Prospect Info: 2020 NHL Draft - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
Why is everyone coming up with worst case scenarios all the time? Who’s to say we don’t win the lottery and pick in the top #3 while the Habs and Hawks win their qualifying round and the Yotes lose theirs, dropping their pick to 8th overall?

Both scenarios are just as likely. A hot goalie like Price can win that series on his own and it’s not like we haven’t seen it happen before. As for the Oilers they can continue to be the Oilers and suck when it matters the most versus two guys who have playoff experience in Toews and Kane.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
It’s very frustrating not having a clue where we will pick in the draft.
What could really suck and is somewhat depressing if it happened - we slide down any spots with our pick , Coyotes pick slides , Vancouver pick moves to next year , and we have to wait until January 2021 for Devils regular season hockey.....
It would be less painful waiting that long if we knew we had Lafrenier on the team.
I’m done caring about winning the lottery. The first pick is nowhere near a guarantee of getting the best player and I don’t want to be viewed as the Oilers East. Stützle, Rossi, Drysdale, etc. could be the Pettersson or Makar of this draft, who knows?

Reactions: Taylors lost step

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
Why is everyone coming up with worst case scenarios all the time? Who’s to say we don’t win the lottery and pick in the top #3 while the Habs and Hawks win their qualifying round and the Yotes lose theirs, dropping their pick to 8th overall?

Both scenarios are just as likely. A hot goalie like Price can win that series on his own and it’s not like we haven’t seen it happen before. As for the Oilers they can continue to be the Oilers and suck when it matters the most versus two guys who have playoff experience in Toews and Kane.

From a purely mathematical perspective alone, both scenarios are not remotely close to “just as likely.”

The Devils have about a 23% chance to get a top 3 pick. They have a 60.4% chance of sliding back from #6.

Montreal has a 37% chance to win their play in series and Chicago has a 47% chance to win their play in series.

So the ideal scenario is actually incredibly unlikely.

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
I’m done caring about winning the lottery. The first pick is nowhere near a guarantee of getting the best player and I don’t want to be viewed as the Oilers East. Stützle, Rossi, Drysdale, etc. could be the Pettersson or Makar of this draft, who knows?

I'm with you for the most part, but Lafreniere obviously seems pretty exciting. Jumping up to the 2nd or 3rd pick would be cool, but I'm not as concerned there as it seems there is a group of several players that are pretty interchangeable. Byfield looks to be favorite to go #2, but it isn't unanimous. #3 seems to be a complete crapshoot. We are getting someone good no matter where we're picking.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
I'm with you for the most part, but Lafreniere obviously seems pretty exciting. Jumping up to the 2nd or 3rd pick would be cool, but I'm not as concerned there as it seems there is a group of several players that are pretty interchangeable. Byfield looks to be favorite to go #2, but it isn't unanimous. #3 seems to be a complete crapshoot. We are getting someone good no matter where we're picking.

It seems that for a lot of people pick 3 will be closer to pick 9 in terms of potential than pick 1 is to pick 3.

So I’m in agreement, the Devils are in a good spot with their pick no matter what but there is the potential of getting lucky and jumping to spot 1 or 2.

I’ll happily jump up to #1 in return for other fanbases complaining.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Moving up would be great, but moving down is objectively bad. You have fewer players to choose from.

Perhaps Rossi end up being the best player in this draft, and our scouts are smart enough to have him #1 on their board. Great, but *he still needs to be there at our pick* in order for us to take him. Every pick that occurs in front of us decreases the chances of us getting the player we want.

In 2015 Arizona finished in 29th place. They *should* have gotten Jack Eichel at #2. But Edmonton won the lottery and bumped them to #3 where they picked Dylan Strome. That was enormously consequential to the trajectory of that franchise. Imagine if Edmonton didn't get bumped 2 spots in 2016 and drafted Laine instead of Puljujarvi.

Of course, the best player of the draft could end up being not the #1 pick. But the lower your pick slides, the less players you have to choose from.

We're going to get a good player regardless. We don't need to move up, though it would be nice. Moving down unquestionably hurts.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Moving up would be great, but moving down is objectively bad. You have fewer players to choose from.

Perhaps Rossi end up being the best player in this draft, and our scouts are smart enough to have him #1 on their board. Great, but *he still needs to be there at our pick* in order for us to take him. Every pick that occurs in front of us decreases the chances of us getting the player we want.

In 2015 Arizona finished in 29th place. They *should* have gotten Jack Eichel at #2. But Edmonton won the lottery and bumped them to #3 where they picked Dylan Strome. That was enormously consequential to the trajectory of that franchise. Imagine if Edmonton didn't get bumped 2 spots in 2016 and drafted Laine instead of Puljujarvi.

Of course, the best player of the draft could end up being not the #1 pick. But the lower your pick slides, the less players you have to choose from.

We're going to get a good player regardless. We don't need to move up, though it would be nice. Moving down unquestionably hurts.

I think it all just depends on how your internal scouting staff ranks the draft. Where the drop off is, where the guys that you covet are, etc. You may not see much of a difference from #10 to #15 if you think there's very little separating #8 from #21 for example.

At this point for the Devils, trading back makes little sense because we need quality and not quantity.

Reactions: My3Sons

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ

Yep. I'd rather hedge and give up any possibility of moving up if it meant staying put where they are right now. Obviously not an option though.

Reactions: The Great Santini

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
The Devils got absolutely hosed by this format probably more than any other team, no two ways around it. Only in a borderline best case scenario (other than winning the lottery) will they wind up with what would have been likely if the season played out (#6, #10 and #17).

Now (1) there’s a good chance they get jumped and their pick pushed back, (2) Arizona was dead in the water and now just has to win 3 games against John Hynes to move into a playoff spot and (3) a shaky Vancouver team who was likely one and done in the playoffs will now keep their pick if they lose to Minnesota.

There’s no more chance of 1 happening now than there was before. As far as 2 and 3, let us say one or both picks do get deferred....how do you know next year’s pick wouldn’t be in the same range or better anyway? It’s useless to hand wring over possibly not getting a pick this year if you have a decent shot (especially in Arizona’s case) of getting an unprotected lottery pick next year. It’s not like we’re losing a first rounder period.

Reactions: ChicksDigTheTrap

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
From a purely mathematical perspective alone, both scenarios are not remotely close to “just as likely.”

The Devils have about a 23% chance to get a top 3 pick. They have a 60.4% chance of sliding back from #6.

Montreal has a 37% chance to win their play in series and Chicago has a 47% chance to win their play in series.

So the ideal scenario is actually incredibly unlikely.

While it's easy to handle stats for a lottery, I'm not sure you can quantify an actual chance to win a playoff/play in series. Maybe those are gambling odds, and sure it's easy to say you favor one team or the other but presenting the specific percentage chance of one team winning is just an opinion. Right now, we don't know who shows up ready to play and who spent the entire off time playing fortnite.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
I think it all just depends on how your internal scouting staff ranks the draft. Where the drop off is, where the guys that you covet are, etc. You may not see much of a difference from #10 to #15 if you think there's very little separating #8 from #21 for example.

At this point for the Devils, trading back makes little sense because we need quality and not quantity.
I agree with this completely, wherever our first(s) end up being you take the BPA and smile.

Reactions: My3Sons

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
It would be nice to win the lotto again but we are turning into the low key one of laughing stocks of the league. We haven't quite hit rock bottom as hard as teams like Ottawa Buffalo etc but we haven't been a really good hockey team in 8 years now. We whiffed a little bit in the 2017 draft by taking Nico and not Petersson , Makar or Heiskanen. Thank God we didnt take Patrick and I love Hischier too. It's still to early to judge Hughes , personally I think he is going to be an elite offensive talent so on not to worried about him. Regardless we need draft some good players of we are picking at 6 ,10 , 20 or wherever the picks fall too. This is the only way we are going to ever be a cup contender again. Enough duds more studs please.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Sounds to me like we should forget the draft and next season since all hope is lost anyway.

Last edited:

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
It would be nice to win the lotto again but we are turning into the low key one of laughing stocks of the league. We haven't quite hit rock bottom as hard as teams like Ottawa Buffalo etc but we haven't been a really good hockey team in 8 years now. We whiffed a little bit in the 2017 draft by taking Nico and not Petersson , Makar or Heiskanen. Thank God we didnt take Patrick and I love Hischier too. It's still to early to judge Hughes , personally I think he is going to be an elite offensive talent so on not to worried about him. Regardless we need draft some good players of we are picking at 6 ,10 , 20 or wherever the picks fall too. This is the only way we are going to ever be a cup contender again. Enough duds more studs please.

oh please, get out of here with this.

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
oh please, get out of here with this.
I mean if it doesnt bother you that we could of had a pick between 2 future Norris caliber defensemen or a center who has nearly hit a ppg 2 seasons in a row and instead winded up with a player who will probably top out at 60 points (although he is excellent defensively). I love Nicos game and I am glad he is going to be the future of this team. It could have been alot worse if we had taken Patrick but some of you guys will defend the organizations blunders and than wonder why we have bee spinning tires for so long. I get that Nico wasnt a reach or anything but our scouting staff could have done better. It's a hard to swallow pill for some of you. That being said Hischier is going to be a star for us and likely our next captain. I'm still thrilled for him to be a Devil for a long time.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
I mean if it doesnt bother you that we could of had a pick between 2 future Norris caliber defensemen or a center who has nearly hit a ppg 2 seasons in a row and instead winded up with a player who will probably top out at 60 points (although he is excellent defensively). I love Nicos game and I am glad he is going to be the future of this team. It could have been alot worse if we had taken Patrick but some of you guys will defend the organizations blunders and than wonder why we have bee spinning tires for so long. I get that Nico wasnt a reach or anything but our scouting staff could have done better. It's a hard to swallow pill for some of you. That being said Hischier is going to be a star for us and likely our next captain. I'm still thrilled for him to be a Devil for a long time.

lmao drafting Nico was not even close to a blunder. Drafting is still a crapshoot, of course if you have the foresight to know certain players are going to end up better you'd take them but no one does. At the time it was either Nico or Nolan at #1, that's it. No one else. If someone else turns out to be better so be it, doesn't mean picking Nico was wrong it means no one can predict the future.

Reactions: glenwo2 and My3Sons

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
The problem with this is that draft was a two man race. Hindsight allows you to look at it differently but at the time it was Nolan or Nico.

Reactions: glenwo2 and My3Sons

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
i'd argue that if you put petterson on our team, he would've suffered point totals wise

Devilsfan118

Sing us a song, you're the Schiano man
Jun 11, 2010
NJ

Full disclosure, I absolutely wish we had one of Pettersson/Makar/Heiskanen instead of Nico right now but you can't pretend we didn't make the right move in the position we were in.

We were all witness to the "Nico vs. Nolan" debate. Taking Nico was the right move at the time.

Reactions: glenwo2
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad