GDT: 2020 NHL Draft Thread - October 6-7: Should we expect mayhem?

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
How dare I comment on a player I have been watching for three years now. If you disagree fine, but I don't see any reason for this ridiculous stat-watching remark. I wouldn't comment a player I haven't seen.
Also funny you mention the reports by people who "seriously" watch, given this is what's in them:
"...NHL teams love the well-rounded aspects of his game although his NHL offensive upside is still a question.” - Dan Stewart
"...In order to stay in conversation for the first round, he's going to need to improve his production though, even on an inconsistent Soo team.” - Brock Otten
Seems like I am not the only one questioning his upside.

He is one of the oldest players eligible for the 2020 draft, don't think age can be used as an excuse for the subpar production. Not to mention he is already built like a man.
Coyle is actually a pretty decent comparison play-style wise, although Pytlik is a vastly inferior stickhandler in my opinion.

The complete quotes are here OHL Prospects: Preliminary Media/Scout Top 10 for the 2020 NHL Draft

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Oliver Suni – Forward – Oshawa Generals (2 Votes)

Highest Ranking: 6th (1x)
Comments:

“I've been so impressed by Oliver Suni and his adjustment to the North American ice. Right away, even in preseason, he seemed right at home playing with Ty Tulio and Alan McShane at the time. He brings a powerful element to his game, which is what sticks out the most to me. He's a power skater, unafraid to drive the net and get involved physically, but he's also got top-end vision and passing ability. He still leads OHL rookies in points, has been lethal on the power play, and if he keeps up this pace throughout the entire OHL season I say he makes a case to be a first round draft pick.” - Victor Findlay

“Really underrated in the grand scheme of things. Good mix of speed and skill, but he needs to add a bit of physicality to his game to prevent from being locked to the perimeter.” - Steven Ellis

Dom (@lost peanut), what are your thoughts on Suni?

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Oliver Suni – Forward – Oshawa Generals (2 Votes)

Highest Ranking: 6th (1x)
Comments:

“I've been so impressed by Oliver Suni and his adjustment to the North American ice. Right away, even in preseason, he seemed right at home playing with Ty Tulio and Alan McShane at the time. He brings a powerful element to his game, which is what sticks out the most to me. He's a power skater, unafraid to drive the net and get involved physically, but he's also got top-end vision and passing ability. He still leads OHL rookies in points, has been lethal on the power play, and if he keeps up this pace throughout the entire OHL season I say he makes a case to be a first round draft pick.” - Victor Findlay

“Really underrated in the grand scheme of things. Good mix of speed and skill, but he needs to add a bit of physicality to his game to prevent from being locked to the perimeter.” - Steven Ellis

Dom (@lost peanut), what are your thoughts on Suni?

Almost half way through the season...just starting to write player previews. You''ll have to wait for those to come out.

PepeBostones

Sponsor
Mar 3, 2002
First time I would consider drafting a goalie in the first round of the NHL Draft. This kid will be long gone by the time the Bruins draft but he’s worth watching I’ll tell you. Talking about the new goaltender phenomen Yaroslav Askarov.

He made his debut in KHL this month for SKA St. Petersburg and played yet another superb game. He’s supposed to be the next Vladislav Tretiak or Andrei Vasilevski. He was asked before his first game at pro level if he was nervous. Yaskarov smiled “No, we play with the same puck. No worries” Cool kid.
What a goalie prospect he is. 17 years old 6’3” 185 lbs catches right and the kid is lightning quick with his glove hand.

Look what he’s done in International tournaments since last year. Simply amazing.
Now he’s at World Jrs for Russia in Czech Republic so it will be interesting to see how he does.
He’s been ranked as high as third on some Scouting services. He singlehanded beat Canada for the gold medal in August at the World Jrs U18.

2018-2019
Hlinka Memorial Bronze Medal
U17 WHC All-Star Team
U17 WHC Best GAA (1.40)
U17 WHC Best SVS% (.948)
U17 WHC Gold Medal
U18 WJC All-Star Team
U18 WJC Best Goaltender
U18 WJC Silver Medal
2019-2020
Hlinka Gretzky Cup Gold Medal

Reactions: Saxon Eric

BruinsNetwork

There’s a lot of time between now and the draft, but I like Pytlik a lot.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
I want this guy. He's probably going to fall only because he's 5'9" but he plays like he's 6' tall.

Maybe NHL GM's have learned their lesson by watching Alex DeBrincat the last couple of years. History says probably not. But this kid is better then DeBrincat in every category. He's moving up, but many think size will drop him to a late first, maybe even early second.

Has #1 center NHL potential.

OHL’s Draft Eligible Statistical Leaders as of December

Last edited:

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
I want this guy. He's probably going to fall only because he's 5'9" but he plays like he's 6' tall.

Maybe NHL GM's have learned their lesson by watching Alex DeBrincat the last couple of years. History says probably not. But this kid is better then DeBrincat in every category. He's moving up, but many think size will drop him to a late first, maybe even late second.

DeBrincat hell. You would have thought they might have learned from Marchand, or Gaudreau, St. Louis, or Fleury* or . . . you know the drill. I hope the Bruins at least have learned. After all they are dressing two 5'9" defensemen and both of them are pretty good players.

*I know these are all wingers but still . . .

Reactions: lost peanut

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Reactions: Dr Hook

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma

Maybe NHL GM's have learned their lesson by watching Alex DeBrincat the last couple of years. History says probably not. But this kid is better then DeBrincat in every category. He's moving up, but many think size will drop him to a late first, maybe even late second.

Sounds like a more skilled Tyler Johnson.

Is that an apt comparison?

Son of Donegal

Stay-at-home defenseman with zero upside.
Aug 1, 2008
Maynard, MA
thomsonsafaris.com

With Beecher and Studnicka and maybe even Curtis Hall up the middle for the future, the B's may not need a huge #1C. Rossi could be a really nice compliment to Pastrnak and Marchand (or Marchand's future replacement).

The only real question is whether Rossi will fall that far. I doubt it.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
With Beecher and Studnicka and maybe even Curtis Hall up the middle for the future, the B's may not need a huge #1C. Rossi could be a really nice compliment to Pastrnak and Marchand (or Marchand's future replacement).

The only real question is whether Rossi will fall that far. I doubt it.

He shouldn't fall that far. But most of us said the same thing about DeBrincat and he did. Personally, I think the real question is have NHL GM's/Scouts finally learned their lesson? That remains to be seen.

Reactions: Lo97

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad