2020 NHL Draft Prospects

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
Matt Choupani is a name that hasn't been discussed yet. High-end offensive skills but needs work with all-around play. He is 2nd in Quebec Midget AAA scoring with 34-27-61 in 30 games. He is comitted to Northeastern 2021.

He is listed at 5'8 1/2 and 172lbs

Anyone knows where he will play in 2019 and 2020? Seems like a good candidate to go high in the USHL draft. He is not interested in playing in the Q

IHaveNoCreativity

May 5, 2012
Somewhere in Quebec.
Matt Choupani is a name that hasn't been discussed yet. High-end offensive skills but needs work with all-around play. He is 2nd in Quebec Midget AAA scoring with 34-27-61 in 30 games. He is comitted to Northeastern 2021.

He is listed at 5'8 1/2 and 172lbs

Anyone knows where he will play in 2019 and 2020? Seems like a good candidate to go high in the USHL draft. He is not interested in playing in the Q
He’s going to play in the USHL next year, Omaha is one of the options.

Matt will get drafted in my opinion but I do not think he will be a 1st round pick, I think later rounds and after a few years at north eastern he’ll be ready. He really improve a lot over the summer, was always good but got faster and strong and it’s mAde the difference. If he does that again this summer than I’ll have to retract my above statement.

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
Early list from the QMJHL

1) Alexis Lafreniere, F (RIM)
2) Hendrix Lapierre, F (CHI)
3) Josh Lawrence, F (SJ)
4) Lukas Cormier, D (CHA)
5) William Villeneuve, D (SJ)
6) Justin Barron, D (HAL)
7) Jeremie Poirier, D (SJ)
8) Dawson Mercer, F (DRU)
9) Mavrick Bourque, F (SHA)
10) Brady Burns, F (SJ)
11) Theo Rochette, F (CHI)
12) Jeremie Biakabutuka, D (VD)
13) Charlie DesRoches, D (SJ)
14) Antoine Coulombe, G (SHA)
15) William Dufour, F (CHI)
16) Charles Beaudoin, F (SHA)
17) Patrick Guay, F (SHE)
18) Elliot Desnoyers, F (MON)
19) Charles-Antoine Lavallee, G (MON)
20) Pier-Olivier Roy, F (GAT)
21) Dawson Stairs, F (SJ)
22) Samuel Regis, D (ROU)
23) Ryan Francis, F (CAP)
24) Alex Drover, F (SJ)
25) Marshall Lessard, F (VD)
26) Nicolas Kingsbury-Fournier, F (BAT)
27) William Provost, F (VD)
28) William Veillette, F (SHA)
29) Benjamin Rhoode, D (BAT)
30) Nicholas Savoie, D (QUE)

Last edited:

AuVetShkine

Aug 2, 2018
Good list.

Surprised to see Barron at 6 in the Q, considering most 2020 mock drafts have him mid first round, and pretty much always the 2nd guy from the Q after Lafrenière.

Is Patrick Guay this low because of his size? He has always proven everyone wrong on this aspect and has always been a Top 3 in the 2002 crop. And he's going good in Sherbrooke.

I have not seen Samuel Dube play but I guess the Mooseheads had done their homework before making him the 12th pick. He's 16 and on a stacked team and have missed some time due to injury. It will be interesting to see how he does when he has a bigger role on the team. Probably Top 30 talent-wise.

Biakabutuka might be the surprise of the year. +/- don't mean much by itself, but leading the team in +/- as a 16-year old Dman is a nice accomplishment, even if on the minus side.

Is Josh Lawrence suffering from being on a bad team ? He does not have that great of a season, after having made a splash in his debut in the Q, being the player of the week of the first week.

Mercer is underestimated. He will have a bigger role next year and in a less-stacked Volts team. I expect him to shine.

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
Good list.

Surprised to see Barron at 6 in the Q, considering most 2020 mock drafts have him mid first round, and pretty much always the 2nd guy from the Q after Lafrenière.

Is Patrick Guay this low because of his size? He has always proven everyone wrong on this aspect and has always been a Top 3 in the 2002 crop. And he's going good in Sherbrooke.

I have not seen Samuel Dube play but I guess the Mooseheads had done their homework before making him the 12th pick. He's 16 and on a stacked team and have missed some time due to injury. It will be interesting to see how he does when he has a bigger role on the team. Probably Top 30 talent-wise.

Biakabutuka might be the surprise of the year. +/- don't mean much by itself, but leading the team in +/- as a 16-year old Dman is a nice accomplishment, even if on the minus side.

Is Josh Lawrence suffering from being on a bad team ? He does not have that great of a season, after having made a splash in his debut in the Q, being the player of the week of the first week.

Mercer is underestimated. He will have a bigger role next year and in a less-stacked Volts team. I expect him to shine.

Interesting reply! Barron I feel is really good but I try to project players way into the future and I believe guys like Cormier/Lapierre/Villeneuve will end up better, just my opinion. Don't forget Barron is a late birthday so he was in the Q just like Lafreniere while the rest of the crop was still playing midget, so he was more known. Doesn't mean much but he has a better reputation because of this. Not many people know of Poirier/Villeneuve/Lapierre/Cormier yet.

Havnt paid attention to Dube yet.

Guay is great, unsure about his skating/size. He's a guy who could climb for sure with a intense summer in the gym.

Biakabutuka has 1st round potential. Mercer too. Lawrence should be a 1st rounder when all is said and done.

A lot of talent coming up, and don't forget about new imports too. Their progression in the next 12 months will dictate where they end up getting drafted

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York

3) Josh Lawrence, F (SJ)
10) Brady Burns, F (SJ)
23) Ryan Francis, G (CAP)
24) Alex Drover, G (SJ)

I think you have Lawrence way too high, while having Poirier and Barron way too low.

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
Wow have to say u have barron and poirier really low especially a lot of places have him top 5 in the.draft next year and i can see it...lawrence wayyyy too high...perwonally i would have rochett and mercer ahead of villeneauve and possibley bourque...i 3ould have barron 2nd lapierre 3rd and poirier 4th

3) Josh Lawrence, F (SJ)
10) Brady Burns, F (SJ)
23) Ryan Francis, F (CAP)
24) Alex Drover, F (SJ)

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

YEGJuniorFan

Dec 3, 2009
Edmonton
Carter Savoie (Matt's older brother) was named rookie of the year for Alberta's Junior A league. He led his team in scoring as a 16 year old. He could sneak into the 1st round if his skating continues to improve.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I'm doing my draft board differently for 2020. I've separated players into 8 regions. Western Canada, Ontario, Eastern Canada, USA, Sweden, Finland, Russia and Rest of the World. My initial rankings will be region based, then I plan on merging them for an early list of top 31, a mid season list of top 62 and an end of season list of top 100.

So far I have 19 players on my board from Western Canada, 11 from Ontario region, 9 from Eastern Canada, 8 from the US, 7 from Sweden, 4 from Finland, 4 from Russia and 3 from Rest of the World.

The WHL having more players is more a product of me watching a lot more live WHL games to notice players, that will even out a lot more as players make their way onto the board. Looks like a really solid class so far. Outside of Askarov it looks weak on goalies so far. Very deep on centers, especially from the OHL and very very deep on the wings. Some solid Dmen but not overly deep there yet just some good high end kids.

DraftScout1986

Jun 18, 2020
Tim Alverhag, forward with good speed and great skill set. a sniper with a good shot.
needs to play SuperElit soon...

Tim Alverhag at eliteprospects.com
I agree with you. Very talented player that has gone under the radar.
I think he has become more of a playermaker aswell. Put him as a Center and get him used to playing there and he will for sure be one of the best Centers born 2002. With the right training from a NHL team this kid will be an amazing player.

Last edited:

DraftScout1986

Jun 18, 2020
His numbers in J18 Allsvenskan don't look that great.
According to sources he decided to play u18 instead of u20 this year for more time on the ice. Watching some of his games I can say he does way more than what his points show. He creates A LOT of chances for his teammates but unfortunately the puck won’t go in most of the times.
He has great potential tho.

Last edited:

DraftScout1986

Jun 18, 2020
Ake Stakkestad did an amazing season in BIK Karlskoga putting up a lot of points in both j18 and j20. Not a big player that you see on the ice but always on the right place to find the goal, interesting player for sure.

Last edited:

Nabrules

Nov 5, 2018
Hockeyprospects actually just rated Braden Schneider above Jamie Drysdale LOLLLLL

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
Late 2001 F Alexis Lafrenière is dominating Qc Bantam AAA. Should probably have been surclassed to midget AAA alongside the other three excellent 2001s (Simoneau, Parent and Poulin who are all producing at a similar rate to what Veleno did last year). Lafrenière is the only "late" in that group and his area's MAAA team went with a old team this year so he is back to BAAA and dominating.

http://www.lheq.ca/fr/stats/classement_joueur.html?season=322&subSeason=398&category=1293

2001 is shaping up to be the best development year in many, many years for top-end talent in Québec.

A look back to year 2015.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad