2020 NHL Draft Thread: only 365 more days until next years hockey tryouts

Status
Not open for further replies.

AJ Thelen

Nov 19, 2010
Pontypandy
I’d love a top 7 this year. Lafrienere, obviously has the potential to be a superstar. Byfield is drawing Malkin comparisons. Holtz is a great goal scorer who can also make plays. Raymond is a Mitch marner clone. I think he could be better than marner. Perfetti would be an awesome addition to our collection of centers who aren’t really centers. Lundell im skeptical about but he looks like a valid koivu replacement. Gunler can really bury pucks

Why?

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
So it's early, but Lafreniere is continuing his McDavid-esque scoring pace this year. IF (hypothetically) the Wild get 1st overall, would any of you hesitate to draft him because he's a left handed LW? The kid's going to be a 100 point scorer in the NHL.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
So it's early, but Lafreniere is continuing his McDavid-esque scoring pace this year. IF (hypothetically) the Wild get 1st overall, would any of you hesitate to draft him because he's a left handed LW? The kid's going to be a 100 point scorer in the NHL.
Anyone who responds "yes" to this would be absolutely brainless, to put it nicely. :D

Reactions: AKL and Bazeek

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
We just need elite players period. We gon' suck for a few years so gotta take BPA.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta

Zero hesitation.

Reactions: AKL

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
I would hesitate long enough to find out what's the story with the Byfield kid. But, to answer the actual question. No, I wouldn't hesitate at all to take the BPA. The game Boldy played last night should make this even more obvious to everyone.

Reactions: Dr Jan Itor

DemidovSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
No hesitation. Kane level ceiling

DemidovSaveUs

May 2, 2018
I’ve been watching some propects and one that really has stood out to me is Tim Stutzle. He’s projected mid to late 1st round, but I think he’s a good bet to work his way into the top 7 by the end of the year. Will be a player to keep an eye on this year

DemidovSaveUs

May 2, 2018
I’d like another 1st as well, but it will likely have to be Brodin/Zucker

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I’d like another 1st as well, but it will likely have to be Brodin/Zucker

Unless Zucker starts to separate himself from the rest of our wingers, I’d be all for trading him at the deadline for a 1st or similar value prospect. Would also help recoup some cap flexibility going forward.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Unless Zucker starts to separate himself from the rest of our wingers, I’d be all for trading him at the deadline for a 1st or similar value prospect. Would also help recoup some cap flexibility going forward.

If he doesn't separate himself from the rest of the wingers he's not worth a 1st.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta

If Zucker doesn't separate himself then I think a 1st is probably wishful thinking.

Reactions: AJ Thelen

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
If he doesn't separate himself from the rest of the wingers he's not worth a 1st.
If Zucker doesn't separate himself then I think a 1st is probably wishful thinking.
Trade him for whatever you get then. If he doesn’t separate himself by then, the return would come second to getting out of the contract

DemidovSaveUs

May 2, 2018
I don’t Hate the idea, but there’s always the chance of throwing away value and missing in the pick. Unless we can replace him(free agency/forwards stepping up) I think it’s risky. We can absolutely not afford to lose value

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I don’t Hate the idea, but there’s always the chance of throwing away value and missing in the pick. Unless we can replace him(free agency/forwards stepping up) I think it’s risky. We can absolutely not afford to lose value

If you absolutely can't afford to lose value then you don't trade NHL players for picks or prospects in the first place.

P10p

May 15, 2012
Honestly wouldn't surprise me the least to see then use our first to bring in scoring help

DemidovSaveUs

May 2, 2018
If you absolutely can't afford to lose value then you don't trade NHL players for picks or prospects in the first place.
And I don’t think we should, at least not serviceable NHLers. I believe that rebuilds end up getting extended when teams do fire sales. Think about a team like buffalo; They began to regress in the lockout shortened season of 2012-13. Once the regression started, the sold off players top players on their team like vanek, pominville, Myers, etc. They ended up getting a bunch of really good picks, but no longer had anybody to good to support these young players. Lots of the futures they traded for flopped, and the rebuild continued for much longer than expected. If you can be organically bad enough, which we just might be able to, then keeping Zucker/Brodin gives us a chance at a real quick rebuild. That’s why I would wait out the season and move them at the draft if it looks like we may not be able to get the talent we need quickly. But imagine if we did get a chance to select Byfield and Zucker/Brodin are still here.
3 years from now:
Fiala-Byfield-Kaprizov
Zucker-Boldy-Kunin
Parise-Ek-Greenway
Xxxxx-Sturm-Hartman

Brodin-Dumba
Suter-Spurgeon
Belpedio-Xxxx

Kaapo/Robson/FA signing
Jones/FA signing

If anything I’d look to recoup some value for Donato if it’s still possible.

Add in the firsts In 2021 and 2022, which are likely to be lottery, and we have more good young players coming up(hopefully)

Reactions: Dr Jan Itor
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->