NHL Entry Draft 2020 NHL Draft Discussion - PART XIV [We got 3-5]

Status
Not open for further replies.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I defer to his expertise and something tells me you can learn more by listening to others.
This is especially funny when you see his ranking for the draft and your stance

Draft Dynasty 2020 ranking

1. Lafreniere
2. Stutzle
3. Rossi
4. Jarvis
5. Sanderson
6. Byfield
7. Perfetti
8. Drysdale
9. Holtz
10. Quinn

I definitely don't agree with most of it, but you're using it as an example of why he should be ranked similar to Guhle

Reactions: Alf Silfversson

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
This is especially funny when you see his ranking for the draft and your stance

Draft Dynasty 2020 ranking

1. Lafreniere
2. Stutzle
3. Rossi
4. Jarvis
5. Sanderson
6. Byfield
7. Perfetti
8. Drysdale
9. Holtz
10. Quinn

I definitely don't agree with most of it, but you're using it as an example of why he should be ranked similar to Guhle

To be fair, Draft Dynasty is also pretty high on Guhle, i think he has him ranked 14th.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
That’s a pretty terrible list from draft dynasty

It will be interesting to see how things shake out.

A couple things about him, he's not a big believer in assuming Byfield's production will explode next year becauae his age, instead he thinks that because he already has dominant size the progress will be more subtle.

He also appears to put more weight on defensive play than a lot of other rankings. For better or worse, i think that's why he has Rossi so high along with Sanderson who he things will be the best shutdown dman in the draft.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
They're set regardless who they take, as long as they don't go completely off the board

I agree

I do think that if they go with an F it provides insight into the thinking on the current status of the D prospect pool

Sens72

Football Enthusiast
Aug 31, 2018
Canada
From Pronman’s latest mock draft:

3. Ottawa Senators: Quinton Byfield, C, Sudbury-OHL
There is a defined top three in Lafreniere, Stutzle and Byfield, and Ottawa will get whomever of the three is left. The betting favorite for that right now is the Sudbury center.

5. Ottawa Senators: Jake Sanderson, D, USNTDP-USHL
Throughout the summer, I heard Lucas Raymond was the guy at No. 5 for Ottawa. The two players mentioned most recently by multiple sources for this pick are Sanderson and Askarov. The sense I’ve gotten from around the league is that Sanderson has the higher odds, but I could see any of those three at this slot.

Reactions: NB613

Dingle

summer is gone
Nov 22, 2019
From Pronman’s latest mock draft:

I don't know if you heard Craig Button on TSN1200 this morning..Maybe it was just me, but he did not seem overly bullish on Sanderson.

Suggested that the kid is a good puck mover, but not much of a scorer.

Strange, I got a real strong sense that he would pass on him.

Anyway, the interview is probably on their site now. Maybe I misinterpreted.

Last edited:

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I agree

I do think that if they go with an F it provides insight into the thinking on the current status of the D prospect pool

Really? Even setting aside the possibility that they are a BPA mindset club and assuming that positional need factors into their decision, I think we need players in all positions, and with 3 picks in the 1st round we can still a high end D prospect at 28 (or move up for one).

I really don't think you can read much into who they pick in terms of the teams feelings on their current positional depth unless they go off the board, and there are guys at all positions in the range of their pick.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Really? Even setting aside the possibility that they are a BPA mindset club and assuming that positional need factors into their decision, I think we need players in all positions, and with 3 picks in the 1st round we can still a high end D prospect at 28 (or move up for one).

I really don't think you can read much into who they pick in terms of the teams feelings on their current positional depth unless they go off the board, and there are guys at all positions in the range of their pick.

I was only referencing the 5OA pick

My personal view is you take a high end PMD over a winger but I am somewhat thinking if they go with say Raymond that doing so might be indicative of their thoughts on Brannstrom JBD Thomson

SensFan1010

Dec 18, 2019
I feel like we are going to go for Raymond at 5 and if detroit takes him we will move back to 7 and take sanderson. 2 scenarios:

1. Laf Laf
2/3. Stutzle/ Byfield Stutzle/ Byfield
4. Perfetti Raymond
5. Raymond Rossi/ Perfetti (Picked from NJ)
6. N/A Drysdale
7. N/A Sanderson (Picked by Ottawa)

I do think its more likely detroit goes with a C though so i would expect us to leave with Raymond but I will keep my fingers crossed

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I don't know if you herd Craig Button on TSN1200 this morning..Maybe it was just me, but he did not seem overly bullish on Sanderson.

Strange, I got a real strong Sens that he would pass on him.

Anyway, the interview is probably on their site now. Maybe I misinterpreted.
Of course he would pass on him, he has him ranked 12th

1. Laf
2. Stutzle
3. Byfield
4. Perfetti
5. Drysdale
6. Quinn
7. Askarov
8. Rossi
9. Raymond
10. Lapierre
11. Zary
12. Sanderson

foggyvisor

Jun 28, 2018
I don't know if you herd Craig Button on TSN1200 this morning..Maybe it was just me, but he did not seem overly bullish on Sanderson.

Who needs a big scorer on the blue-line? A puck mover is FAR more important.

In fact, out of all the potential skills a D can have, I rate scoring as the least important. You can always find a depth guy with a big shot on the FA market.

Sanderson strikes me as a Redden, Bouwmeester, Suter type. A minute-eater and ice-tilter.

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
My god the speculation is so inconsistent, it just shows that nobody knows what the teams are going to do, and teams still don't know what they are going to do.

One day we're getting Stutzle, one day its Byfield. One day is the Jack Quinn train, the next day its Raymond hype train, then today is Sanderson and Askarov.

October 6 cant come soon enough.

SensFan1010

Dec 18, 2019
I think sanderson will become a great nhl player but i do think as high in the draft as 5 you have to go for the home run pick.

Reactions: Taluss

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Sanderson at 5 is really not my 1st hoice but nonetheless he would still be a great asset to have to build our back end.

They're set regardless who they take, as long as they don't go completely off the board, outside of Askarov, that would be wasting a prime pick

Agreed, they can't go wrong on many picks at 5, we all have our preferences but there's several players that are high end quality enough to justify being drafted at that spot.

As long as they pick the guy left at #3 (Stutzle or Byfield) and then pick up one of Raymond, Drysdale, Rossi, Perfetti and even Sanderson or Holtz, they're not really going off the board. Jarvis, Quinn or Lundell don't seem to be too far behind but we all hope that we pick among the first grouping above.

Too bad the Islanders did well in the playoffs (no idea why there was Sens fans rooting for them, their first dropped like 13 spots because of it). If we had the 15th OA pick instead, then it would have been much easier to move up to grab Jack Quinn at 10-12 for example. Now with the 28th, I don't see us moving up higher than like 20th, it would be too costly to do so.

Regarding Askarov, while he has intriguing potential, we could afford to put our hopes on Daccord, Sogaard, Hogberg, Mandolese and Gustavsson. You pretty much only need 1 of them to succeed. Young goalies are really hard to predict and they peak older than skaters so one of them could be as Askarov, or at least close. That is why we should really focus on skaters. If the 5 of them bust (unlikely), then there's many other options to find a good goalie and they are less costly than acquire skaters.

Last edited:

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I was only referencing the 5OA pick

My personal view is you take a high end PMD over a winger but I am somewhat thinking if they go with say Raymond that doing so might be indicative of their thoughts on Brannstrom JBD Thomson

Yeah, i understood what you meant, not sure i agree but its a fair point.

Imo, we have 2 guys on the roster that are on the level of what we hope for out of 5th OA, Tkachuk and Chabot. We are certainly adding another at 3 OA up front, but there are 2x as many forward spots on a roster so a 2 to 1 ratio imo is even in terms of depth.

All the other guys, be it Brannstrom, JBD, Thomson or Batherson, Norris, Brown, Pinto, ect are in a different class and to me a seperate discussion from 5th OA.

Obviously thats just my opinion on the matter, and plenty of people will view things differently, but it's why i won't read into the selection myself.

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
I took Dorion's statement last week about Sanderson to imply they were passing on him...but I could've just been reading too much into it. Just the way he phrased it, implying that wherever Sanderson falls to he's sure he'll be a good NHL player some day. Maybe that was posturing...but I'd be surprised to see them take a player like that at 5 with the forwards left on the table.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad