Prospect Info: 2020 NHL Draft Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 18, 2011
Let’s find out I volunteer as the sacrificial lamb to test said theory
The way HF values things vs NHL teams speaks for itself. I think a team like Buffalo who has spent alot of years drafting high wants to start winning games and I can totally see them trading the pick for proven talent .

I'm not holding my breath on a bold move from Bob Murray but he needs to find ways to accelerate the rebuild rather than holding onto players who he's going to have to pay or trade anyways.

Reactions: GibsonIsGod666

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
The way HF values things vs NHL teams speaks for itself. I think a team like Buffalo who has spent alot of years drafting high wants to start winning games and I can totally see them trading the pick for proven talent .

I'm not holding my breath on a bold move from Bob Murray but he needs to find ways to accelerate the rebuild rather than holding onto players who he's going to have to pay or trade anyways.

Trading for proven talent is costly. We did that to acquire C Kelser and F Eaves. Unfortunately, both players couldn't finish out their contracts to due serious injuries that ended their careers. I like the trade deadline acquisitions of D Djoos, F Heinen, and F Milano. I intrigued with the FA acquisition of D Curran from across the pond. Then we signed Zegras out of college because... Zegras.

It's our defense rebuild that I am excited about it, which Bob isn't getting credit for creating.

2019 Starting D
Lindholm-Manson
Guhle-Fowler
Larsson-Holzer
MDZ​

2020 Starting D (potentially)
Lindholm-Manson
Fowler-Gudbranson
Djoos-Curran

Hakanpaa​

That's essentially trading for veterans in place of unproven prospects. That's a plus, isn't it?

We know Gudz and Djoos have played well within our system. Curran is a scoring threat from across the pond. Hakanpaa is a tall, physical, stay-at-home RHD. We have far better depth going into 2020 than we did going into 2019 with our defense. And Fowler gets to stay on the left side! Why are we expected to make a bold move that will prove costly to us when we're still in a transition/rebuild phase? Gudz and Djoos are a far better upgrade to Guhle-Larsson. Then tack on #2 SHL scorer with Curran onto our anemic PP unit and who knows what can happen.

Murray isn't afraid of big trades (see Kesler, Eaves) when the rest of his roster is capable to absorb a bold trade. Murray is a tinkerer, though, and believes his team can make the playoffs, year in and year out.

We've been trading assets to acquire a second first round pick since 2016. G Andersen trade netted us 2016 1st (C Steel) and 2017 2nd (F Comtois). D Montour trade returned prospect D Guhle and 2019 1st (LW Tracey). F Kase trade returned C Backes (salary dump), prospect RHD Andersson, and 2020 1st (TBD). Murray was close to pulling a trigger last year to land C Peyton Krebs with Dallas at pick 18, but he was selected before at pick 17 by Vegas. (Boo!) If you were wondering, it was the 29th pick (Tracey) and 39th (D LaCombe) for the 18th overall. This year, we have the 29th (projected) and 36th overall selections, which the Ducks can use to move up into the teens if a team is willing to trade down.

It's 2020 and we're still waiting for Steel, Jones, and Comtois at the NHL level to shine. Troy Terry was selected in 2015 and we're still waiting for him too. The draft is a crap shoot. After Zegras, Terry is the highest rated prospect we have and he was a 5th round draft pick. We're hoping that Zegras can make the NHL jump and shine.

Can you imagine if Zegras does stick at center at the NHL level, bookened with Rakell and Silf? Scorer on one side with a sniper on the other.

This notion of accelerating the rebuild by getting rid of known product talent (which we lack at the forward positions) with a prospect that we won't see for a year or three, minimum, doesn't feel like an acceleration to relevancy, but to mediocrity to make sure we finish at the bottom of the league for a few years.

Reactions: DuckRogers10

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Trading for proven talent is costly. We did that to acquire C Kelser and F Eaves. Unfortunately, both players couldn't finish out their contracts to due serious injuries that ended their careers. I like the trade deadline acquisitions of D Djoos, F Heinen, and F Milano. I intrigued with the FA acquisition of D Curran from across the pond. Then we signed Zegras out of college because... Zegras.

It's our defense rebuild that I am excited about it, which Bob isn't getting credit for creating.

2019 Starting D
Lindholm-Manson
Guhle-Fowler
Larsson-Holzer
MDZ​

2020 Starting D (potentially)
Lindholm-Manson
Fowler-Gudbranson
Djoos-Curran

Hakanpaa​

That's essentially trading for veterans in place of unproven prospects. That's a plus, isn't it?

We know Gudz and Djoos have played well within our system. Curran is a scoring threat from across the pond. Hakanpaa is a tall, physical, stay-at-home RHD. We have far better depth going into 2020 than we did going into 2019 with our defense. And Fowler gets to stay on the left side! Why are we expected to make a bold move that will prove costly to us when we're still in a transition/rebuild phase? Gudz and Djoos are a far better upgrade to Guhle-Larsson. Then tack on #2 SHL scorer with Curran onto our anemic PP unit and who knows what can happen.

Murray isn't afraid of big trades (see Kesler, Eaves) when the rest of his roster is capable to absorb a bold trade. Murray is a tinkerer, though, and believes his team can make the playoffs, year in and year out.

We've been trading assets to acquire a second first round pick since 2016. G Andersen trade netted us 2016 1st (C Steel) and 2017 2nd (F Comtois). D Montour trade returned prospect D Guhle and 2019 1st (LW Tracey). F Kase trade returned C Backes (salary dump), prospect RHD Andersson, and 2020 1st (TBD). Murray was close to pulling a trigger last year to land C Peyton Krebs with Dallas at pick 18, but he was selected before at pick 17 by Vegas. (Boo!) If you were wondering, it was the 29th pick (Tracey) and 39th (D LaCombe) for the 18th overall. This year, we have the 29th (projected) and 36th overall selections, which the Ducks can use to move up into the teens if a team is willing to trade down.

It's 2020 and we're still waiting for Steel, Jones, and Comtois at the NHL level to shine. Troy Terry was selected in 2015 and we're still waiting for him too. The draft is a crap shoot. After Zegras, Terry is the highest rated prospect we have and he was a 5th round draft pick. We're hoping that Zegras can make the NHL jump and shine.

Can you imagine if Zegras does stick at center at the NHL level, bookened with Rakell and Silf? Scorer on one side with a sniper on the other.

This notion of accelerating the rebuild by getting rid of known product talent (which we lack at the forward positions) with a prospect that we won't see for a year or three, minimum, doesn't feel like an acceleration to relevancy, but to mediocrity to make sure we finish at the bottom of the league for a few years.

You think they will try to sneak both Larsson and Guhle through waivers? It's possible but I don't see both being waived.

In terms of managing assets - if everyone is healthy I think the two D sent down to start would be Curran (who I believe is waiver exempt this year but I may be wrong) and Hakanpaa who seems more likely to clear.

Reactions: robbieboy3686

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
You think they will try to sneak both Larsson and Guhle through waivers? It's possible but I don't see both being waived.

In terms of managing assets - if everyone is healthy I think the two D sent down to start would be Curran (who I believe is waiver exempt this year but I may be wrong) and Hakanpaa who seems more likely to clear.

It's the Sprong situation all over again.

As others have mentioned, it's easier to sneak players are the beginning of the season as each team is focused on whittling down their NHL roster. Guhle was terrible after a good start with us (I think he lost confidence). Larsson is a good bottom pairing defenseman. So we may push Hakanpaa down and keep Curran up in the NHL. Problem with that is Larsson will be rotating as a bottom pairing defenseman, which means he'll be a healthy scratch often. That's his present future.

I'm just glad to have this problem, tbh. We have competition. If Curran and Hakanpaa beat out Larsson and Guhle at the start of the season, then good for us. Isn't that good for us? Sure, it may be a risk of asset management, but if our aim are to put out the best product on the ice, then I'm okay with that. Am I concerned about losing a bottom pairing defenseman? Not really. Right now, Larsson and Guhle are bottom pairing defensemen. Djoos is a bottom pairing defenseman only because we have a set top-4 of Lindholm-Manson and Fowler-Gudz going into this season. The only two blue line roster spots available are #6 and #7, who may be rotating ice time.

A team has to waive one of its defenseman (or forward if they want to go skeleton defense) to pick up Guhle. I don't see a team doing that. Larsson is the prospect who may have the highest potentiality of being picked up. He's still a prospect to us, which means he's kind of an unknown to the rest of the NHL.

Djoos played 45 games at AHL Hersey last year. Last year, he didn't get his first NHL until Dec 27th, 2019 and that NHL stint lasted two games until we traded for him. Which means he started the NHL down in the AHL and he was sent back down again after his two game stint in December without anyone picking him up, including us! Djoos was 25 years of age to start the season last year. I wanted to use Djoos as a perfect example that we might be overhyping our prospects. Can Larsson man the PP? Nope, but Djoos can for us.

Last year, Guhle was the 2nd pairing defenseman with Fowler playing the right side and Larsson our third pairing defenseman on the left side. ::: shuddering ::: We're not going to be gifting away NHL roster spots for our blue line going into this season. We have only #6 and #7 available between five players: Curran, Larsson, Hakanpaa, Guhle, and Mahura. Anyway you look at it, that's a win for us! Add on to that prospects LaCombe and Thrun got praises for their rookie play in the NCAA along with getting RHD prospect Andersson coming to the AHL means Murray bought us time with the additions of Gudbranson and Djoos during the season.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Rossi or Raymond pls followed closely by perfetti and Sanderson

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Do you think Rossi or Raymond can start playing right away or will it be a season or two?
Ducks shouldn't be rushing their 2020 draft pick into the NHL imo, that may not only hurt their draft position for 2021 but also hurt the development of the player.
Raymond for sure is gonna need at least 1 more year in the SHL/AHL & could be 2 years before he's in the NHL but once he's in the NHL he should be calder candidate.

Rossi could step in as a winger in his draft year maybe. At his age, size & speed he probably won't be a Center on a 3rd line when guys like Steel/Lundestrom are both bigger and faster. When a bigger dude like Comtois made his NHL debut, his physical pest game disappeared in the NHL as there wasn't junior level players in the NHL for him to bully around.
That same thing will happen to Rossi, he won't be able to bully other players in the NHL the same way he can in the juniors.

Reactions: JabbaJabba

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Do you think Rossi or Raymond can start playing right away or will it be a season or two?
The general understanding seems to be that Rossi will be ready to jump to NHL.
As for Raymond - the reason he even might fall into draft is that he's still raw and not yet fully developed physically, meaning he shouldn't be ready yet and might take 2 years of SHL/AHL.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
I think Raymond would be on a similar schedule as Zegras is/was

Reactions: Sam Steel

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
I wouldn't rush any of the picks. This team isn't competing for some time, no need to rush anyone.

100%. It sucks for someone like Getzlaf, because it means the team just isn't likely to be competitive while he's playing at any kind of decent level, but Anaheim really needs to do what is best for the team, and what is best for the team right now is focusing on their future and setting themselves up for a good one.

Reactions: JabbaJabba

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
@Hockey Duckie I'd really appreciate shorter posts.

In his defense, that was one of his shorter posts.

The Ducks have no business rushing anyone or picking based on NHL readiness. The rebuild is just starting. Unless we hit BIG or make a big trade to speed it up, there are probably 2 more years of hurting.

Reactions: Deuce22

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
With Perfetti gone at 4 and Raymond at 5 and Rossi been falling in mock drafts it doesn't surprise me but wouldn't they trade down if they think Holtz is better value, i mean if Madden thinks Rossi wont last at all at Center that takes value off of Rossi.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad