2020 NHL Draft Thread: only 365 more days until next years hockey tryouts

Status
Not open for further replies.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
All this prospects seem like a big deal till they get picked, and actually start playing at higher levels. Lafreniere and maybe Byfield are the guys who will likely be able to take their skills to the NHL. The rest are "maybes". Last year at this time, Podkolzin was the consensus #3 player.
The 6 I listed above would all be locks for top 3 last year. I know what you’re saying, but this draft has been pegged for having so many elite prospects at the top for a while now

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Ya, but Poolparty was considered a can't miss 2B, together with Laine(2A). Until we know more, I'm saying this is a two person draft.

Askarov is a wild card. He appears to be a potential star, if not a generational player...but he's a goalie.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Ya, but Poolparty was considered a can't miss 2B, together with Laine(2A). Until we know more, I'm saying this is a two person draft.

Askarov is a wild card. He appears to be a potential star, if not a generational player...but he's a goalie.
So is Askarov considered on another level than Knight?

Edit: Did some reading after posting and it sounds like Askarov is more athletic, but overall, they sound like they are roughly around the same level of prospect?

Last edited:

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
So is Askarov considered on another level than Knight?

Edit: Did some reading after posting and it sounds like Askarov is more athletic, but overall, they sound like they are roughly around the same level of prospect?
Askarov is better than knight

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Askarov is supposed to be better. This seems to be a weak draft for C's after Byfield, and some of the best players are LW's. Not ideal.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Askarov is supposed to be better. This seems to be a weak draft for C's after Byfield, and some of the best players are LW's. Not ideal.

He's a wrong handed goalie too; that makes him a little more interesting to me.

Nsjohnson

Hockey.
Jun 22, 2012
Miami
It's a good thing this draft seems to be very, very forward heavy. Something like 8-9 out of the top 10 are all forwards on many lists.

I said once on here, I have a hard time seeing the Wild pick outside of the top 5 this year. I think the top 7 guys all are great adds, with of course a top 2 pick being huge, but I can't help but think the only way we pick there is by some luck, something we usually lack.

Wild can take advantage of this particular draft being top heavy on forwards and get, hopefully, something we have needed for years. A really high end forward, god forbid a center, or a winger.

We would then have Kap, Boldy, and XYZ player as prospects topping our list, and if we can add a second first, draft BPA with it like a faller, draft all round, and do it again next year this could possibly turn around sooner than later.

To add something, I personally value speed and IQ most now with prospects.

I don't care about the shot or size.

If you can skate like hell, and think, that is today's NHL.

If a guy can skate and has a high IQ AND is 6'4'', great. That's awesome.

But a guy like Rossi I don't shy away from.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 16thOverallSaveUs

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
well byfield is my target; if we pick around 5 stutzle or perfetti; if we pick around 10th hollaway or azkarov. just think if we had a goalie who could steal 5 -10 games a year!

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
well byfield is my target; if we pick around 5 stutzle or perfetti; if we pick around 10th hollaway or azkarov. just think if we had a goalie who could steal 5 -10 games a year!

We already have a pretty solid pipeline for goalies. 4-7 is the best place to take another goaltender if need be.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
i don't know the first thing about how to pick a goalie , im just sayn if askarov is the real deal a goalie that can stand on his head and steal games is worth his weight in gold.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
i don't know the first thing about how to pick a goalie , im just sayn if askarov is the real deal a goalie that can stand on his head and steal games is worth his weight in gold.

You can find a good goaltender in the later rounds or on the FA market. You only need 2 goalies, but 13 forwards. Getting an impact center for this team is more important than an impact goalie.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
i thought Hackett was going to be the next wild goalie and then he bellyflopped after being traded to buffalo. how does anyone know if a goalie will be good?

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
i thought Hackett was going to be the next wild goalie and then he bellyflopped after being traded to buffalo. how does anyone know if a goalie will be good?

Which is why you don't want to draft one in the 1st round. Hackett also had a really bad injury in Buffalo.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Me, neither.

It's disturbing how many of the top players in this draft are LW's.

Kase

May 1, 2016
Me, neither.

It's disturbing how many of the top players in this draft are LW's.
Aside from Lafreniere and Perfetti I think many of the top players can play either right wing or center.

For example Stutzle has played center in national teams and juniors. Sure he is playing wing at the moment in men's league, but wouldn't surprise me at all if he is developed like Aho, who after his rookie season in NHL moved from wing to center. I think Stutzle as well has the tools to develop into NHL center if the team that drafts him decides that way. But I mean of course he could end up like Granlund, who is more effective from the wing.

Then there are centers like Byfield, Lundell, Rossi, Zary etc.

Raymond and Holtz can play both wings, and are right handed.

Even Perfetti has played center, so who knows maybe he can do that at the NHL level too, even though I'd consider him a winger.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
The worst thing that can happen to a franchise in the current cap world of the NHL is to get an elite goaltender that gets paid elite goaltender money.

Reactions: Nsjohnson

Wabit

May 23, 2016
The worst thing that can happen to a franchise in the current cap world of the NHL is to get an elite goaltender that gets paid elite goaltender money.

Paying a non-elite goalie, elite goalie money, is worse.

Price's current contract blows, but that's because of the term more than the AAV. His 6 x $6.5m before his huge deal was worth every penny. Goalies, like any other position, is not holding on too long and overpaying their big UFA contract that covers most of their 30's. Goalie contracts haven't caught up the the Matthews, McDavid, Eichel, etc type of big payday after the ELC.

If you can draft an elite player at any position you do it. Goalies are more of a guess that a for sure to make the NHL, but any prospect can turn out to be a bust.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Paying a non-elite goalie, elite goalie money, is worse.

Price's current contract blows, but that's because of the term more than the AAV. His 6 x $6.5m before his huge deal was worth every penny. Goalies, like any other position, is not holding on too long and overpaying their big UFA contract that covers most of their 30's. Goalie contracts haven't caught up the the Matthews, McDavid, Eichel, etc type of big payday after the ELC.

If you can draft an elite player at any position you do it. Goalies are more of a guess that a for sure to make the NHL, but any prospect can turn out to be a bust.
The problem is, teams seem to feel "obligated" to pay the elite goaltender rather than move them. I want nothing to do with them to make sure it doesn't happen at all.

If this was a non-cap league, say yes to elite goaltenders every time, but in this climate? Give me more skaters please, I can find goaltending other ways.

so you don't take elite talent anywhere you can get it? im confused.
Goaltenders don't even play every game. Skaters do. In terms of impact per dollar when it comes to high end goaltenders vs their lesser counterparts when compared to high end skaters and their lesser counterparts, the value just isn't there for goaltenders anymore. Not in a cap world.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad