NHL Entry Draft 2020 NHL Draft Discussion - PART XI [We got 3-5]

Status
Not open for further replies.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Others have said this before, but there’s a bit of parallel that can be drawn between the top of this draft and the 2013 draft, at least abstractly.

MacKinnon / Lafreniere
Barkov / Byfield
Drouin / Stutzle
Jones / Sanderson
Lindholm / Raymond
Monahan / Rossi

No Drysdale, Perfetti, Holtz comparable in the top 10 of 2013 draft though..imo.

If Stutzle is going to be like Drouin I absolutely don't want him.

Reactions: NB613 and ijif

Answer

Dec 17, 2006
Edmonton
We need to draft Byfield/Stuzle and Raymond. Rossi and Perfetti are a big risk. Frankly, I don't see the being elite talent in the NHL. At least, Raymond has a chance to be like Colin White, worst case scenario

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
We need to draft Byfield/Stuzle and Raymond. Rossi and Perfetti are a big risk. Frankly, I don't see the being elite talent in the NHL. At least, Raymond has a chance to be like Colin White, worst case scenario
https%3A%2F%2Fblogs-images.forbes.com%2Fjamesmarshallcrotty%2Ffiles%2F2012%2F11%2FAllen-Iverson1.jpg

Shruggs Peterson

Mar 1, 2017
If Stutzle is going to be like Drouin I absolutely don't want him.

Well this is exactly why looking at a comparable is bad news. Either the expectation is unfairly set too high or it gives people a pre-conceived notion based on what another player did.

Reactions: aragorn

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
I guess because nobody else in the 2013 draft is a better comparable?

Not a great compatable imo.

I think there are far better comparables out there than Drouin. I've always been partial to Barzal and I've seen Marner bandied out quite a bit. Either way, I have very little doubt that Stutzle will be a far more rounded player than Drouin, and will be at least as good offensively.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I think there are far better comparables out there than Drouin. I've always been partial to Barzal and I've seen Marner bandied out quite a bit. Either way, I have very little doubt that Stutzle will be a far more rounded player than Drouin, and will be at least as good offensively.
Right, but the op was trying to compare this draft to 2013, so they were trying to find the best fits.

H2O

Sep 18, 2005
I am definitely not saying Stutzle will be the next Drouin, nor any of those other parallels I drew. I think Stutzle plays bigger than Drouin so it’s fair to say it’s not really a good comparable. I think the only similarities between them is how dynamic they are or their ability to stick handle in a phone booth and maybe their average ability to finish plays as the weaker part of their game. I’m just highlighting that in the abstract sense, the quality of prospects in the top of 2013 may end up being similar to the top of this year’s draft, albeit this year’s draft is deeper. If this was the 2013 draft we would be arguing about Barkov vs Drouin for the #3 pick. I’m sure many of us would prefer Drouin then, and that’s understandable at the time. Again, by no means am I saying Stutzle will end up being Drouin. I think looking at past draft can be a somber reminder that not all prospects will hit their projection despite how good they looked or how good their projections may be. Who will be the next Drouin, Bogosian, Dal Colle, etc? Hopefully no one the Sens picked with the 2 and 5.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I am definitely not saying Stutzle will be the next Drouin, nor any of those other parallels I drew. I think Stutzle plays bigger than Drouin so it’s fair to say it’s not really a good comparable. I think the only similarities between them is how dynamic they are or their ability to stick handle in a phone booth and maybe their average ability to finish plays as the weaker part of their game. I’m just highlighting that in the abstract sense, the quality of prospects in the top of 2013 may end up being similar to the top of this year’s draft, albeit this year’s draft is deeper. If this was the 2013 draft we would be arguing about Barkov vs Drouin for the #3 pick. I’m sure many of us would prefer Drouin then, and that’s understandable at the time. Again, by no means am I saying Stutzle will end up being Drouin. I think looking at past draft can be a somber reminder that not all prospects will hit their projection despite how good they looked or how good their projections may be. Who will be the next Drouin, Bogosian, Dal Colle, etc? Hopefully no one the Sens picked with the 2 and 5.

So your question at the end is a good one

Who amongst the top 12 (knowing PD has a 4 to 12 tier) are the more likely flame out candidates?

I get the idea of hitting a homerun but there's something to be said about ensuring a floor is set at a certain level

With all the hype about this draft, it will be profoundly disappointing to end up with a Drouin level player

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Head 2 Head: Byfield vs. Stützle

I think this article does a pretty good job of breaking the two down. I think Byfield is more raw and has at least equal if not more room for improvement going forward but the two are very close.. for 2/3. Tough to say who LA picks. Could be the German as others have suggested and it could be Byfield.. LA has been a heavy team and may want that Kopitar, Byfield combo (I would) .. They are pretty deep at C with their current prospects however.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
If anyone is similiar to Drouin it would be Perfetti. In the sense that they could dangle their problems away at the junior level.
Perfetti thinks his problems away, he sees plays 2 seconds before they happen, something Drouin can’t do. They are both very skilled forwards, one has a very skilled mind and one doesn’t.

Shruggs Peterson

Mar 1, 2017
Head 2 Head: Byfield vs. Stützle

I think this article does a pretty good job of breaking the two down. I think Byfield is more raw and has at least equal if not more room for improvement going forward but the two are very close.. for 2/3. Tough to say who LA picks. Could be the German as others have suggested and it could be Byfield.. LA has been a heavy team and may want that Kopitar, Byfield combo (I would) .. They are pretty deep at C with their current prospects however.

https://thehockeywriters.com/los-angeles-kings-stutzle-draft-byfield/

This article makes the case for LA picking Stutzle for the exact reason you wrote, the Kings are deep at C and the prospect pool needs help on the left side.

If the Kings have faith in Villardi and Turcotte to be their centres moving forward, the Stutzle might be the pick for them. It would be a very different looking Kings team than the past 10 years though.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
https://thehockeywriters.com/los-angeles-kings-stutzle-draft-byfield/

This article makes the case for LA picking Stutzle for the exact reason you wrote, the Kings are deep at C and the prospect pool needs help on the left side.

If the Kings have faith in Villardi and Turcotte to be their centres moving forward, the Stutzle might be the pick for them. It would be a very different looking Kings team than the past 10 years though.

Byfield at 3 would be fine by me. I just don't want the Sens to rush him in.

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
Sens will take Jamie Drysdale as the third pick over all and pass on Byfield. Kings will take Stutzle, Detroit - Cole Perfetti. Why would you take a risk and take Byfield when the next best thing to Alfie in Raymond will be still available ? Unbelievable hockey sense and playmaking abilities.
Yeah because there’s no risks with Raymond at all right? Byfield will go ahead of him without question

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I don't see the Drouin comparable. Stutzle plays more of a pro style at the same age. In junior Drouin relied heavily on his hands to go through defenders and create offense, it was a tough transition to the NHL for him because of that. Stutzle, though at time's he can stick to the perimeter, he has great timing and uses his skating to find lanes.

Shruggs Peterson

Mar 1, 2017
I'm sure this has also been mentioned, but the fear about Perfetti's skating is making it hard for me to want him at 5 over Raymond or Drysdale. The takeaway from the World Junior selection camp was that Perfetti couldn't keep pace in the scrimmages against the U-all star team.

Thinking the game at a high level is essential, but I feel less confident banking on a guy who scouts say needs better starts and straight line speed than a player that needs to put on muscle.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I realize that most here are against drafting a goalie early in the 1st rd bc of that voodoo thing & that there are some good players in this draft. However, when I look at the teams that are drafting from #8 to #13 most of the teams in that range could all use a goalie for their future team.

NJ has two picks in that range & I could see them drafting Askarov at either 7th or 10th, possibly 7th to assure they get him & other teams do not. Is 5th OA a stretch for this type of goalie? How important is a really good goalie to a team? How many goalies have won the Conn Symth? Have you heard it said that teams build from the net out?

Can I officially change However in these posts to HV in future? All in favour say Yea, against Nay? Happy Day After Canada Day everyone.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Perfetti thinks his problems away, he sees plays 2 seconds before they happen, something Drouin can’t do. They are both very skilled forwards, one has a very skilled mind and one doesn’t.

True, Perfetti plays with his head up looking to make plays while Drouin almost looked to dangle first then make a play.

But in the games i have watched of Perfetti there are times when he gets the puck in his skates and he is surrounded by three players, and he still somehow emerges with the puck. He's able to create a lot of offence because of this ability. But when ever he does this i can't help but think how that would never work in the nhl, especially with his skating and strength.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Lecce vs Udinese
    Lecce vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $100.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Czechia vs Switzerland