NHL Entry Draft 2020 NHL Draft Discussion - PART XIV [We got 3-5]

Status
Not open for further replies.

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
He's always good for a laugh. The virtue signalling about Steve Kournianos was hilarious.

Man, 2 weeks off and it's draft week, perfect.
To be fair it was a staff selection, 6 out of 9 had Raymond over Stutzle. Some people spend way too much time watching online scouting bloggers.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
To be fair it was a staff selection, 6 out of 9 had Raymond over Stutzle. Some people spend way too much time watching online scouting bloggers.
Monkey-Typewriter-Simpsons-620x370.jpg

A few of these guys with some advanced stats and other peoples draft mathematics formulas and rankings

Last edited:

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
This wasn't crazy a few months ago and I don't disagree with the DEL conversion concerns. There's been a lot of reshuffling of the deck in lockdown due to boredom. I would not be surprised if the 2020 draft consensus opinions prove to be even less accurate than usual.
The top 3 in a mock draft is set in stone. Anyone going outside of it is looking for clicks or pretending they're smart.

Sensators

Sep 15, 2009
The top 3 in a mock draft is set in stone. Anyone going outside of it is looking for clicks or pretending they're smart.

I'm not refuting your point but there seem to be a lot of resources with the top 3 not set in stone. As well as on mackenzies list not everyone had the same top 3 either.
I didn't fully listen to it but yesterday dobberprospects did their podcast about the draft and they did not even consider Stutzle in the top 4 and just put laf byf raymond rossi. I didn't understand it and to be honest the whole conversation they had I found very uninformitive but there was quite a few of them. I'm guessing some of them just didn't speak up, but none voiced any concern with Raymond/Rossi being the 3rd/4th best prospects in the draft.

From everything Dorion and Mann have said it does appear that those top 3 are set in stone but it's interesting that many other sources think otherwise.

Reactions: Frank8

R2010

May 23, 2011
Have you considered becoming a hockey analytics "expert"? Sounds like you're qualified for it.

I'm going to just say that this debate is always raging but like a combination of scouting with analytics is better than each individually. Scouts make a huge number of mistakes, analytics make a huge number of mistakes. If I only had one I'd pick a scout but we don't only have one and that's why good teams use both. The ridicule of traditional scouting by pro-analytics people and the ridicule of analytics by pro-scouting people is actually very similar to the debates that go on in a lot of academic disciplines.

Theory (scouting) vs data analysis (analytics). The end result is always the same - using theory guiding your analysis of data is always better than relying on one alone. Using theory alone is better than using data analysis alone for most things.

The better analytics we have - the ones that consider actually the theory of how hockey is played - are very helpful. The aggregate stats we get about shot generation etc... seem a bit useless for the most part. As a side note, most of analytics that you see in the public sphere wouldn't pass muster in scientific disciplines because you have to actually talk about and quantify the uncertainties which hockey analytics people rarely do.

As an aside there's a ton of literature out there on how intangibles like 'grit' and different character traits matter in building effective teams. The pro-analytics crowds ignoring that are taking part in science denial IMO.

Reactions: BondraTime

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Yeah, Eaves, Karlsson and White are the only guys since 2000 drafted in the 1st by the Sens under 6ft at the draft out of 23 picks. That is with 3 different scouting teams, though it's been pretty consistent with some guys there the whole time, others for more than a decade, and others coming on the past few years.

Safe to say that they like their 1st's to have size, also safe to say it isn't a necessity. If they like a guy, they'll take him.

The guys they have "tended" to like, have had size.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
Colin White's combine measurement was 6 feet even so you can take him off that list.

I think Dahlen and Crookshank are the only sub-6 foot players the Sens have drafted since 2012.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
And it shouldn’t be. Take the best players regardless of size. If Rossi is their best player they better take him.

The Sens just haven’t taken “small” (sub 6ft) players over the past 7-8 years outside of 2 or so guys.
My guess is that they probably don’t think Rossi has the skating to be an NHL top-line centre.

Frank8

Sep 19, 2013
I'm not refuting your point but there seem to be a lot of resources with the top 3 not set in stone. As well as on mackenzies list not everyone had the same top 3 either.
I didn't fully listen to it but yesterday dobberprospects did their podcast about the draft and they did not even consider Stutzle in the top 4 and just put laf byf raymond rossi. I didn't understand it and to be honest the whole conversation they had I found very uninformitive but there was quite a few of them. I'm guessing some of them just didn't speak up, but none voiced any concern with Raymond/Rossi being the 3rd/4th best prospects in the draft.

From everything Dorion and Mann have said it does appear that those top 3 are set in stone but it's interesting that many other sources think otherwise.

My favourite line from that was about Rossi, "he walks up and you're like, oh, that's what a man's thighs look like".

There were nine guys on that call, all of them have Laf at 1, Byfield at 2, Raymond at 3

Five of the nine picked Rossi over Stutzle at 4

Dobber's DraftCast Episode 9: Draft Rankings Top-100 Scouting Meeting

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
i've seen the future. we are taking a forward :)

Last edited:

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
My guess is that they probably don’t think Rossi has the skating to be an NHL top-line centre.
I don’t think they are looking at him for 5 either, but if they think he’s their BPA they should, and will, take him.

There’s no worries about who we take 3rd because it’s a very obvious pick for us. Gets interesting at 4 and 5.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca