2020 NHL Draft Thread: Who knows how many more days until this year's hockey tryouts? - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Couldn't height definitely be knock on development?

this isn't really apples to apples, but couldn't height be the main reason why Cole Caufield dropped to 15 last year? I saw him going around 10, and even one mock had him going in the top 10. He dropped to 15 with teams like Philly even passing on him twice.

We of course don't know what teams were thinking, but I bet more than 1 felt like his size would prevent him from impacting a NHL roster.

Cole Caufield still went in the top half, but I could see Rossi dropping to even 9 nine, since I think there are teams out there that fear his size will prevent him from being a center. I'm not saying they are right either though.

Goes back to my earlier question i asked in the thread for everyone, Does Rossi's stock drop in your eyes if you were told he is only going to be a wing in the NHL?

Yes, but not drastically.

Caufield had the combo of size and being stapled to the #1 overall pick so there were/are questions about whether he is just a pure passenger or not.

Minnesnota

Apr 20, 2017
Denver
Are smaller players at a disadvantage to play in the NHL, or is just because there are less of them? If it is true that smaller players are at a disadvantage we would expect that the pool of smaller players is much larger in the feeder leagues for the NHL, compared to the NHL itself.

Josh Weissbock actually did research on this years ago. He explains his process here:

qsb40Ke.png

This research was expanded upon by Garret Hohl of CanucksArmy.com. Josh Weissbock gave him access to data of every CHL forward dating back to the 1987-88 season:

XDN5dkb.png

And for those about to say, "See I told you height matters!, keep reading:

rC8kOxd.png

Good question...

mHRv4En.png

Reactions: a79krgm

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
The Wild forum is by no means the only source that has questions about Rossi's skating. I have never heard anyone say that he has great top end speed among his OHL peers, nvm what happens when he moves up to the much faster NHL. Agility and edges, maybe. High end speed and acceleration, no. Top speed guys in the draft are players like Foudy, Perreault, Drysdale, Barron, Sanderson, Wallinder, Stutzle, Byfield, maybe Raymond and Mercer. Not Rossi.

I think the worry about Rossi is that there is no upside- that he won't grow anymore, and that his impressive physicality for a little guy is already maxed out. Some believe that Perfetti, while weaker right now, is still growing and will get taller and stronger over the next year or so.

The worry about Lundell is less about his skating, and not at all about his frame or IQ, but simply that his hands and vision are limited offensively. In other words, he's a slower, but slightly more skillsy JEE.

Last edited:

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Yeah but they were not drafted as "likely" Wings They were drafted as centers and settled to wings. You dont avoid any better player cause you are afraid he won't develop into one before he even steps on the ice.
I don't disagree with any of this. However, nothing you said above has anything to do with your statement that claims "there is nothing out there that indicates that Rossi won't be a center at the NHL level".

Dismissing a players talent just because he is short or light is a terrible idea. Pretending that being short or light doesn't affect a players projection into the NHL is just as bad. I don't see anyone on this forum saying that he will never be an NHL player because of his height, but I do see quite a few saying that him being short doesn't mean anything.

Minnesnota

Apr 20, 2017
Denver
I don't disagree with any of this. However, nothing you said above has anything to do with your statement that claims "there is nothing out there that indicates that Rossi won't be a center at the NHL level".

Dismissing a players talent just because he is short or light is a terrible idea. Pretending that being short or light doesn't affect a players projection into the NHL is just as bad. I don't see anyone on this forum saying that he will never be an NHL player because of his height, but I do see quite a few saying that him being short doesn't mean anything.
If Rossi was 5'9" 165lbs I'd agree with you that his size is a concern. But by all accounts he's built like a brick shit house.

Reactions: Digitalbooya

grN1g

Nov 11, 2009
Minnesota

I'm more so getting at not everyone is one and the same and rossi has never had "are you a wing or center?" talk throughout his development like say Perfetti. Obviously height in hindsight has not been kind so far but besides that youre picking at straws.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
If Rossi was 5'9" 165lbs I'd agree with you that his size is a concern. But by all accounts he's built like a brick shit house.
There are plenty of videos of the kid around. He's pretty tiny. Huge thighs that explain his strength on his skates but no upperbody.

Look, I honestly hope that the Wild take him because that would mean that guys like Brackett and Fenton think he can be a 1st line player in the NHL. A guy that plays like Rossi being able to do those things in the NHL is exactly what the Wild need.

The funny thing is that Rossi has the exact same skill set as Zuccarello. Zuccarello may be the most disliked player on this board, yet this board now views Rossi as the saviour.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Lol comparing zucc to an 18 year old? Cmon.
Quality response.

Are they not similar in size? Similar in skill set? Play a similar style? What's so different about them that makes it a bad comparison?

Leeves

Aug 21, 2020
There are plenty of videos of the kid around. He's pretty tiny. Huge thighs that explain his strength on his skates but no upperbody.

Look, I honestly hope that the Wild take him because that would mean that guys like Brackett and Fenton think he can be a 1st line player in the NHL. A guy that plays like Rossi being able to do those things in the NHL is exactly what the Wild need.

The funny thing is that Rossi has the exact same skill set as Zuccarello. Zuccarello may be the most disliked player on this board, yet this board now views Rossi as the saviour.

You are right there are some similarities between Rossi and zucc. Rossi is more physical and just on another level as far as offensive abilities go. If zucc could win 1 board battle in his career or learn to shoot the puck when he has a wide open chance i think a lot of people would like him more.

grN1g

Nov 11, 2009
Minnesota
Quality response.

Are they not similar in size? Similar in skill set? Play a similar style? What's so different about them that makes it a bad comparison?
No not at all. Beyond height and weight (stretch) they share nothing close to similar which again is all youre grasping. One is fully developed and 32 Years old 2 inches shorter at 5'7 and never played center in his career. The other is 18, 5'9. weighs more and fun fact you don't stop growing at 18.

Tenacity for a smaller player is the only quality they share.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
You are right there are some similarities between Rossi and zucc. Rossi is more physical and just on another level as far as offensive abilities go. If zucc could win 1 board battle in his career or learn to shoot the puck when he has a wide open chance i think a lot of people would like him more.
I'm sure most expect or at least hope that Rossi will produce more offense than Zuccarello does, but he's going to playing exactly like Zuccarello does. You're also kidding yourself if you think Rossi at 18 is even close to as strong as Zuccarello is or near as good along the wall. He will be able to develop that part of his game to be better than Zuccarello, but it will never be a strength in the NHL.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Here might a fun game. Or at least a game. Might not be fun. If we assume that our top 2 prospects right now are Kaprizov and Boldy, in that order, which of the names from 4 to 9+ (basically anybody after Laf, Byfield and Stutzle) would you put ahead of Kaprizov, if any? Which would you put between them? Which would you put behind Boldy?

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Here might a fun game. Or at least a game. Might not be fun. If we assume that our top 2 prospects right now are Kaprizov and Boldy, in that order, which of the names from 4 to 9+ (basically anybody after Laf, Byfield and Stutzle) would you put ahead of Kaprizov, if any? Which would you put between them? Which would you put behind Boldy?
Perfetti, Raymond, Rossi ahead of Kaprizov. Holtz, Sanderson and Drysdale in between. Would Listen to an argument for Lundell and Jarvis ahead of Boldy

fentonsbrainchild

Jul 29, 2019
I'm sure most expect or at least hope that Rossi will produce more offense than Zuccarello does, but he's going to playing exactly like Zuccarello does. You're also kidding yourself if you think Rossi at 18 is even close to as strong as Zuccarello is or near as good along the wall. He will be able to develop that part of his game to be better than Zuccarello, but it will never be a strength in the NHL.
It’s so cool how you know exactly how a prospect is going to turn out

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
It’s so cool how you know exactly how a prospect is going to turn out
You really think it takes anything more than common sense to know that a 5'9 hockey player will never be a power forward in the NHL? Rossi could end up a 100 point 1st line center for all I know, but I can still guarantee that he won't become that player by dumping pucks into the corner and going in crashing on the forecheck.

Reactions: Dr Jan Itor

grN1g

Nov 11, 2009
Minnesota
but I can still guarantee that he won't become that player by dumping pucks into the corner and going in crashing on the forecheck.
Good thing thats not what we need. I like that 100pt center talk though. Its almost as if you should gamble on that with the 9th if possible...

Leeves

Aug 21, 2020

I dunno man, I feel like you might have to go back to some film on Rossi. What you just described isn't him.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
I dunno man, I feel like you might have to go back to some film on Rossi. What you just described isn't him.
What do you think is significantly different between the way that Rossi and Zuccarello play the game?

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
Laf
Byfield
Stutzle
Kaprizov
Rossi
Lundell
Raymond
Drysdale
Perfetti
Holtz
Boldy
Sanderson

That’s how I would value the top 10 plus Kap & Boldy as of right now. Stutzle & Kaprizov were very close but I gave an edge to the guy who can maybe be the elusive 1C.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad