2020 NHL Draft Thread: Who knows how many more days until this year's hockey tryouts? - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Neither is Lundell. Saying one is more likely than the other is just foolish.
No, it isn't. That's like saying that Fiala should be just as good at center as Eriksson Ek.
Rossi very well might be able to play center in the NHL, but if he does, he will be the rare exception, not the norm.

grN1g

Nov 11, 2009
Minnesota
I dont get the love for quinn. He was clearly a product of Rossi's exceptional game and playmaking

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Neither is Lundell. Saying one is more likely than the other is just foolish.
Lundell is a slam-dunk center. Playing him on the wing would actually be taking away from his strengths. It wouldn’t suprise me if Rossi does just fine as a centreman in the NHL but it’s hard to project him there with any certainty due to the fact that nobody that small plays the middle of the ice in the NHL today.

Reactions: a79krgm and HotDish

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
I dont get the love for quinn. He was clearly a product of Rossi's exceptional game and playmaking
He wasn’t a product of Rossi. They didn’t play on the same line. However, I don’t buy the Quinn hype either. It’s more of a gut feel thing though for me and I know a lot of people adore the guy. I just prefer players that have a track-record of playing at a high level for a long time. Quinn, as an older player, came out of nowhere this year. He would’ve likely gone undrafted last year if he was a few days older, and then people are probably talking about him as a 2nd rounder.

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
It probably increases the likelihood.
feels odd to say a few inches matters for C. i understand the arguement just seems so small and not much of an issue. if he has speed, tenacity and a quick release that can win faceoffs and is smart i dont see how height matters as much. sure it helps the front of the net a bit but thats not exactly where a center lives.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
feels odd to say a few inches matters for C. i understand the arguement just seems so small and not much of an issue. if he has speed, tenacity and a quick release that can win faceoffs and is smart i dont see how height matters as much. sure it helps the front of the net a bit but thats not exactly where a center lives.

I hate getting hung up on height too, but the fact that there aren't any (or barely any) isn't an abstract thing, it's a fact.

62 top 6 center spots in the league and none are 5'9". And if guys are lying about their height, then we're still probably only talking about less than a handful.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
That's exactly where a center lives in the dzone. If Rossi was an elite level skater, being 5'9 would be less of an issue.

HotDish

Win it for Hynes
Aug 17, 2020
The State of Hockey
How much does it change your stock in him if a time traveler can to you and said that Rossi is only going to be a winger in the NHL?

does that drop him into a do not draft at 9?

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
How much does it change your stock in him if a time traveler can to you and said that Rossi is only going to be a winger in the NHL?

does that drop him into a do not draft at 9?
Still depends on how the top 8 goes.

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
I hate getting hung up on height too, but the fact that there aren't any (or barely any) isn't an abstract thing, it's a fact.

62 top 6 center spots in the league and none are 5'9". And if guys are lying about their height, then we're still probably only talking about less than a handful.
i understand that compeltely im not trying to shy away from it. just feels weird that a few inches really derails some top c prospects from being able to make it.
That's exactly where a center lives in the dzone. If Rossi was an elite level skater, being 5'9 would be less of an issue.
not necessarily, they are not planted in front of the net in the d zone. they support the corners more so than just park in front of the net.

grN1g

Nov 11, 2009
Minnesota
There's nothing out there that indicates Rossi won't be a center at the nhl level. Hes succeeded at every level so far being one.

Reactions: Leeves

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
i understand that compeltely im not trying to shy away from it. just feels weird that a few inches really derails some top c prospects from being able to make it.

not necessarily, they are not planted in front of the net in the d zone. they support the corners more so than just park in front of the net.
Do you think the corners and below the goal line is any easier or softer than the net front?

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
Do you think the corners and below the goal line is any easier or softer than the net front?
i do think it is easier yes, thats where speed and smarts can actually be more effective than trying to move a stationary 6'5 220lb player that is parked in front of the goalie. its like having spurgeon as a center. doesnt help a ton net front but in the corners he can do solid work.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
There's nothing out there that indicates Rossi won't be a center at the nhl level. Hes succeeded at every level so far being one.
I can give you a list with as many names as you like of players that were quality centers at lower levels that ended up being wingers in the NHL. Can you provide a list of players with similar physical traits and skill sets to Rossi that are currently playing center in the NHL?

Leeves

Aug 21, 2020
So it's unlikely that both Lundell and Rossi are going to be available at #9 but if they both were who are you taking and why?

I'm going Rossi all day because I think he has 1C upside and imo Lundell doesn't.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
So it's unlikely that both Lundell and Rossi are going to be available at #9 but if they both were who are you taking and why?

I'm going Rossi all day because I think he has 1C upside and imo Lundell doesn't.

I'd go with Rossi as well. I think he's got crazy upside, and I'd be pretty surprised if he doesn't become a top-6 player for the team that drafts him, either at wing or center (unless they trade him before he makes the team). His skating (which people specifically in this Wild forum seem to think is a weakness) is a strength of his, as he's got great top end speed, great acceleration and great agility, and he combines all of that with great playmaking ability, a good shot, and very sound defensive ability. Oh, and he's extremely good at faceoffs.

With Lundell, I see a guy that is big, has a slow first three steps but lots of speed after them (like a train), and is positionally one of the best I've seen for his age. The kid just knows how to play center, through and through. I don't see amazing tools, just good size and a head for the game. I think he'll be a #2 or 3 center for the team that drafts him, but I also doubt his ability to be a #1 center in the NHL. Then again, plenty of players have made pretty great careers out of an ability to play a specific position extremely well, even without elite tools in their repertoire. It's also not impossible that he improves his acceleration, and if he does, I think he'll become way more dangerous offensively, because then he wouldn't have to be so perfect positionally and could take more risks. That might open some of his other tools up to be used more frequently, and we'd see them as being a bit more dangerous.

I think you really can't go wrong with either player, but I think Rossi's upside is pretty astronomical.

HotDish

Win it for Hynes
Aug 17, 2020
The State of Hockey

I'm still going to say Rossi, however my hot take this draft is I think Lundell will go before Rossi. Mostly this is coming from that Jokke Nevalainen's tweet saying that Lundell fixed his skating over the summer which was a knock on him.

I think more teams will view Lundell as projecting to be a real center in the league while teams will view Rossi as a center or wing. I just think Rossi is a higher ceiling lower floor player than Lundell. It is time for us to take a risk on a player like that.

I would be very happy with Lundell too.

grN1g

Nov 11, 2009
Minnesota
I can give you a list with as many names as you like of players that were quality centers at lower levels that ended up being wingers in the NHL. Can you provide a list of players with similar physical traits and skill sets to Rossi that are currently playing center in the NHL?
Yeah but they were not drafted as "likely" Wings They were drafted as centers and settled to wings. You dont avoid any better player cause you are afraid he won't develop into one before he even steps on the ice.

HotDish

Win it for Hynes
Aug 17, 2020
The State of Hockey
Yeah but they were not drafted as "likely" Wings They were drafted as centers and settled to wings. You dont avoid any better player cause you are afraid he won't develop into one before he even steps on the ice.
Couldn't height definitely be knock on development?

this isn't really apples to apples, but couldn't height be the main reason why Cole Caufield dropped to 15 last year? I saw him going around 10, and even one mock had him going in the top 10. He dropped to 15 with teams like Philly even passing on him twice.

We of course don't know what teams were thinking, but I bet more than 1 felt like his size would prevent him from impacting a NHL roster.

Cole Caufield still went in the top half, but I could see Rossi dropping to even 9 nine, since I think there are teams out there that fear his size will prevent him from being a center. I'm not saying they are right either though.

Goes back to my earlier question i asked in the thread for everyone, Does Rossi's stock drop in your eyes if you were told he is only going to be a wing in the NHL?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad