2020 NHL Draft Thread: Who knows how many more days until this year's hockey tryouts? - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
Considering how the first 8 went you'd probably get the same reaction regardless of who you took, except maybe Sanderson.

Feels like the 2006 draft when I was hoping for one of the guys who ended up going 1-8 and we ended up with James "Popcorn Aficionado" Sheppard.

Also, if that's how 1-8 go, I'm good with taking Sanderson. The Jets are right behind us and I can't imagine he'll drop past them. Taking Sanderson to get a blue-chip LHD while also disappointing the Jets seems like a win/win to me.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Feels like the 2006 draft when I was hoping for one of the guys who ended up going 1-8 and we ended up with James "Popcorn Aficionado" Sheppard.

Also, if that's how 1-8 go, I'm good with taking Sanderson. The Jets are right behind us and I can't imagine he'll drop past them. Taking Sanderson to get a blue-chip LHD while also disappointing the Jets seems like a win/win to me.
Can't imagine that the Jets would be too disappointed to have Lundell as their 2C behind Scheifele

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
What is the expectation for Lundell as far as NHL-readiness at this point? One year out or more?

grN1g

Nov 11, 2009
Minnesota
What is the expectation for Lundell as far as NHL-readiness at this point? One year out or more?
Id say 1 or 2. It would probably be best for us to let him develope offense in the SEL playing top minutes longer than just this season if we picked him.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012

I would guess he's a year out. It appears he already has the size and smarts, but he's probably not ready to step right into a NHL line-up.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Here’s Wheeler’s recent evaluation of Rossi with a quote from Rossi’s coach:
3. Marco Rossi — C, Ottawa 67’s, 5-foot-9

Rossi was busy this summer. He skated with the ZSC Lions. He skated privately with Rob Schremp. He got fully healthy for the first time in a while and worked harder than ever in the gym. And now he has decided against signing in Europe, despite considerable interest, because he, his family, and his agent Serge Payer believe he’s going to make his NHL club this winter. Rossi has also reached agreements to practice with the EBEL’s Graz99ers and their head coach Doug Mason, as well as the DEL’s Straubing Tigers and their head coach Tom Pokel.
I don’t know how much more I can say about Rossi. He’s not far off from my idea of a perfect hockey player. He can break teams down through seams, he can beat defenders one-on-one both off the cycle (with strength) and the rush (with finesse and touch). He can score with his release or his hands and footwork. He plays in the middle of the ice but knows when to take the outside lane. And he’s the best defensive forward in the draft. Some evaluators point to his height and question whether he’ll stick at centre, his natural position. Others question his late birthday and dominant Ottawa 67’s team for the effect they had on his remarkable production. And while the latter has some effect on my evaluation, the former is lazy and doesn’t account for how strong he is or the way his low centre of gravity in his stance helps him fight off bigger defenders. He’s also one of the most determined, focused prospects I’ve ever interacted with and is probably the most NHL-ready player in the draft after Lafreniere, so the team that selects him is potentially getting an impact player from Day 1.
I always come back to Ottawa 67’s general manager James Boyd telling me this about Rossi:
“He’s a phenomenal player. Phenomenal. A few teams that have picked up on it. I’m biased but I think he’s the best player in our league. It’s not often you’ve got a player on your team who is the best offensive player, the best defensive player, the best guy on faceoffs, the best guy on the power play, the best guy on the penalty kill and probably your No. 1 shootout shooter. And the thing is he doesn’t cheat, so as the game goes along, he takes over. The No. 1 thing for me is his skating — which was a concern for some people — is phenomenal. Some guys are interested in getting better, he’s obsessed. If I told him to eat a pound of sunflower seeds every day because it would help him get to the NHL, he’d be right on it. It’s only going to continue. You hear this sort of stuff about Sidney Crosby or Shea Weber when they were juniors, it’s almost like a disorder, the striving to get better. I see the same thing in Marco. Nothing’s going to stop him.”
Wheeler: Wheeler: Updated ranking for the 2020 NHL Draft’s top 100 prospects

grN1g

Nov 11, 2009
Minnesota
Trading up with Detroit and overpaying and praying to God Ottawa passes him on 3 is our likely only chance at landing rossi.

I'm fully expecting OTT to take him at 3 regardless which means idk if we really can trade up for him.

Reactions: thestonedkoala

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
Trading up with Detroit and overpaying and praying to God Ottawa passes him on 3 is our likely only chance at landing rossi.

I'm fully expecting OTT to take him at 3 regardless which means idk if we really can trade up for him.
You think they take him over stutzle or Byfield??

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
A perfect hockey player that doesn't have speed or size?

The NCAA and even more, AHL are a big jump up in speed and strength. The NHL yet another big jump. I wonder what a guy who has, maybe, slightly above average speed and below average size in the CHL is going to do in the NHL. How do you get away from checks, or get any room at all to operate? Are you really going to be able to defend deep in the D zone as a C needs to in the NHL?

A coach giving a rave review about one of his players? Shocker!:rolleyes:

It's not impossible for a small player to star in the NHL, but if you don't have speed, acceleration, and exceptional skating it's a lot harder. Spurgeon is relatively tiny, but he always had good wheels.

Would I take him at #9? Probably...him expecting to go straight into the NHL as a C is crazy talk, though. Look at how much difficulty Hughes had last year, and he is an exceptional skater.

Reactions: guitarhunterdude

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
I agree; they won't take him over Stutzle or Byfield, though I'm going to laugh if they don't take him 5th. Grab Drysdale.
I don’t think Ottawa touches him and I see him going 6th at the earliest but more likely 7th. He may be good yes but I’d put Drysdale ahead of him simply because of the change occurring towards star 1D and he is a right handed one at that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad