2020 NHL Draft Prospects

jalperi

Feb 17, 2016
Alongside Simontaival, Suni and Lundell Veeti Miettinen(-01), Ruben Rafkin and Kasper Puutio are next possible finns to first round,

OldScool

Nov 27, 2007
1.)C Alexis Lafreniere
2.)C Quinton Byfield
3.)RW Alex Holtz
4.)C Dylan Peterson
5.)RD Justin Barron
6.)F Kasper Simontaival
7.)LD Kaiden Guhle
8.)RW Lucas Raymond
9 .)C Marco Rossi
10.)F Connor McLennon
11.)RD Noah Delemont
12.)F Daniil Gushchin
13.)F Dylan Holloway
14.)RW Brandon Coe
15.)F Jake Neighbours
16.)F Kyle Crnkovic
17.) RD Braden Schneider
18.) C Nick Wong
19.)F Theodor Neiderbach
20.)F Josh Lawrence
21.)RW Adam Raska
22.)F Oliver Suni
23.)F Ty Smilanic
24.)F Tim Stutzle
25.)LD Samuel Knazko
26.)F Jack Finley
27.)C Theo Rochette
28.)RD Rhett Rhinehart
28.)LW Noah Gunler
30.)LD Hugo Styf
31.)RW Seth Jarvis
32??)F Jaromir Pytlik
Idk, I’m really high on Justin Barron I guess, I just really think he’s a smart defenseman who may put up monster numbers in his draft year as he would have played 3 seasons in the Q and has so much time to grow and improve, no doubt in my mind he will be the most mature Dman coming out of this class, unless someone says otherwise.

List is way too OHL centric.

NA Hockey

Nov 16, 2015
I was thinking list is way too WHL centric. My count has approximately 9 WHL guys in the first round and only 4 OHL area guys. I think this list is missing 3 or 4 high end OHL area players.

Let's be honest, beyond the top 3 or 4 this a total crap shoot this early, and is based on hype and hearsay as much as it is on viewings.

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
authockeytxreports.wordpress.com
I was thinking list is way too WHL centric. My count has approximately 9 WHL guys in the first round and only 4 OHL area guys. I think this list is missing 3 or 4 high end OHL area players.

Let's be honest, beyond the top 3 or 4 this a total crap shoot this early, and is based on hype and hearsay as much as it is on viewings.
Of course, it's to be expected. Even if you look at well-researched examples like Scoutman1's early takes, forget positioning, if half of them end up going in the first round at all it will have been a borderline-wizardly list.

bottomofthefoodchain

Feb 10, 2008
Stockholm
Alexander Holtza name to watch. Over 2ppg for Djurgarden J18 as a 3rd liner, just shy of 1ppg for J20. I doubt he gets a game this year for the big club, but next year is a possibility.

Zero dangle in his game, plays so direct but always makes the right play. His current stick is super stiff: give him something a little more whippy and he might start scoring like Laine.

More like 3ppg.

Reactions: felixpettersson

OldScool

Nov 27, 2007
List is Canadian and International centric as well. Missing most top USA players.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
1.)C Alexis Lafreniere
2.)C Quinton Byfield
3.)RW Alex Holtz
4.)C Dylan Peterson
5.)RD Justin Barron
6.)F Kasper Simontaival
7.)LD Kaiden Guhle
8.)RW Lucas Raymond
9 .)C Marco Rossi
10.)F Connor McLennon
11.)RD Noah Delemont
12.)F Daniil Gushchin
13.)F Dylan Holloway
14.)RW Brandon Coe
15.)F Jake Neighbours
16.)F Kyle Crnkovic
17.) RD Braden Schneider
18.) C Nick Wong
19.)F Theodor Neiderbach
20.)F Josh Lawrence
21.)RW Adam Raska
22.)F Oliver Suni
23.)F Ty Smilanic
24.)F Tim Stutzle
25.)LD Samuel Knazko
26.)F Jack Finley
27.)C Theo Rochette
28.)RD Rhett Rhinehart
28.)LW Noah Gunler
30.)LD Hugo Styf
31.)RW Seth Jarvis
32??)F Jaromir Pytlik
Idk, I’m really high on Justin Barron I guess, I just really think he’s a smart defenseman who may put up monster numbers in his draft year as he would have played 3 seasons in the Q and has so much time to grow and improve, no doubt in my mind he will be the most mature Dman coming out of this class, unless someone says otherwise.

Where's Christoffer Sedoff, Anton Lundell and Veeti Miettinen on that list?

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
List is Canadian and International centric as well. Missing most top USA players.

For a lot of Canadian viewers it's tough to watch kids playing in international junior and American midget leagues. Most Canadian viewers lists will even out as kids get more exposure at higher levels and international play.

TheWhiskeyThief

Dec 24, 2017
For a lot of Canadian viewers it's tough to watch kids playing in international junior and American midget leagues. Most Canadian viewers lists will even out as kids get more exposure at higher levels and international play.

If you're hardcore, you can subscribe to svenskhockey.tv and watch tons of action down to age 15 and lower, Finnish clubs beyond Ruutu or Fanseat are hit or miss for the jrA clubs.

For USA, Hockey.TV covers almost any league you're looking for.

It would be good to have a forum to aggregate all the places to watch low level streams by league.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
If you're hardcore, you can subscribe to svenskhockey.tv and watch tons of action down to age 15 and lower, Finnish clubs beyond Ruutu or Fanseat are hit or miss for the jrA clubs.

For USA, Hockey.TV covers almost any league you're looking for.

It would be good to have a forum to aggregate all the places to watch low level streams by league.

I've got a HockeyTV sub. Use it more to follow USHL and CJHL teams. I've been told about the Svenskhockey one before but I can't for the life of me navigate that site haha

TheWhiskeyThief

Dec 24, 2017
I've got a HockeyTV sub. Use it more to follow USHL and CJHL teams. I've been told about the Svenskhockey one before but I can't for the life of me navigate that site haha

Just use chrome browser (with translation)and you're good to go. The general navigation is a bit wonky until you learn how to navigate the actual hockey structure.

Using chrome I figured out how to buy Liiga hockey via RUUTU so I have hockey morning noon and night(only gap is end of SHL/DEL games and the start of QMJHL in the maritimes.)

Frannel

Dec 27, 2017
Berlin
If you need someone for translating Swedish into English, send me a PM! ;-)

Hcokeydad64

Aug 24, 2017
I really like Barron as well. Wait until you see Kaiden Guhle though. Kid is going to be a monster. Hell of a skater, great passer, loves to rush the puck, high IQ defencemen in the way he anticipates the play and reacts quickly. Has a boomer of a slap shot and loves to hit. Natural locker room leader from what I've heard. He's 6'2 right now but I've heard he's creeping close to 6'3. Kind of sucks he's stuck on PA though as they seem to be going nowhere as a franchise.

This is interesting. Still I think the list will change much more in the next two years. My kid has played with many on this list and with many that are not on this list. In some cases the missing kids are currently better and appear to have more upside than some of the kids on the current list.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
This is interesting. Still I think the list will change much more in the next two years. My kid has played with many on this list and with many that are not on this list. In some cases the missing kids are currently better and appear to have more upside than some of the kids on the current list.

There will always be risers.

L Carr

Nov 24, 2017
We have already 2 threads about 2019 prospect - here and here. They were born in 2013 and 2014.

So, its time for draft year 2020.

Search function in the prospect section - Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms. %1$s

NO! The 2020 draft is for players born late 2001 and 2002.

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
Its pretty crazy that the 2020 draft prospects is getting more posts than 2019 is. Says a lot about this draft. Byfield seems like your ordinary number 1 oa pick, but then you have 4 more possible generational talents to go along with him in: Rossi, Simontaival, Holtz, and Lafreniere. Delemont and a lot of other defensemen look very promising too. I think the top 10 of this draft class will all be very good nhl players.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Its pretty crazy that the 2020 draft prospects is getting more posts than 2019 is. Says a lot about this draft. Byfield seems like your ordinary number 1 oa pick, but then you have 4 more possible generational talents to go along with him in: Rossi, Simontaival, Holtz, and Lafreniere. Delemont and a lot of other defensemen look very promising too. I think the top 10 of this draft class will all be very good nhl players.

There won't be 4 generational talents in any draft and posting top 10 lists at this point is just silly. It's going to look a lot different in a couple of years and it's impossible to say if this draft will be strong or weak at this point. Throwing names out is always fun but rankings should be taken with a huge grain of salt, nobody has seen them all play.

Seen Holtz and Raymond play many times and they are by no means sure things to become 1st rounders. The only sure thing I've ever seen at that age is McDavid.

Here's a Swedish prospect writer trying to rank the best 98 born Swedish players in their U16 season: Sveriges bästa 98:or - Spring edition - Juniorbloggen No Andersson or Pettersson and Nylander at 9... Looked reasonable at the time.

Last edited:

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
There won't be 4 generational talents in any draft and posting top 10 lists at this point is just silly. It's going to look a lot different in a couple of years and it's impossible to say if this draft will be strong or weak at this point. Throwing names out is always fun but rankings should be taken with a huge grain of salt, nobody has seen them all play.

Seen Holtz and Raymond play many times and they are by no means sure things to become 1st rounders. The only sure thing I've ever seen at that age is McDavid.

Here's a Swedish prospect writer trying to rank the best 98 born Swedish players in their U16 season: Sveriges bästa 98:or - Spring edition - Juniorbloggen No Andersson or Pettersson and Nylander at 9... Looked reasonable at the time.
Holtz is a pretty much guaranteed first rounder, unless he gets injured for the next year and a half theres no way a kid that can score in the super elite league at the age of 16 the way he does isn't going in the first round. He scored a goal at a 0.5 goals per game pace, so I absolutely know he will be a first rounder.

Reactions: Swissregio1967

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Holtz is a pretty much guaranteed first rounder, unless he gets injured for the next year and a half theres no way a kid that can score in the super elite league at the age of 16 the way he does isn't going in the first round. He scored a goal at a 0.5 goals per game pace, so I absolutely know he will be a first rounder.

Doesn't matter how many points he scores at the lower levels. I've seen so many promising players not make it, often due to being very early in their physical development. Holtz is a man compared to his peers, his skating needs improvement and he's also not the smartest player. Maybe he does go in the 1st round in a couple of years but I would not be particularly surprised if other Swedish prospects are well ahead of him by then.

Daneurism

Nov 13, 2010
I think the reason the 2019 draft isn't getting a lot of discussion, is for a few reasons: This forum isn't as active as it used to be, there's fewer scouts who post here, and most of the regular users here don't have live viewings of players further out from the draft process.

I think 2019 looks really good, tons of high quality forwards.

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
Doesn't matter how many points he scores at the lower levels. I've seen so many promising players not make it, often due to being very early in their physical development. Holtz is a man compared to his peers, his skating needs improvement and he's also not the smartest player. Maybe he does go in the 1st round in a couple of years but I would not be particularly surprised if other Swedish prospects are well ahead of him by then.
At lower levels, but when he is adapting to the superelite league like he did, it is very promising. His shot is amazing and I don't think he is all that physically built like some other players are at an early age. He seems like he will improve a lot over the next few years. There are those cases where players score at a high point per game at an earlier age and in a lower league, but this isn't one of those cases I can promise you that

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
At lower levels, but when he is adapting to the superelite league like he did, it is very promising. His shot is amazing and I don't think he is all that physically built like some other players are at an early age. He seems like he will improve a lot over the next few years. There are those cases where players score at a high point per game at an earlier age and in a lower league, but this isn't one of those cases I can promise you that

I wouldn't make any promises. There is an archive of kids from Canada who blew up lower leagues that went on to do nothing by their draft year. Nothing is a guarantee.

Reactions: kabidjan18

TheWhiskeyThief

Dec 24, 2017

Except he's also produced in J20 when he's played there. As for comments above about Holtz not being the smartest player, the games I've seen of him he plays a very simple(but effective) game, but that's what works at the next level and the levels above. He's not blowing by or through defenders, but by creating space and using his skills to set up or score.

OldScool

Nov 27, 2007
Very difficult to draw comparisons of 2020 eligible players since some are playing against kids their own birth years (Byfield, etc.) and some kids are playing with kids 2, 3, 4 or even 5 years older (prep hockey). Once they all start playing at the same ages then it will become clearer.

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017

Agreed, Lafreniere might be a McDavid level(I’m suspecting he will be Matthews/ Eichel territory) prospect in his draft year but that’s still up to how he develops(thus far he is in McDavid territory as a D -3 Prospect). I think Byfield will be more of a Seguin type name while Holtz will have Yakupov type noise and go 2nd(because of the Goal scoring hype).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad