NHL Entry Draft 2020 NHL Draft Discussion - PART XIV [We got 3-5]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emerica

May 29, 2010
Kings insider Jonathan Davis said on NHL radio that the Kings are going to select Stutzle.
Someone needs to check on this lunatic Kings fan that can't keep the Senators name out his mouth on the main Prospect Board. He's probably having an anxiety attack as we speak.

Reactions: DJB

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Go back to the Draft Dynasty scouting video: On at least 3 separations occasions, the narrator emphasized that Sanderson is not likely to become an "offensive juggernaut". That said, I believe Sanderson is over-priced right now. You can get a very similar player in Kaiden Guhle with a 20-something pick. Guhle also provides a size advantage.

For what it's worth, Draft Dynasty is one of the lists he shot up. At the time he made the Sanderson video, he was saying he had him maybe breaking into the top 10. By the time he released his final rankings, he had Sanderson 5th OA. Said that early in the year, he was playing safe but started taking more risks as the year went on, said the offensive upside is going to come.

Reactions: MrCraigAnderson

IlTerrifico

Oct 24, 2016
Just heard Kypreos talking to Doug MacLean about how he's hearing rumours that Melnyk wants Askarov at #5. What an organization :laugh:

Makes sense in that if you are too cheap to finance a competitive roster, your one hope is squeeking into the playoffs and have your goalie save 59 out of 60 every night.

At the very least it gives you a shot at the Cost Per Point Championship.

Reactions: L'Aveuglette

Frank8

Sep 19, 2013
I think he’s a 7-9 guy. It’s the ones who have him top 3 or 4 who are wrong IMO
Top OHL draft-eligible seasons (per-game) over the last 10 years:
• Connor McDavid 2.55
• Marco Rossi 2.14
• Mitch Marner 2.00
• Dylan Strome 1.90
• Matthew Tkachuk 1.88
• Taylor Hall 1.86
• Quinton Byfield 1.82
• Cole Perfetti 1.82

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
Top OHL draft-eligible seasons (per-game) over the last 10 years:
• Connor McDavid 2.55
• Marco Rossi 2.14
• Mitch Marner 2.00
• Dylan Strome 1.90
• Matthew Tkachuk 1.88
• Taylor Hall 1.86
• Quinton Byfield 1.82
• Cole Perfetti 1.82
Guess he should go above Byfield then

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Exactly.

Passing on a BPA because the following draft is perceived to be strong at the same position is completely dumb.

Did SJ expect to be in the bottom 3 this year? No! And who's to say where the Sens pick next year or if any of those top dmen are available? Maybe a F is BPA then what? Pass on the BPA again?

Its nonsensical and thats why the Sens will go BPA every time.

Awesome! Rossi at #5 let's goooooo!

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
Maybe he would have a point :sarcasm:

That must not have gone over well with their scouts. Then again I do not have any inside knowledge on what goes on within each team's circle on draft day and how often this type of situation occurs. It is possible that scouts and GM's debate hard over who to select and I suppose there are times where the GM goes with his scouts selection or decides to overrule (especially if there is pressure from ownership).

Either way it is not as if Duchene would have been a bust or anything, who knows how he would have turned out in Tampa Bay?

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown
It's the same story @ centre. If it's Byfield/Stutzle with pick 3, then we should have a plan to move Logan Brown. Norris and Pinto - arguably both are better than Brown - can handily back up the new #1 centre. What to do with Colin White is another story altogether. In my view, White is one of the worst first round picks that Ottawa has made in recent memory. I would eat half his contract just to unload him.

Holy crap this is a terrible post. Talk about counting your chickens before they've hatched. Maybe see what the #3 pick looks like at the NHL level before moving prospects out to make room for them?

Pinto has yet to prove ANYTHING at the pro level but he's arguably better than a guy who was over a PPG in the AHL this year?

White had a bad sophomore season after getting injured early in the year. But anyone who has followed the NHL for a long time knows that's not uncommon. But he put up 6 points in his last 5 games and was a +4. Eating half his contract is just stupid. Especially since they can buy him out for a lot less than that next off-season.

God Flower

Somebody hold me
Dec 19, 2008
Ottawa
Askarov is just a red herring, don't think there is a chance the Sens are interested in using this kind of draft capital on another goalie.

The comments from Kypreos and MaClean should be taken as though they came from Kypreos and MaClean, neither guy has proven to be reliable, the opposite in fact

I completely agree with all of this. A quote from Trent Mann, Ottawa Senator's Chief Scout, on the radio show "The Dive" on TSN 1200, when asked about the organization's philosophy on drafting goalies and how they evaluate them:

"Right now, with the Ottawa Senators, I think our goaltending is in the best spot, from a young goalie perspective, in a long long time. I think there are plenty of goalies in-house with plenty of upside, so we're happy with where we are."

There's no way they take Askarov with their 2nd pick. We have 5 young goalies, under the age of 26, in various stages of development in the pipeline already. Why add another when we have gaping holes in other areas? I think we're looking at Raymond at #5 and if he happens to be gone after Detroit picks, then Sanderson is Plan B.

JungleBeat

Sep 10, 2016
Canada
That must not have gone over well with their scouts. Then again I do not have any inside knowledge on what goes on within each team's circle on draft day and how often this type of situation occurs. It is possible that scouts and GM's debate hard over who to select and I suppose there are times where the GM goes with his scouts selection or decides to overrule (especially if there is pressure from ownership).

Either way it is not as if Duchene would have been a bust or anything, who knows how he would have turned out in Tampa Bay?
Tampa Bay’s scouting got revamped when Yzerman took over. I like that the GM took things into his own hands.

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
You're comparing apples to oranges, or in this case, Rossi's 18 year old season to Byfield's 17 year old season. Plus Rossi was on a top team with lots of talent around him while Byfield was on a much weaker team.
Uh you know I was being sarcastic right? I have Byfield way way above Rossi. My point was the stats don’t paint an accurate picture.

OUTHOUSE

Feb 16, 2008
99 Rideau
Someone needs to check on this lunatic Kings fan that can't keep the Senators name out his mouth on the main Prospect Board. He's probably having an anxiety attack as we speak.

Ziggy Stardust is who I think you may be talking about. It'll be interesting to see his reaction if they don't end up picking Byfield. But you're right, all his posts are just flaming Sens fans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad