2020 NHL Draft Thread: Who knows how many more days until this year's hockey tryouts? - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
BPA does not exist. It is imaginary.
Imaginary as it's not a pure fact, different people view players differently. You do the best you can as an organization and try to identify the BPA by making a draft board ranking each player etc.

You trust your ranking when you're talking who you think is the BPA.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
one person's junk is another person's BPA. none of us really know who BPA is or we wouldn't draft players like johansson or other bellyflops.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
So take this as you will, but AJ Jakubec, a TSN1200 broadcaster, tweeted this:

Which honestly doesn't really come as a surprise to me. I've been wondering for a while if the Wild wouldn't be a team that would rather take the chance on Stutzle/Byfield at 1.

The way I see it:

Byfield: Highest potential of the three, if he can figure it out and put it all together he could be an absolutely dominant force at center. He's got all the physical tools, and he has very soft hands and good skating for a 6'4 guy as well. Drawback is there's some question about his ability to put it all together and reach his potential at the next level. Likely the lowest of the three to reach that level.

Stutzle: Second highest potential. Almost certainly will be a star of the Patrick Kane level. I mean as sure as you can project these things out. Extremely smart player and elite level skillset. The question with him is there's a chance he's moved to the wing.

Lafreniere: Lowest potential of the three (not to say he doesn't have franchise cornerstone potential), but the safest to make it there. He will almost assuredly give you a consistent 90-100 points through his prime and potentially even contend for an Art Ross. Downside, you know you're only getting a LW. Even if it is a high end LW, GMs recognize you have to be strong at the center position to win in this league.

So you can go up and say, take the BPA, take Lafreniere, but depending on how you look at it, you could make a case for either Stutzle or Byfield being the BPA at 1 as well.

So again, can't help but wonder if Minnesota is one of those teams who looks at these three players, looks at their biggest organizational weakness, and says, "hey, we're willing to take a risk and bet on the less safe guys that have, in our opinions, higher or at least equal potential, but can play center."

I wouldn't be surprised at all if, upon receiving the first overall pick, Guerin got up there on October 9th and called out a name that isn't Lafreniere.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
If we lucked into 1 overall I would shop the pick to anyone in the top 3-5. Could get a haul for the pick and still walk away with a franchise center.
Get 3 + 5 and solve your center issues for the next decade by drafting Stutzle + Rossi (and then they both end up wingers lol)

Reactions: keppel146

Minnesnota

Apr 20, 2017
Denver
So take this as you will, but AJ Jakubec, a TSN1200 broadcaster, tweeted this:

Which honestly doesn't really come as a surprise to me. I've been wondering for a while if the Wild wouldn't be a team that would rather take the chance on Stutzle/Byfield at 1.

The way I see it:

Byfield: Highest potential of the three, if he can figure it out and put it all together he could be an absolutely dominant force at center. He's got all the physical tools, and he has very soft hands and good skating for a 6'4 guy as well. Drawback is there's some question about his ability to put it all together and reach his potential at the next level. Likely the lowest of the three to reach that level.

Stutzle: Second highest potential. Almost certainly will be a star of the Patrick Kane level. I mean as sure as you can project these things out. Extremely smart player and elite level skillset. The question with him is there's a chance he's moved to the wing.

Lafreniere: Lowest potential of the three (not to say he doesn't have franchise cornerstone potential), but the safest to make it there. He will almost assuredly give you a consistent 90-100 points through his prime and potentially even contend for an Art Ross. Downside, you know you're only getting a LW. Even if it is a high end LW, GMs recognize you have to be strong at the center position to win in this league.

So you can go up and say, take the BPA, take Lafreniere, but depending on how you look at it, you could make a case for either Stutzle or Byfield being the BPA at 1 as well.

So again, can't help but wonder if Minnesota is one of those teams who looks at these three players, looks at their biggest organizational weakness, and says, "hey, we're willing to take a risk and bet on the less safe guys that have, in our opinions, higher or at least equal potential, but can play center."

I wouldn't be surprised at all if, upon receiving the first overall pick, Guerin got up there on October 9th and called out a name that isn't Lafreniere.

It'll be Gary walking to the stage to announce Minnesota has traded the 1st overall to Ottawa in exchange for #3, #5, +. Then Ottawa announces Lafreniere, LA announces Stutzle, Minnesota announces Byfield.

Byfield has the highest ceiling and greatest potential of anyone in this draft and Guerin knows better than anyone that a franchise/generational center can take you from worst to first.

Apr 4, 2015
Minneapolis
I definitely see an argument for it. I think Rossi will be really good, and I think he’ll stick at center, so he’s a no brainer for me.
That’s a good point, he seems like a bonafide center where as Stutzle may end up a wing. Who does Rossi remind you of? I can’t really think of a great comparison, maybe the Austrian Brayden Point?

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
It'll be Gary walking to the stage to announce Minnesota has traded the 1st overall to Ottawa in exchange for #3, #5, +. Then Ottawa announces Lafreniere, LA announces Stutzle, Minnesota announces Byfield.

Byfield has the highest ceiling and greatest potential of anyone in this draft and Guerin knows better than anyone that a franchise/generational center can take you from worst to first.

And if Ottawa doesn't want to trade 3+5 for it?

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
Imo Rossi has the potential to be a better lefty Brayden point. He has true 1c upside.
Projection and Comparison

The biggest questions around Rossi are his size. However, there are more and more small players succeeding in the modern NHL, and Rossi has the dynamic offensive skills and the skating ability to overcome his lack of size. An extremely hard worker, Rossi does it all at both ends of the ice. He likely needs a year or two before he is ready for the NHL, but could become a first-line centre if he reaches his potential. Rossi’s game is comparable to Brayden Point of the Tampa Bay Lightning, but this is a stylistic comparison only and not one based on skill and ability.

random google search of nhl comparison for him and saw this so thought id share lol

Reactions: CROCODILE SEATS

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Sort by any order you prefer.

Realistic or not, it's a way better plan than keeping 1 and not even attempting to trade down.

And if you attempt to trade down, but can't come to an agreement that works for both sides?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad