2020 NHL Draft Prospects

ijuka

May 14, 2016
I think Suni is the number 1 Finn for this draft.
Well... Uh, how? I just can't agree with this at all.

His B-junior scoring hasn't even been that special. And someone got invited to the u17 international games and won the scoring title there - One did not(And finished 13th in scoring at u16s).

If Oliver Suni is really the best Finland has the draft will be pretty dire.

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
authockeytxreports.wordpress.com
This is cursory at best, but a fun exercise.
1. Alexis Lafreniere
2. Quinton Byfield
3. Dylan Peterson
4. Alexander Holtz
5. Kaiden Guhle
6. Dylan Holloway
7. Noel Gunler
8. Braden Schneider
9. Oliver Suni
10. Jack Finley
11. Brandon Coe
12. Jaromir Pytlik
13. Luke Prokop
14. Joel Maatta
15. Hugo Styf
16. Andrei Bakanov
17. Daemon Hunt
18. Ty Smilanic
19. Ivan Zivlak
20. Justin Barron
21. Christoffer Sedoff
22. Luke Tuch
23. Adam Raska
24. Noah Boyko
25. Ruben Rafkin

Damn it, forgot Marco Rossi, you can slot him above Gunler.

Last edited:
Reactions: Stive Morgan

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Can Someone possibly give a full rankings of the 2020 Draft right now, just to scope out?

1. Alexis Lafreniere - LW/C
2. Quinton Byfield - C
3. Kaiden Guhle - LD
4. Alexander Holtz - W
5. Dylan Peterson - C
6. Marco Rossi - C
7. Connor McLennon - W
8. Kasper Simontaival - W
9. Kyle Crnkovic - LW
10. Jake Neighbours - LW
11. Dylan Holloway - LW
12. Ty Smilanic - C
13. Noah Delemont - RD
14. Seth Jarvis - RW
15. Adam Raska - W
16. Nick Wong - C
17. Noah Gunler - W
18. Nic Robertson - C
19. Rhett Rhinehart - RD
20. Cole Perfetti - LW/C
21. Theodor Neiderbach - RW
22. Justin Sourdif - W
23. Justin Barron - RD
24. Braden Schneider - RD
25. Brandon Coe - RW
26. Daemon Hunt - LD
27. Luke Tuch - C
28. Ethan Bowen - C
29. Jack Finlay - C
30. Jaromir Pytlik - LW
31 - Tim Stutzle - LW

Last edited:

JiggsNY

Sep 14, 2016
New York
i know these lists are way early, but it looks like a lot of talent coming out of Wesrtern Canada, especially AB. Guhle, McLennon, Crnkovic, Neighbours, Holloway, Jarvis, Rhinehart, Schneider, Sourdif, Hunt, Bowen, Finley, and Boyko all from out West. Ontario and Quebec have the elite standouts of Lafreniere and Byflied, kind of Peterson, but this could be a great draft for those provinces if things hold out

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
2. Quinton Byfield - C
3. Dylan Peterson - C
4. Alexander Holtz - W
5. Kaiden Guhle - LD
6. Marco Rossi - C
7. Connor McLennon - W
9. Kyle Crnkovic - LW
10. Jake Neighbours - LW
11. Dylan Holloway - LW
12. Ty Smilanic - C
13. Noah Delemont - RD
14. Seth Jarvis - RW
15. Adam Raska - W
16. Nick Wong - C
17. Noah Gunler - W
18. Nic Robertson - C
19. Rhett Rhinehart - RD
20. Cole Perfetti - LW/C
22. Justin Sourdif - W
23. Justin Barron - RD
25. Brandon Coe - RW
26. Daemon Hunt - LD
27. Luke Tuch - C
28. Ethan Bowen - C
29. Jack Finlay - C
30. Jaromir Pytlik - LW
31 - Tim Stutzle - LW
How is dylan peterson higher than Holtz? Holtz might be good enough to play in the swedish hockey league next season.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
How is dylan peterson higher than Holtz? Holtz might be good enough to play in the swedish hockey league next season.

To be honest I just copied the first few guys from the other list and went from there. I actually have Guhle as #3 after Lafrieniere and Byfield and Holtz at 4 above Peterson whose at 5. Changed the original post I made to reflect that.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
i know these lists are way early, but it looks like a lot of talent coming out of Wesrtern Canada, especially AB. Guhle, McLennon, Crnkovic, Neighbours, Holloway, Jarvis, Rhinehart, Schneider, Sourdif, Hunt, Bowen, Finley, and Boyko all from out West. Ontario and Quebec have the elite standouts of Lafreniere and Byflied, kind of Peterson, but this could be a great draft for those provinces if things hold out

AB is really creating a lot of talent lately. Krebs, Dach and Byram for 2019 are also from Alberta. As well as potential 2022 draft phenom Matthew Savoie. The CSSHL is really paying off for them and BC.

jnk96

Feb 25, 2013
At the rink.
2. Quinton Byfield - C
3. Kaiden Guhle - LD
4. Alexander Holtz - W
5. Dylan Peterson - C
6. Marco Rossi - C
7. Connor McLennon - W
9. Kyle Crnkovic - LW
10. Jake Neighbours - LW
11. Dylan Holloway - LW
12. Ty Smilanic - C
13. Noah Delemont - RD
14. Seth Jarvis - RW
15. Adam Raska - W
16. Nick Wong - C
17. Noah Gunler - W
18. Nic Robertson - C
19. Rhett Rhinehart - RD
20. Cole Perfetti - LW/C
22. Justin Sourdif - W
23. Justin Barron - RD
25. Brandon Coe - RW
26. Daemon Hunt - LD
27. Luke Tuch - C
28. Ethan Bowen - C
29. Jack Finlay - C
30. Jaromir Pytlik - LW
31 - Tim Stutzle - LW
Stützle has the potential to go very, very high in this draft. Kid’s incredibly skilled. Also a centre who was moved to the wing in the DNL – less responsibility for a 15-year-old playing U19 – but might be moved back soon. I do like him as a scoring winger, though, so we’ll see.

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
authockeytxreports.wordpress.com
That's not a strong argument. In 2015-16, 8 U17s played in the SHL, none of them got drafted in the top 3. The year before, 2 did and one went undrafted, another in round 4. Or the two the year before. Or even for the year before, I don't think any redrafts would argue Jakub Vrana should have gone top 3. Playing next season in the SHL isn't in itself special, he has to do something special with that.

The last time I saw Holtz was last year twice at the J18 level. It didn't really help that the guy I was there to scout told me before the first game "today I play the best 02 born in the world." He was alright, I could see the hype but I don't personally buy it myself yet, as a top winger and prospect in general for sure but top 3...

Peterson has everything you'd want to see in a 1C. We've still a long way to go but if you're going to ask me if I want a 6'3" player with all the tools to become a 1C or (fill in the blank with anything else), you should be able to anticipate the answer.

MasterMatt25

Nov 19, 2014
Montreal
Can Someone possibly give a full rankings of the 2020 Draft right now, just to scope out?
1. Alexis Lafrieniere
2. Quinton Byfield
3. Alexander Holtz
4. Dylan Peterson
5. Kasper Simontaival
6. Kaiden Guhle
7. Marco Rossi
8. Noah Delemont
9. Lucas Raymond
10. Connor McClennon
11. Daniil Gushchin
12. Dylan Holloway
13. Brandon Coe
14. Jake Neighbours
15. Kyle Crnkovic
16. Ty Smilanic
17. Luke Tuch
18. Ethan Bowen
19. Jack Finley
20. Josh Lawrence
21. Noel Gunler
22. Oliver Suni
23. Braden Schneider
24. Theodor Niederbach
25. Tim Stutzle
26. Jaromir Pytlik
27. Justin Barron
28. Rhett Rhinehart
29. Adam Raska
30. Seth Jarvis
31. Hugo Styf

This is a very rough estimate.

Last edited:

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Don't know if I see Noel Gunler as a 1st round pick. Three guys I'm interested in seeing develop however are Theodor Niederbach, Hugo Styf and Ivan Zivlak. All three were very impressive at TV-pucken and are producing well. Will be interesting to see Niederbach at Frölunda next year.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Thanks for the lists but they do seem light on Russian, Q and potential USNTDP kids. Lack of exposure?

Gushchin ties for third in goals at the WHC U-17 as the youngest non-goalie in the entire tournament. He’s not big but at 5’-8” / 154 he’s not any smaller at age 15 than lots of the names listed.

Likewise seems like the Q insiders say Josh Lawrence would be a shoe-in for top pick in the upcoming Q draft if he weren’t committed to BU and at now 5’-9” / 165 he’s been hitting quite a growth spurt. Even outside of him, this is supposed to be a good draft for the league.

Plenty of good 2002’s in the USA outside of Smilanic and Tuch (and of course Petersen if he heads that way) as well plus you have late 01’s like Sean Farrell already being impact players for USNTDP.

I get that the WHL crop is outstanding for this draft but would be shocked to see a first round with such high ratios plus no Russians at all.

TheWhiskeyThief

Dec 24, 2017
Alexander Holtza name to watch. Over 2ppg for Djurgarden J18 as a 3rd liner, just shy of 1ppg for J20. I doubt he gets a game this year for the big club, but next year is a possibility.

Zero dangle in his game, plays so direct but always makes the right play. His current stick is super stiff: give him something a little more whippy and he might start scoring like Laine.

Ovechkin962

Aug 25, 2010
Guys like Thomas Bordeleau, Patrick Guay, Hendrix Lapierre, Jeremie Poirier, William Villeneuve from the Q and Jamie Drysdale from the OHL should be high picks in their respective junior league drafts. Let see how they pan out in the future.

I would throw in Connor Zary, a late 2001 playing with the Kamloops Blazers in the WHL right now.

Anton Lundell from Finland is also a late 2001 who had a great U17 tournament as well as having a great season.

Reactions: 99664987

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Thanks for the lists but they do seem light on Russian, Q and potential USNTDP kids. Lack of exposure?

Gushchin ties for third in goals at the WHC U-17 as the youngest non-goalie in the entire tournament. He’s not big but at 5’-8” / 154 he’s not any smaller at age 15 than lots of the names listed.

Likewise seems like the Q insiders say Josh Lawrence would be a shoe-in for top pick in the upcoming Q draft if he weren’t committed to BU and at now 5’-9” / 165 he’s been hitting quite a growth spurt. Even outside of him, this is supposed to be a good draft for the league.

Plenty of good 2002’s in the USA outside of Smilanic and Tuch (and of course Petersen if he heads that way) as well plus you have late 01’s like Sean Farrell already being impact players for USNTDP.

I get that the WHL crop is outstanding for this draft but would be shocked to see a first round with such high ratios plus no Russians at all.

I live in the WHL region so my early lists will pretty much always be pretty WHL heavy. Russian players are usually the ones I have the least amount of views on unless they are playing over here.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
I live in the WHL region so my early lists will pretty much always be pretty WHL heavy. Russian players are usually the ones I have the least amount of views on unless they are playing over here.

Sure. Love your prospect insights just wanted to clarify that with your list, you mean guys you’ve watched extensively which makes sense. I’m sure it’s way early for most to have seen a lot of all these guys from all world regions! Thanks!

Reactions: Daximus

Eugene85

Jan 25, 2010
Russia
Two names for this draft from Russia: Vasili Ponomaryov(hyped more) and Daniil Guschin(hyped less but not that less)). Both of them are forwards, play on the same line in NT 2002 and score nearly all the goals. Guschin plays also for NT 2001 and is one of its leaders as for points. Ponomaryov has good skating and a lethal tarasenkoesque wrist shot.

Mortimer Smith

Jan 8, 2018
1.)C Alexis Lafreniere
2.)C Quinton Byfield
3.)RW Alex Holtz
4.)C Dylan Peterson
5.)RD Justin Barron
6.)F Kasper Simontaival
7.)LD Kaiden Guhle
8.)RW Lucas Raymond
9 .)C Marco Rossi
10.)F Connor McLennon
11.)RD Noah Delemont
12.)F Daniil Gushchin
13.)F Dylan Holloway
14.)RW Brandon Coe
15.)F Jake Neighbours
16.)F Kyle Crnkovic
17.) RD Braden Schneider
18.) C Nick Wong
19.)F Theodor Neiderbach
20.)F Josh Lawrence
21.)RW Adam Raska
22.)F Oliver Suni
23.)F Ty Smilanic
24.)F Tim Stutzle
25.)LD Samuel Knazko
26.)F Jack Finley
27.)C Theo Rochette
28.)RD Rhett Rhinehart
28.)LW Noah Gunler
30.)LD Hugo Styf
31.)RW Seth Jarvis
32??)F Jaromir Pytlik
Idk, I’m really high on Justin Barron I guess, I just really think he’s a smart defenseman who may put up monster numbers in his draft year as he would have played 3 seasons in the Q and has so much time to grow and improve, no doubt in my mind he will be the most mature Dman coming out of this class, unless someone says otherwise.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
1.)C Alexis Lafreniere
2.)C Quinton Byfield
3.)RW Alex Holtz
4.)C Dylan Peterson
5.)RD Justin Barron
6.)F Kasper Simontaival
7.)LD Kaiden Guhle
8.)RW Lucas Raymond
9 .)C Marco Rossi
10.)F Connor McLennon
11.)RD Noah Delemont
12.)F Daniil Gushchin
13.)F Dylan Holloway
14.)RW Brandon Coe
15.)F Jake Neighbours
16.)F Kyle Crnkovic
17.) RD Braden Schneider
18.) C Nick Wong
19.)F Theodor Neiderbach
20.)F Josh Lawrence
21.)RW Adam Raska
22.)F Oliver Suni
23.)F Ty Smilanic
24.)F Tim Stutzle
25.)LD Samuel Knazko
26.)F Jack Finley
27.)C Theo Rochette
28.)RD Rhett Rhinehart
28.)LW Noah Gunler
30.)LD Hugo Styf
31.)RW Seth Jarvis
32??)F Jaromir Pytlik
Idk, I’m really high on Justin Barron I guess, I just really think he’s a smart defenseman who may put up monster numbers in his draft year as he would have played 3 seasons in the Q and has so much time to grow and improve, no doubt in my mind he will be the most mature Dman coming out of this class, unless someone says otherwise.

I really like Barron as well. Wait until you see Kaiden Guhle though. Kid is going to be a monster. Hell of a skater, great passer, loves to rush the puck, high IQ defencemen in the way he anticipates the play and reacts quickly. Has a boomer of a slap shot and loves to hit. Natural locker room leader from what I've heard. He's 6'2 right now but I've heard he's creeping close to 6'3. Kind of sucks he's stuck on PA though as they seem to be going nowhere as a franchise.

Reactions: 99664987

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad