GDT: 2020 NHL Draft Thread - October 6-7: Should we expect mayhem?

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
if anyone mentioned this in august they'd be sent for an evaluation. but he's apparently
had 3 concussions over an 8 month span, and continues to slip in the rankings. i don't
think it's so crazy anymore to think he may not go in the 1st round. we'll see what happens
over the next few months.

3 in 8 months is bad......

The more time goes on and the more research is done on them I’d be willing to bet that leagues are going to start trying to work mandatory retirement policies into CBA’s for players that suffer specific numbers of concussions in a given period of time or career.

Not going to happen tomorrow but I can see it being agreed upon with all current players being exempt and it beginning a few years down the road.

Last edited:

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I`m limited these days to WHL hockey which I have been loving out here in Victoria, saw a real nice looking kid playing D on the right side for Vancouver a while back, not sure of his first name but last name was Schneider, kid was everywhere, really nice skater, endless motor, some really nice offensive instinct and good size which he used not to bruise but just used it to his advantage.

The kid that has caught my eye as a guy who is a royal pain in the arse, plays heavy, Neighbors, LW, playing for the Oil Kings, not the biggest kid but loves the heavy game, will chuck em too while being a solid offensive player

Ethan Sakowich vs. Jake Neighbours, December 30, 2018 - Red Deer Rebels vs. Edmonton Oil Kings

Reactions: neelynugs

arider1990

Dec 9, 2018
I`m limited these days to WHL hockey which I have been loving out here in Victoria, saw a real nice looking kid playing D on the right side for Vancouver a while back, not sure of his first name but last name was Schneider, kid was everywhere, really nice skater, endless motor, some really nice offensive instinct and good size which he used not to bruise but just used it to his advantage.

The kid that has caught my eye as a guy who is a royal pain in the arse, plays heavy, Neighbors, LW, playing for the Oil Kings, not the biggest kid but loves the heavy game, will chuck em too while being a solid offensive player

Ethan Sakowich vs. Jake Neighbours, December 30, 2018 - Red Deer Rebels vs. Edmonton Oil Kings
I looked at the Vancouver roster and they have no one named Schneider on the team. What was his number?

ChargersRookie

Jun 30, 2014
Just doesn’t really happen much in the NHL.

Maybe if the Bruins hired Garth Snow for a weekend in June. I think he was the last shake and bake GM at a draft, don't remember how he did with out checking. Teams seem to want minimum 2 picks for a higher one and we should all know that with quantity there is a higher chance that one sticks.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Caught the last 3 Victoria Grizzlies games (BCHL) as their barn is a 4 minute walk from my door, hadn`t been able to get to one in about 2 months and love the growth of the game of this kid Cody Monds. When I watched him in November, you could see the skill there, definitely a hard worker, not big but not one bit shy to hit and/or to take a hit to make a play but he was clearly in that typical rookie adjustment phase. Think the program said he was from Ontario, anyways, this kid`s game has developed big time, was out in all situations over the last few games I watched.

Has to fill out but as I stated, not a bruiser but no hesitation with any physicality and has showed terrific hands. Those closer to the game and with access to far more than I could probably get a scouting report from an actual site but here`s a bit on him, looks like he`s heading to Providence College

Cody Monds starts to hit stride for Victoria Grizzlies

BCHL Next Generation: Victoria Grizzlies

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
Caught the last 3 Victoria Grizzlies games (BCHL) as their barn is a 4 minute walk from my door, hadn`t been able to get to one in about 2 months and love the growth of the game of this kid Cody Monds. When I watched him in November, you could see the skill there, definitely a hard worker, not big but not one bit shy to hit and/or to take a hit to make a play but he was clearly in that typical rookie adjustment phase. Think the program said he was from Ontario, anyways, this kid`s game has developed big time, was out in all situations over the last few games I watched.

Has to fill out but as I stated, not a bruiser but no hesitation with any physicality and has showed terrific hands. Those closer to the game and with access to far more than I could probably get a scouting report from an actual site but here`s a bit on him, looks like he`s heading to Providence College

Cody Monds starts to hit stride for Victoria Grizzlies

BCHL Next Generation: Victoria Grizzlies
I didn’t see him listed in any of the mock drafts. At 5’10’, 170 he needs to fill out. Could be a late round steal.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I didn’t see him listed in any of the mock drafts. At 5’10’, 170 he needs to fill out. Could be a late round steal.
he`s definitely on the smaller size and will need to fill out but the kid has ba**s, reminds me a bit of Gallagher without the post whistle yapping BS, just does his job. He scored a beauty , standing in front of the net, big D man pounding him with crosschecks which had me irate there was no call on, kid didn`t move, shot came in and the kid smacked home the rebound all the while the big D looked like a fool.

Definitely a kid who I wouldn`t dare suggest taking in the first few rounds but might be one of those 4th round kind of picks

Reactions: Ratty

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
I don’t really care if Bruins send the 31st pick for Kreider, Palmieri or any top W on the market this deadline.

But if they keep it, who is the better option at that spot?

Shaun

Oct 12, 2010
going to the barn to see portland vs everett tonight. hopefully this jarvis kid is good.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
I really don't understand why Rossi isn't getting talked about more than he is. To a degree I understand size, but it's not like that's really scaring teams away anymore. I've heard people say his skating isn't that great, but if you watch him it's definitely good. He's just not a burner. He's the best offensive and defensive player in the league as a draft-age player and is an absolute menace on faceoffs as well. Such a smart and mature game, he has such a good knack for knowing when not to force things.

Reactions: kthx

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
With not much else going on, and the real possibility of the draft still going ahead in June, might be time to look at some of the prospects that the Bruins will be looking at when it's their turn to pick.

We will be doing a series of these. I look at Ontario first, who's draft class is not only top heavy, but deep and rivals 2003 as their best class ever. Reed will be looking at Europe while Kirk will break down the USA spread over the next couple of weeks.

Dominic Tiano: 2020 Boston Bruins NHL Draft Preview- OHL Prospects

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
I know everyone has a hard time getting into this right now, but for those interested, it's a pretty decent read and opinions on the draft. (OHL players) OHL Prospects: 2020 NHL Draft Questionnaire With OHL Experts

;)

thanks for posting, always love those discussions. i had a question for you specifically, since
you like constantinou a lot. do you prefer him over calisti? he's a guy that impressed me from
the limited views i got, especially since he was sort of off the radar coming into the year.

Reactions: PepeBostones

kthx

Bedard to Bruins 2023
Apr 24, 2019
I really think Rossi could be a potential #2 pick here.
Could potentially see him going to Ottawa.

Reactions: Saxon Eric

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
my personal favorites for the end of each round (but b's don't have a 1st or 4th):

1st round - ridly greig, C, brandon (plays nasty, has skating and skill, could be 2 or 3C)
2nd round - luke evangelista, W, london (high IQ, right shot, underrated skills)
3rd round - ian moore, D, st. mark's (big kid, really good wheels and skill)
4th round - emil heineman, W, leksands (skating, tenacity, good hands and IQ)
5th round - adam raska, W, rimouski (angry little pest with underrated hands)
6th round - landon kosior, D, prince albert (good puck mover, PP guy, still green with upside)
7th round - danny weight, C, penticton (doug's kid, improved skating, roll the dice on a possible late bloomer)

goalies i like: drew commesso (2nd/3rd), calle clang (3rd/4th), grant riley (later rounds)

kthx

Bedard to Bruins 2023
Apr 24, 2019
Do you guys think it's more likely to pick up a great player @ round 2/3 because of COVID?

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
Do you guys think it's more likely to pick up a great player @ round 2/3 because of COVID?

i think this draft will be a little weird in general. the scouts miss out on a few players who would've
risen or dropped due to playoff performances (and mem cup, for whoever qualified). but the amount
of video views is going to rise significantly. now watching video is certainly different (those behind
the play/off camera things you see live is a big reason why scouts go to games), so will be fun to
look back in about 5 years to see if anyone really crushed it. but will there be more steals this year?
maybe if you got a ton of views on a guy early when other teams didn't. especially if the venue was
really hard to get to...but overall, probably not.

member 96824

Swedish players for example have had access to ice for the whole duration of COVID and their progress might be way better than the scouting raport says.

Interesting, I like that thinking. Could definitely be the case!

I wonder if whatever sort of combine that might happen(even if it’s just players sending in their measurements with some type of proof) would unearth that

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad