats... or no?

DatsyukToZetterberg

Alligator!
Apr 3, 2011
Island of Tortuga
Is this based on just stats... or no?

For the most part yes. But there's exceptions made for players playing in pro leagues. I would say it's around 90-95% based on a players production in their draft year and their d-1 seasons. I would say that this is my subjective top 62 ranking which is mostly stats/production based.

One example is that of Raymond. He's obviously a top 5 talent in the draft, but isn't being given the minutes to produce. While his SHL stats this year are good for an U18 player they're not really top 5 level. If it was purely stats based he would likely be in the late 20s or even lower.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
For the most part yes. But there's exceptions made for players playing in pro leagues. I would say it's around 90-95% based on a players production in their draft year and their d-1 seasons. I would say that this is my subjective top 62 ranking which is mostly stats/production based.

One example is that of Raymond. He's obviously a top 5 talent in the draft, but isn't being given the minutes to produce. While his SHL stats this year are good for an U18 player they're not really top 5 level. If it was purely stats based he would likely be in the late 20s or even lower.

How did you come to the conclusion that Dawson Mercer is in tier 5?

DatsyukToZetterberg

Alligator!
Apr 3, 2011
Island of Tortuga
How did you come to the conclusion that Dawson Mercer is in tier 5?

When I looked at his adjusted production rates he was in a similar range to that of Ryan Francis. I can't remember the exact number I just recall the 2 players were within the margin of error region for the adjusted p/gp. Given that I felt that Francis didn't belong in the 5th tier I made a similar judgement on Mercer. I'm not really deadset on any players in any one tier and I think you can make a strong argument that based on Mercer's D-1 production he belongs in that 4th tier. I do still have some concerns about his ES production, but it has rebounded since Decemeber so that concern is less present than it was in early January.

Personally, when I look at the 4th tier I feel like I'd prefer everyone in that tier over Mercer. That doesn't mean he's not a good player or unworthy of being in that tier I just preferred others over him when I did the rankings.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
When I looked at his adjusted production rates he was in a similar range to that of Ryan Francis. I can't remember the exact number I just recall the 2 players were within the margin of error region for the adjusted p/gp. Given that I felt that Francis didn't belong in the 5th tier I made a similar judgement on Mercer. I'm not really deadset on any players in any one tier and I think you can make a strong argument that based on Mercer's D-1 production he belongs in that 4th tier. I do still have some concerns about his ES production, but it has rebounded since Decemeber so that concern is less present than it was in early January.

Personally, when I look at the 4th tier I feel like I'd prefer everyone in that tier over Mercer. That doesn't mean he's not a good player or unworthy of being in that tier I just preferred others over him when I did the rankings.

I’d take Mercer and Holloway over everyone in tier 4 except Askarov and Zary, personally.

Reactions: DatsyukToZetterberg

DatsyukToZetterberg

Alligator!
Apr 3, 2011
Island of Tortuga
I’d take Mercer and Holloway over everyone in tier 4 except Askarov and Zary, personally.

I did look everything over again because Mercer does have a much higher point per game than Francis and I wanted to make sure there wasn't a mistake in the calculations. It seems like the big reason he's not looking better in my adjustments is because he seems to score a lot of short handed points which I treat at a heavily discounted value given that there's almost no repeatability/predectiveness with them. For example Mercer has 45 ES+PP points in 33 games and Francis has 59 ES+PP points in 46 games. This gives them a point over game within 0.10 of each other.

As for Holloway and Mercer I understand that sentiment. I don't really have an issue with Mercer and while I don't think Holloway is as good of a prospect as some rankings may suggest there is upside there given his D-1 season. If we could find out what his on-ice sh% was as well as his teammates, with their GF/GA at each game state, we could see if he's still driving play and getting unlucky or if there is potentially an underlying issue.

Last edited:

ArmChairGM89

Dec 10, 2019
How does Jamie Drysdale compare to Quinn Hughes?

drysdale isn’t a 4th forward type. He’s definitely a threat offensively and I would call him an offensive D-man but he’s more of a traditional offensive guy than Hughes. Meaning his offense generally come from the point rather than deep in the ozone.

They are different players.

Reactions: newfy

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
There are games in Europe now u18 and u19 unfortunately can't find any streams. There are # u17 and woman, but I careless about those. Wonder where is Yzerman now , and what is his visions

HoweFan

Jan 10, 2017
Ok thanks. It sounds like Quinn is the more dynamic player. So would you pick Drysdale at four then or go with someone like Raymond?

ArmChairGM89

Dec 10, 2019
Ok thanks. It sounds like Quinn is the more dynamic player. So would you pick Drysdale at four then or go with someone like Raymond?

i personally like drysdale more than I liked quinn pre draft. (I was a Dobson guy though so maybe I’m the wrong guy to ask lol) I think drysdale will be better defensively while still putting up solid point totals. I also prefer his shot.

1. Lafreniere
2. Stutzle
3. Byfield
4. Raymond
5. Perfetti/drysdale/holtz/Rossi (a lot of options here including drysdale.)

So I’d be happy with him at 5. Wouldn’t cry at 4 over Raymond. I like Raymond, he could even be special. He looks great when I’ve watched him. But the lack of actual production (even in the shl against men with limited ice time) Turns me off just enough to be cool with drysdale there.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
i personally like drysdale more than I liked quinn pre draft. (I was a Dobson guy though so maybe I’m the wrong guy to ask lol) I think drysdale will be better defensively while still putting up solid point totals. I also prefer his shot.

1. Lafreniere
2. Stutzle
3. Byfield
4. Raymond
5. Perfetti/drysdale/holtz/Rossi (a lot of options here including drysdale.)

So I’d be happy with him at 5. Wouldn’t cry at 4 over Raymond. I like Raymond, he could even be special. He looks great when I’ve watched him. But the lack of actual production (even in the shl against men with limited ice time) Turns me off just enough to be cool with drysdale there.
A lot depends on finishing this season and if kids play nicely with man at world cup.

ArmChairGM89

Dec 10, 2019
A lot depends on finishing this season and if kids play nicely with man at world cup.

yeah, I don’t think most these kids will play that tournament. Lafreniere, stutzle, maybe Raymond? Probly more euro’s. I don’t see drysdale playing.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
There’s so much talent in the OHL in this draft, it’s insane. I know before with Wright/Holland our scouting staff was Western Canada based... is it now more Northeast based with Yzerman/Draper running things?

I am thinking we must be doing a lot of work scouting the OHL with the amount of talent coming through this year.

DontEverTouchMyPuck

Jul 30, 2018
Can't speak for Europe or the W/Q, but the OHL is stacked this year. So much talent. Guys who would be 1st rounders in other years will be available in 2nd this year Couple of them are late-blooming sleepers that are exceptional.
Good year to have an early 2nd round pick in addition to a 1st round lottery pick!!

Reactions: DatsyukToZetterberg

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
my draft scenario is we keep our 1st and 2nd . trade athanasou for a late 1st . then trade our 3rd + caps 2nd + sjs 3rd for a late 1st . then trade our 5th + 6th + 7th + glenny for a 2nd :
- our early 1st
- two late 1st
- our early 2nd
- the glenny trade late 2nd

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
my draft scenario is we keep our 1st and 2nd . trade athanasou for a late 1st . then trade our 3rd + caps 2nd + sjs 3rd for a late 1st . then trade our 5th + 6th + 7th + glenny for a 2nd :
- our early 1st
- two late 1st
- our early 2nd
- the glenny trade late 2nd

I’m not sure that any of your trade scenarios are remotely feasible. For a variety of reasons.

Athanasiou is probably the most realistic one, and it’s going to depend on the market and the demand for him.

Reactions: firestarter

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
I still like Jacob Perreault more than most or basically everyone. Remind me of Matt Hoffman , defensively chanllenged maybe and might move to RW but I think he can be a real goal scoring/power play threat to any team that drafts him. Great shot, good in the slot, but to be fair I've seen a lot of OHL/QMJHL games and have kept up on local/north american guys more than over seas fellas. I'm not really getting a whole look at the prospects pool so my opinion is literally under a microscope of a few players.(Literally maybe max 2 dozen. lol)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad