Prospect Info: 2020 NHL Draft Thread Vol. 1

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Flyers' started by FLYguy3911, Sep 20, 2019.

1. Appleyard Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Student/law/stat/research
    Home Page:
    The knock is that he was buried on a 4th line in the Slovakian league for half the season.

He has been a guy a lot of people in Europe have watched for a few years.

Good all around. Not super dynamic... but I think 2nd line upside.

Stizzle and Chinatown88 like this.
  2. Chinatown88 Pursue what is meaningful (not what is expedient)

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Make sure he slides to us in the 2nd. :thumbu:

Appleyard likes this.
  3. Appleyard Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Home Page:
  4. DeweyCrowe Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Not sure if already mentioned, I only went back 5 or 6 pages but Vasili Ponomaryov's highlights are very impressive. Below is a write up on him from Last Word on Hockey with a highlight compilation video. I've only watched some of his highlight videos. Anybody seen him play or have any insight on him. I think he'll likely go in the 20-35 range based on rankings out there but Last Word has him ranked 52. He seems like he could be a steal if the Flyers to pick him up at 50 (I think that's where they pick in the 2nd if the NHL drafts before restarting). Normally, you see highlights like that and the kid is ranked lower because he lacks the all around game. However, according to the article his all around game is why he is ranked high and creativity is noted an area he could use improvement (sure didn't look like that from the highlights). I'm interest to see if anyone who seen him play enough would have a similar assessment to Last Word. Thanks for all the info you guys are posting. I'm just getting back into this and look forward to all of you posts.

Vasili Ponomaryov Scouting Report: 2020 NHL Draft #52

5. Curufinwe Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    On 31 Thoughts they joked that Philly won’t be getting any NHL events after Fletcher trashed the idea of a pre-playoffs draft.

Nabrules likes this.
  6. Stizzle Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Chuck showing some balls. I like it.

Curufinwe and renberg like this.
  7. FLYguy3911 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    He definitely looks a lot more impressive when he plays with peers internationally. Great production as a 16 year old in the MHL too. Not nearly as impressive in the Q. I was expecting a big second half from him and it never happened.

DeweyCrowe and Chinatown88 like this.
  8. Appleyard Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Home Page:
  9. Curufinwe Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    He made the very fair point that if the season is cancelled then playoff teams get none of the regular benefits like playoff revenue and playoff experience for their players, and then (in the Flyers case) still get stuck picking 6th from last in every draft round.

Stizzle likes this.
  10. phil162888 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    I haven't read that.... I agree 1000%. If the season is not completed, they need to adjust the draft. I recommend a draft lottery weighed for teams that were in the bottom half of the standings like usual but all teams should have the ability to move up in the draft significantly (have 4 or 5 potential lottery winners instead of 1). Second this should be a snake draft. Whomever gets stuck with the last pick in rd 1 should get the 1st pick of round 2. All teams that made trades for picks for players during the reg. season (trades made prior should remain in tact) should have the option of reworking the trade or moving compensation until another season. If the season ends today teams should not be hindered in a draft by results in a season that meant absolutely nothing.

11. DeweyCrowe Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Thanks FLYguy! I guess progression during the Q season was a problem for him but man he looks like a play maker.

FLYguy3911 likes this.
  12. FLYguy3911 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Here are the average scoring rates per team per game in various notable leagues this year. Russia is just playing a different brand of hockey.

upload_2020-5-17_15-4-49.png

Stizzle and Appleyard like this.
  13. Flyerfan13 Registered User Sponsor

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
  14. IronMarshal Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Teacher
    Home Page:
    As an NHL Draft junkie I have been jonesing for a June draft providing they can do so in an equitable way.

This is a really interesting draft year with a lot of quality looking prospects that reach well into the third round. It is a great year to have extra picks in the first three rounds.

The more I think about it, as a Flyers fan, it would be better if the league holds off the draft until after the playoffs, if they have them (and it looks like they will, despite a lot of issues like 17% of the players who are over seas). Since the Flyers have only 2 picks in the top 3 rounds, I would for Fletcher to have the opportunity to move a player for more picks in the top 3 rounds. With all of the youngsters who are borderline ready, he could move a decent player who may not be keepable on his next contract, or through the expansion draft.

Of course Fletch needs to be careful moving a player For a pick when he has a strongish playoff contender.

BernieParent and TB87 like this.
  15. TB87 The Artist Formerly Known As Ted Brown

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Finley, Kaiser, Jurmo, McClennon, & Seeley all intrigue me from the back half of 2nd Rd through the 4th Rd. I really hope they get a 3rd or another 2nd somehow.

IronMarshal likes this.
  16. IronMarshal Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Teacher
    Home Page:
    You just know Wyatt Kaiser was born to be a Flyer. Why else would his parents have named him Wyatt?

17. Appleyard Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Home Page:
    If Villeneuve fell to the 2nd would be very interested as well.

Righty, and while has some flaws (not exactly super talented hands wise and skating just "solid", albeit nice edge-work generally) has a lot of skills I want in a modern NHL Dman... and has a lot of frame to grow into right now. Is really physically underdeveloped

Great outlet passer.
    Amazing vision.
    Very good at own blueline.
    Fantastic shot.
    Always composed.

Now, Poirier for sure made him look a bit better than he is. But Villeneuve also cleaned up a lot inside own zone for Poirier.

Dont think he likely has more than #3 upside given overall skill-set. But odds wise dont think there will be better Dmen than him late in 2nd if he gets there.

TB87 and Chinatown88 like this.
  18. TB87 The Artist Formerly Known As Ted Brown

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Gotta corner the market on the Wyatt’s

19. TB87 The Artist Formerly Known As Ted Brown

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000

I’ve heard good things about him. From what I hear, very few skaters defended well on that Saint John’s team. Sounds like a potential coaching issue that reared it’s head frequently throughout the season

Appleyard likes this.
  20. Appleyard Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Home Page:
    Poirier is electric for sure, fantastic skill-set... but yeh, think some was certainly team-related in terms of overall team D from the bits I watched. But Villeneuve seemed ahead of him in terms of reads. But Poirier is soooo much fun.

21. TB87 The Artist Formerly Known As Ted Brown

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Ive heard nothing but Poirier is good but his defense is terrible. I wonder if he’s jsut one of those guys who can get his defense fixed to a workable level. Depends on his baseline defensive play now though. If it’s terrible enough now, the hill is high to climb

Appleyard likes this.
  22. Appleyard Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Home Page:
    I dont see any reason he cant barring a lack of application. Beautiful skater with amazing hands. At worst could become Ghost level defensively with that mobility at a blueline.

TB87 likes this.
  23. IronMarshal Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Teacher
    Home Page:
    To me Poirier seems somewhat like Tony DeAngelo in jr from a skill perspective. Better attitude, but all offense, lackadaisical on d. Strong skater, though I heard that his backward skating needed work. If true, it is probably due to always moving forward, kind of like Field Marshal Gebhard Liebricht von Blucher of Prussia aka Marshal Vorworts.

TB87 likes this.
  24. FLYguy3911 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    I don't think his skating is the issue at all. Just more of a commitment issue. Poirier trying to defend Poirier off the rush would be quite entertaining. That Saint John team is really young and games often went off the rails quickly (not that Poirier didn't contribute to that at times). Doubt the Flyers go Defense in the 1st round, especially another lefty, but he's the only CHL one I'd consider. Biggest boom if that is your fancy. Ginger too.

Here he is undressing Schneider (hopefully he is off the board).

Villeneuve I really wanted to like. His on paper profile is excellent. Led his club in scoring. Lead Q defensemen is scoring as a draft eligible. Former 2nd overall pick. Right handed. Good ES Scorer. Good On/Off stats...BUT the skating was so bad when I saw him I just couldn't really consider him too seriously in the top 60. It wasn't really just one aspect of his skating either, it was a little bit of everything, even his balance was all over the place. Just really crude and I found it impacted his play without the puck quite a bit- closing gaps, turning easy puck retrievals into board battles, etc. You have to be really confident he can iron those issues out if you take him in the top 2 rounds.

I would be surprised if he goes in the second but I guess it only takes one team. I feel like I'm saying this about every player that comes up in these discussions, but I'd consider him ~mid-3rd-4th and just gamble on the profile being too good to ignore. Obviously as it stands now without a 3rd rounder, the Flyers would need to determine if he's closer to#50 or #100.

Last edited: May 19, 2020
  25. Appleyard Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Home Page:
    His stride for sure needs work. Very upright, does not bend his knees much and as a result his skates angle outwards too much and reduce the power he gets at times. But I also thought despite that he managed to accelerate away from and go past guys quite a lot. Ofc the Q is not the NHL... but he is a faster skater than a guy like Hagg already even if his stride is very unorthodox.

IronMarshal likes this.