Prospect Info: 2020 NHL Draft Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
Also, to alleviate some worries, pronman specifically said that Anaheim has been hard to get a read on.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Pronman has a lot of sources, he is a pretty plugged in draft guy.

I think he’s plugged in in terms of prospect knowledge and scouts opinions of prospects but highly doubt he has sources inside our org, who are incredibly tight lipped about anything relating to the draft.

Although I can see that you’ve acknowledged that he said they’re hard to get a read on in your next post. And I’ve just gone and found the comment and it sounds like pure speculation that we could lean that way based off need which we know Murray and Madden tend not to draft on.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
I don't care who we pick ultimately, because I trust our scouts to make the right one.

Do you trust them equally when picking forwards vs dmen though? I trust them 100% on any dman they take. I don't trust them anywhere near as much if they reach for a forward, our hit rate for forwards in the first two rounds is 50-60% where as for dmen it's probably closer to 90%.

Reactions: Duck Off

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
I think Raymond would be on a similar schedule as Zegras is/was

From all the scouting reports I've encountered, Raymond is on a longer schedule to reach the NHL. His struggle this year against men's league has scouts thinking a longer projection, but if he hits his full potential, could be the steal of the draft. Raymond was ranked #2 by Central Scouting EU at mid-season. In the last installment of Central Scouting EU, Raymond dropped to #4 with Holtz moving to #2 and Lundell to #3.

A big hurdle for Raymond is adding mass. In a recent HockeyNews video on YouTube (not to be confused with "the Hockey News"), Raymond and coaches are happy with his mass building. What we don't know is where that projection is now because they might be seeing the development over a few years as opposed to significant jump in one off-season.

GiveYouABagOfPucks

Jan 29, 2015
Do you trust them equally when picking forwards vs dmen though? I trust them 100% on any dman they take. I don't trust them anywhere near as much if they reach for a forward, our hit rate for forwards in the first two rounds is 50-60% where as for dmen it's probably closer to 90%.

Hopefully we hit on a forward this year with #6 and Madden hits on a D man for us again with the Boston pick or early second.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Yes I do, only forward picks I feel we really missed on in the last decade are Etem, Ritchie (even this is debatable, looking at past 10th overalls he's in the upper tier of them), Morand, and Kerdiles

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
Yes I do, only forward picks I feel we really missed on in the last decade are Etem, Ritchie (even this is debatable, looking at past 10th overalls he's in the upper tier of them), Morand, and Kerdiles

I think its an open question. One factor is its harder to find an elite forward when you're drafting at the end of the first round (which is where the ducks have picked for the most part). Much easier to find a developmental defenseman at that point.

It will be interesting to see how last year's pick of Tracey looks in a few years. A lot of projection there and seemingly a limited ceiling. They could have had other guys like Kaliyev who had more risk and more upside. That's what I would have done.

Reactions: Dmang714

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
I think its an open question. One factor is its harder to find an elite forward when you're drafting at the end of the first round (which is where the ducks have picked for the most part). Much easier to find a developmental defenseman at that point.

It will be interesting to see how last year's pick of Tracey looks in a few years. A lot of projection there and seemingly a limited ceiling. They could have had other guys like Kaliyev who had more risk and more upside. That's what I would have done.
Disagree, Tracey was very much a boom/bust player

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Palmieri and Steel are the only below 6'0 tall 1st round picks the Ducks have made in the Bobby Murray era and both were drafted late in the first round.
Both of them are 5'11. No forward below 5'11 has been drafted by Murray in the first round. Zegras at 6'0 is the shortest forward they've drafted in the top 10 in Murray era.
This definitely plays a role in why some seem to think the Ducks are gonna draft Holtz or Drysdale, neither are below 5'11
The 5'9 forwards in the draft: Rossi & Jarvis
The 5'10: Raymond, Perfetti
The 5'11: Stutzle, Quinn
6'0: Holtz

Reactions: Dmang714

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal

We're picking 6th overall. Madden said he liked 12 prospects. We're bound to get a good prospect. This year, we're in a better position than last year, but were quite lucky Zegras dropped to us. We were also one pick away from drafting Krebs in a potential trade up last year.

If we grab a forward, then cool. I dunno why we should be afraid to draft forwards because we're gonna needs some to pan out. If we grab a defenseman, then also cool. We can continue that trend of trading defensemen for known offensive forwards. LoL If we grab G Askarov, then call me stunned. hahahhahahahaha

Last year, GM Bob was looking for a center with the #9 pick. This year, he wants to add scoring in the draft. Mind you, he didn't specify where he would grab that scoring. It's not really a secret we need goal scoring, but the mass media overlooks us looking for goal scoring.

Reactions: DuckRogers10

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Palmieri and Steel are the only below 6'0 tall 1st round picks the Ducks have made in the Bobby Murray era and both were drafted late in the first round.
Both of them are 5'11. No forward below 5'11 has been drafted by Murray in the first round. Zegras at 6'0 is the shortest forward they've drafted in the top 10 in Murray era.
This definitely plays a role in why some seem to think the Ducks are gonna draft Holtz or Drysdale, neither are below 5'11
The 5'9 forwards in the draft: Rossi & Jarvis
The 5'10: Raymond, Perfetti
The 5'11: Stutzle, Quinn
6'0: Holtz

To be fair, we've only had two top-10 forward picks under GM Murray: 10th with Ritchie and 9th with Zegras. It's a very small sample.

Rasp

Apr 9, 2019
I have a feeling its Rossi. We wanted Krebs last year and he said that he likes C because they can always go to a wing if it doesnt work out. Also there was an article where Rossi said we were keen, as well as Ottawa.

If you want a good C you generally have to draft them high. The only C we would get is Rossi unless we reach.

Son of Gib

Nov 14, 2017
Los Angeles
I have a feeling its Rossi. We wanted Krebs last year and he said that he likes C because they can always go to a wing if it doesnt work out. Also there was an article where Rossi said we were keen, as well as Ottawa.

If you want a good C you generally have to draft them high. The only C we would get is Rossi unless we reach.
Which article?

Reactions: GibsonIsGod666

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
He says Holtz with Drysdale as backup but also says we have been really quiet

KickHisAssZegrass

Sponsor
Nov 18, 2005
Portland, OR
If it goes Laf/By/Stutz/Perfetti/Raymond

So Rossi the highest ranked forward left... some believe Rossi will be a #1C but I wouldnt bet on it at 6. IMO Ducks will have him behind Sanderson and maybe even behind Holtz and Drysdale.

One trend you can find in almost every Ducks draft is they like guys that are trending up in their development. Sanderson was already an elite skating/defending prospect but by the end of the season he really started to find ways to dominate in the offensive zone. Just a really high IQ player in all zones, does everything so naturally. He'd make a great defensive anchor to what would probably be the best American prospect pool in the league

Anyway Jake is who I'd bet on the Ducks taking, also quite confident the Ducks wanted Seider to fall to 9 last season as well.

Last edited:

robbieboy3686

Jan 17, 2016

Ding ding ding

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Anyway Jake is who I'd bet on the Ducks taking, also quite confident the Ducks wanted Seider to fall to 9 last season as well.

From the OCregister, Ducks focusing on center with the No. 9 pick in the NHL draft: GM Bob Murray would like to bolster the position rather than take a defenseman with the first of two first-round picks: (This was published on June 20, 2019, a day before the draft.)

“We need more centers,” Murray said, addressing his primary need in the first round. “You’re never wrong with centers because centers can always play the wing. Wingers can’t play center. It’s just the way it is. So you get centers who can play the wing.”​

“We’re hoping some guys will go before some other guys,” Murray said of landing a center who is capable of challenging for ice time next season. “We’re hoping for some breaks in there. We’re hoping two defensemen go in the first eight. That would help us tremendously.​

“If everyone (on the Ducks’ wish list) is gone, I could move back and get a bunch of other things. We believe in some people later. At nine, if any one of three guys is there we’re going with them. I need somebody to jump in there (in the Ducks’ lineup next season).”​

“I think it’ll be a forward,” Murray said of his top pick. “I’m hoping for a forward, a center, but some of these kids are centers and wingers. Some of them, again, they all prefer center. But at the end of the year, at 18, they end up playing the wing. They’re talented. This is a talented group.”​

There were 5 centers drafted in 2019 NHL draft when the Ducks took Zegras at 9th overall: 1st Hughes, 3rd Dach, 5th Turcotte, 7th Cozens, and Zegras. I think (just my opinion) the Ducks probably thought Dach, Turcotte, or Cozens might be there at 9th overall, but not Hughes or Zegras. Three defensemen went into the top-8: 4th Byram, 6th Seider, and 8th Broberg. Disclosure, I was high on Broberg until I heard Edmonton wanted him.

Reactions: Rasp

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Its unlikely the Ducks will pick the smallest man in the 1st round given their history with Forwards. Maybe a small guy who's only 5'10 or 5'11 like Perfetti but a 5'9 center like Rossi sounds like someone the Ducks wouldn't believe lasts at Center at all.

How many 5'9 top line centers is there in the league ? & how many 5'9 top6 centers have mediocre average speed ? Chances are Rossi will move to the wing where he could be a top line skilled winger.

There is also questions about his shooting consistency, some games its a muffin shot like fowler and other games he has a decent wrist shot.
Tankathon seems to think Rossi falls to #8.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad