GDT: 2020 NHL Draft Thread - October 6-7: Should we expect mayhem?

Lobster57

Nov 22, 2006
Victoria, BC
Haven't seen a single second of junior hockey this season. so will have to rely on others, but i'm intrigued by Jaromir Pytlik

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
Pytlik and Jacob Perreault.

It's early, but both should be where I'd expect the Bruins to pick.

looking at europe, i like what i've heard about kasper simontaival. right shot winger
with skill. haven't seen enough of him to form my own opinion yet, but intriguing
based on reports.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
looking at europe, i like what i've heard about kasper simontaival. right shot winger
with skill. haven't seen enough of him to form my own opinion yet, but intriguing
based on reports.

I'll have to talk to Reed, He has all the info on the Euros

This was my pre-season players to watch list. Came out before central scouting's list. OHL only of course

OHL’s 2020 Draft Eligible Players to Watch

neelyforpresident

Dec 25, 2007
Washington
Had the privilege of watching Connor Zary play in the dub. Good two-way game, speed and can put up points. I think he’s projected to be a late first but wouldn’t be surprised if his stock rises this year. Hope he’s on the Bruins radar.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Being an MA local kid and a RW/RS , I bet the Bruins have tabs on Sam Colangelo. Is Luke Tuch the brother of Alex?

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Had the privilege of watching Connor Zary play in the dub. Good two-way game, speed and can put up points. I think he’s projected to be a late first but wouldn’t be surprised if his stock rises this year. Hope he’s on the Bruins radar.

kids a scorer, saw him play the Royals , keeping eye on Royals Swiss winger Keanu Derungs, not a shoot first player but a very heady one. Think he`s put up about 10-11 pts in 17 games on a so so Victoria team but the kid is rarely out of position in all 3 zones but like kids, he has moments where he seems to fight consistency. He`s very slight but still willing to go to all the dirty areas to make a play

Reactions: neelyforpresident

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
kids a scorer, saw him play the Royals , keeping eye on Royals Swiss winger Keanu Derungs, not a shoot first player but a very heady one. Think he`s put up about 10-11 pts in 17 games on a so so Victoria team but the kid is rarely out of position in all 3 zones but like kids, he has moments where he seems to fight consistency. He`s very slight but still willing to go to all the dirty areas to make a play

If you examine the draft eras of Chiarelli and Sweeney, you'll see some noticeably different ways of doing things.

Under Chiarelli, the Bruins were a CHL heavy team until PJ started getting a bigger voice (see the 2013 draft). But not only were they CHL heavy, they were OHL heavy. I'm only guessing here, but maybe PC put too much emphasis on his brother's opinion scouting the OHL. What those opinions of Michael Chiarelli were, well I have no idea.

I've kept no secrets about MC over the years here. I've seen Bob Wetick (current B's OHL scout) in arenas more so far this year then I had MC in 8 years with the Bruins organization.

Move onto Don Sweeney and you get somewhat of a rotation between CHL/NCAA - USHL/Europe. And in a cap world, you pretty much have to do that when all things are equal so that you can stagger contracts.

Sweeney has also put together a larger and, one could argue better scouting department. Not to mention that they do more crossover scouting, which gives scouts a better opinion of "their guy" versus players they wouldn't normally see, which would have left Sweeney to decide who made the better sales pitch for "their guy".

If (and that's a big IF) they stay true to form, the Bruins will be CHL heavy again in 2020.

Reactions: neelyforpresident

Wooren

no longer perennial 4th place losers
May 17, 2015
Prague
Drafting Jaromir Pytlik would be the most Bruin thing ever. Seemingly "complete" player with size, but also a player who offers very little in terms of offensive skill. I keep reading how he is a man amongst boys in the OHL and yet he is barely PPG. Not to mention he's tied 3rd in team scoring, behind fellow 2020 draft prospect Rory Kerins.
Bruins can do better with their first pick.

patty59

Apr 6, 2008
Lethbridge, Alberta
Drafting Jaromir Pytlik would be the most Bruin thing ever. Seemingly "complete" player with size, but also a player who offers very little in terms of offensive skill. I keep reading how he is a man amongst boys in the OHL and yet he is barely PPG. Not to mention he's tied 3rd in team scoring, behind fellow 2020 draft prospect Rory Kerins.

Bruins don't draft guys with offensive skill?

Reactions: bruins4thecup65

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Bruins don't draft guys with offensive skill?

Funniest thing with the post is that he's "reading" this stuff, but not taking those reports seriously because he goes to EliteProspects and sees he has 27 points in 26 games. So essentially not taking reports from people who actually watch the kid player seriously, but taking the stat sheet seriously. Weird

arider1990

Dec 9, 2018
Well he is tied for first in poiints right now on the team at a PPG. I have read that he is a good finisher and has good playmaking skills. Also you have to think he is still a young player for that league and it is only his second season playing so I think he can be better. I see a lot of similarities in his profile to Coyle.

Wooren

no longer perennial 4th place losers
May 17, 2015
Prague
Funniest thing with the post is that he's "reading" this stuff, but not taking those reports seriously because he goes to EliteProspects and sees he has 27 points in 26 games. So essentially not taking reports from people who actually watch the kid player seriously, but taking the stat sheet seriously. Weird
How dare I comment on a player I have been watching for three years now. If you disagree fine, but I don't see any reason for this ridiculous stat-watching remark. I wouldn't comment a player I haven't seen.
Also funny you mention the reports by people who "seriously" watch, given this is what's in them:
"...NHL teams love the well-rounded aspects of his game although his NHL offensive upside is still a question.” - Dan Stewart
"...In order to stay in conversation for the first round, he's going to need to improve his production though, even on an inconsistent Soo team.” - Brock Otten
Seems like I am not the only one questioning his upside.

Well he is tied for first in poiints right now on the team at a PPG. I have read that he is a good finisher and has good playmaking skills. Also you have to think he is still a young player for that league and it is only his second season playing so I think he can be better. I see a lot of similarities in his profile to Coyle.
He is one of the oldest players eligible for the 2020 draft, don't think age can be used as an excuse for the subpar production. Not to mention he is already built like a man.
Coyle is actually a pretty decent comparison play-style wise, although Pytlik is a vastly inferior stickhandler in my opinion.

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005
That Stützle kid must really be something. He's scored 5 goals in Germany and he ranked him #5.

Pretty sure the chances of getting DEL feeds stateside are right out, so he's going to be one serious mystery box.
Redline has him pretty high too,I believe in the top 10 but will confirm sometime tomorrow

Reactions: BlackFrancis

arider1990

Dec 9, 2018
How dare I comment on a player I have been watching for three years now. If you disagree fine, but I don't see any reason for this ridiculous stat-watching remark. I wouldn't comment a player I haven't seen.
Also funny you mention the reports by people who "seriously" watch, given this is what's in them:
"...NHL teams love the well-rounded aspects of his game although his NHL offensive upside is still a question.” - Dan Stewart
"...In order to stay in conversation for the first round, he's going to need to improve his production though, even on an inconsistent Soo team.” - Brock Otten
Seems like I am not the only one questioning his upside.

He is one of the oldest players eligible for the 2020 draft, don't think age can be used as an excuse for the subpar production. Not to mention he is already built like a man.
Coyle is actually a pretty decent comparison play-style wise, although Pytlik is a vastly inferior stickhandler in my opinion.
I'm not sure if you watched him in play in the Czech or not because last year was his rookie year in the CHL. He has 53 games in the CHL which is less than a season. Now for the what some of what I have read about him.
He is a strong offensive player down low who operates well in traffic, his hands are quite smooth..., Brock Otten 2019
He’s big, he competes, he skates well and he’s got plenty of skill. I think he has all the tools to be a great pro., Corey Pronman 2019
A 200-foot winger who plays on the top unit in all situations, Pytlik quickly became a Greyhounds fan favorite thanks to his power game..., Steve Kournianos 2019
I see a lot to like there. As for subpar production I don't think a player scoring at a PPG has subpar production.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad