2020 NHL Draft Thread: only 365 more days until next years hockey tryouts

Status
Not open for further replies.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
We could always become the Senators.

You mean a team that went to the 3rd round in the playoffs two years ago? Or a team that had a rookie score 22 goals and 45 points? Or a team that knows veterans aren't going to sign back, so they trade them before they hit the free agent market?

Mark Stone, Matt Duchene and Ryan Dzingel (who was a 7th round pick) netted them: Oscar Lindberg, Erik Brannstrom, Anthony Duclair, Vitaly Abramov, Jonathan Davidson, 1st round pick in 2019, 1st round pick in 2020 and (3) 2nd round picks. Not as good as when they traded for Duchene, but still - a good return for pending free agents.

Reactions: Chrisinroch

SupremeNachos

Dec 6, 2011
Minnesota
You mean a team that went to the 3rd round in the playoffs two years ago? Or a team that had a rookie score 22 goals and 45 points? Or a team that knows veterans aren't going to sign back, so they trade them before they hit the free agent market?

Mark Stone, Matt Duchene and Ryan Dzingel (who was a 7th round pick) netted them: Oscar Lindberg, Erik Brannstrom, Anthony Duclair, Vitaly Abramov, Jonathan Davidson, 1st round pick in 2019, 1st round pick in 2020 and (3) 2nd round picks. Not as good as when they traded for Duchene, but still - a good return for pending free agents.
Or a owner that won't even bother to try at all?

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
last 2 drafts could have been better if we would have drafted veleno or bokk plus instead of a 2nd rnd goalie we could have one of those 3 Russian players nicolyev ; dorofeyev ; spiridonov. my comment was more about the trades.

AJ Thelen

Nov 19, 2010
Pontypandy
Quinton Byfield already got 6+6 in 5 games for Sudbury Wolves.

Imagine getting the 2nd overall pick and getting him instead of the usual 12th-16th pick.

Dickie Dunn

Jan 4, 2016
Minneapolis
Yeah, I’ve stared looking at the “top 5” as well just to learn a little about them. Supposedly this is a very good year for high end talent at the top.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Quinton Byfield already got 6+6 in 5 games for Sudbury Wolves.

Imagine getting the 2nd overall pick and getting him instead of the usual 12th-16th pick.

Imagine getting the 155th overall pick and getting a scorer instead of the usual bust...oh right. Doesn't matter where you pick; Damien Giroux has 4 goals, tied for top 10 right now for scoring in the OHL. The current leader is Connor McMichael, who was drafted 25th overall by the Capitals. After Quinton, another 2020 prospect and then Matej Pekar (drafted 4th round, 94th overall), and then Chad Yetman, who hasn't been drafted.

Our prospects are doing well; most of them currently are a point or more per game. Hell Khovanov has 5 points in 2 games. He's also top 20 in points, even though he has played 2 games while others played 4 or 5.

All it has to come down to is your scouting. You can find good players everywhere.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Imagine getting the 155th overall pick and getting a scorer instead of the usual bust...oh right. Doesn't matter where you pick; Damien Giroux has 4 goals, tied for top 10 right now for scoring in the OHL. The current leader is Connor McMichael, who was drafted 25th overall by the Capitals. After Quinton, another 2020 prospect and then Matej Pekar (drafted 4th round, 94th overall), and then Chad Yetman, who hasn't been drafted.

Our prospects are doing well; most of them currently are a point or more per game. Hell Khovanov has 5 points in 2 games. He's also top 20 in points, even though he has played 2 games while others played 4 or 5.

All it has to come down to is your scouting. You can find good players everywhere.

Are you trying to dispute that it’s easier to get good players higher up in the draft?

AJ Thelen

Nov 19, 2010
Pontypandy

Almost every scout all over the internet has Byfield as a bonafide 2nd overall pick behind Lafreniére. Getting him would give this team a projected franchise center in which this team has never had.

I’m sorry if me wanting him upset you.

Reactions: AKL

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Almost every scout all over the internet has Byfield as a bonafide 2nd overall pick behind Lafreniére. Getting him would give this team a projected franchise center in which this team has never had.

It was a really weird issue to take with your post

Reactions: AJ Thelen

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta

I'd love to get him. I'd hate the road that we'd have to drive down to get there.

Reactions: AJ Thelen

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Are you trying to dispute that it’s easier to get good players higher up in the draft?

No, but I am disputing that you need to tank to get one. St. Louis got Tarasenko 16th overall. Boston got Bergeron in the 2nd and Pasta in the 20s. As long as you have good scouts talent can be found anywhere.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
No, but I am disputing that you need to tank to get one. St. Louis got Tarasenko 16th overall. Boston got Bergeron in the 2nd and Pasta in the 20s. As long as you have good scouts talent can be found anywhere.

Yes and it’s easier to find it at the top. I don’t see your point.
I’d rather have Eichel than Tarasenko or Pastrnak.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Maybe. Didn't the worst team in the league draft 4th last year?

That’s a different conversation. A more realistic one. I’m talking about the guarantee of Byfield for one year of bad hockey.

But honestly, a 4th overall would help immensely as well. Ask Avs fans if it was worth being mad to draft MacKinnon. Ask Pens fans if it was worth being bad to draft Crosby. Ask Florida fans if it was worth being bad to draft Barkov.

It sucks when it happens, but getting that top center is always worth it. Always.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I have lifetime subscription to "You Don't Need to Tank to Draft Good Players" monthly, but even I'll admit that drafting in the top-3 is typically a whole different ballgame than the rest of the 1st. The problem is actually getting one of those picks.

Reactions: Dr Jan Itor

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
That’s a different conversation. A more realistic one. I’m talking about the guarantee of Byfield for one year of bad hockey.

But honestly, a 4th overall would help immensely as well. Ask Avs fans if it was worth being mad to draft MacKinnon. Ask Pens fans if it was worth being bad to draft Crosby. Ask Florida fans if it was worth being bad to draft Barkov.

It sucks when it happens, but getting that top center is always worth it. Always.

Technically the Penguins didn't get Crosby for being bad, but they did get Malkin.

I'm fully aware of the potential benefits of the top of the draft. The keyword always being "potential". Just as easy to run into the Reinharts and the Galchenyuks and the RNH's. And those are the good NHLers, not even mentioning the disasters like Yakupov and Gudbranson. Especially now since they've tweaked the lottery odds. It was a little bit of an easier sell before.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I’ve always only ever been a proponent of not being upset if we do lose. It’s all cyclical. Players come and go, teams are good then they’re bad. But I’ll be a fan of the team for the next 50+ years (hopefully), so if there are 5 bad years and we pick top 5 in all of them and we come out on the other side with superstar players that bring us to a cup, I don’t care that we had those 5 bad years. It doesn’t matter to me who we win with. I don’t really care about wasting Zucker’s time here, or making sure we’re competitive for the duration of Suter’s contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad