NHL Entry Draft 2020 NHL Draft Discussion - PART XI [We got 3-5]

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
I'd have Gunler with the top group as well.
Does Gunler usually/often/sometimes play RW? I know he shoots right but I was under the impression that he plays his off wing. Maybe I am just thinking of PP.

I wish Holloway played RW because I really like him as well. Imagine him and Brady together!!!

Position be damned, he's a guy I could really see us targeting with that NY pick. Probably wont ever play right at the top of your lineup but, given his size and speed, he still has an enticing skillset

Last edited:
Reactions: DJB

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Latest from the Kings Board
upload_2020-7-2_15-44-9.png

upload_2020-7-2_15-45-17.png

Reactions: NB613 and aragorn

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
Kings fans want Byfield, I just have a feeling Kings Management isn't as high on him.

I think (maybe pray) we get Byfield at 3.
Well Byfield said he wasn't interviewed by the Kings. They told him that they thought he was going too high and didn't want to waste his time. But what is odd about that is that the kings had the 4th overall pick and had a chance to win a top 3 pick. So the question is whether they were being honest and really felt they had no chance at him or were trying to politely tell him that they weren't interested in drafting him.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Well Byfield said he wasn't interviewed by the Kings. They told him that they thought he was going too high and didn't want to waste his time. But what is odd about that is that the kings had the 4th overall pick and had a chance to win a top 3 pick. So the question is whether they were being honest and really felt they had no chance at him or were trying to politely tell him that they weren't interested in drafting him.
I bet they are having a very close look at him now.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Isn't it interesting how different the fab bases of different cities are? It's not even close while here, it's much closer between Stutzle & Byfield, I wonder why?

Kings fans see it as Kopitar 2.0., left to be seen if their scouts and management see it that way.

On the other hand I think there are some questions about Byfield and how good he can become for sure. His game is based on speed and transition and he won't be able to freely run through the neutral zone in the NHL. He's a big guy but doesn't use his size much. He's still very young and will develop more, I'm not worried about him at all but Stutzle really dominated in international play while Byfield was very average. People tend to be biased because of that.

SENATOR

Feb 6, 2004
Ottawa
Kings fans see it as Kopitar 2.0., left to be seen if their scouts and management see it that way.

On the other hand I think there are some questions about Byfield and how good he can become for sure. His game is based on speed and transition and he won't be able to freely run through the neutral zone in the NHL. He's a big guy but doesn't use his size much. He's still very young and will develop more, I'm not worried about him at all but Stutzle really dominated in international play while Byfield was very average. People tend to be biased because of that.

Byfield will be availble at #5 pick. Would Sens take him? Byfield is vastly improved Brown with a superb transitional play and a great shot. But in the mold being a quiet giant like Brown. Huge risk as a high pick - big rewards. He needs at least 3-4 years of further development.

Last edited:

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
I think it's very obvious that Byfield is not the 2nd best player in the draft currently... but he has all the ability to add a dominant element to his game in a way that very few high-end prospects do. I think with Stutzle, you're essentially seeing him play as he will in the future. With Byfield, I think there is room for not necessarily more growth, but for a different type of growth. If he manages that (which I think he will with time and increased confidence), he has the ability to be a truly special player. Stutzle could be a very special player, too, but it will be in a different way.

Reactions: Sweatred

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
Isn't it interesting how different the fab bases of different cities are? It's not even close while here, it's much closer between Stutzle & Byfield, I wonder why?

Perhaps to do with the fact that we get whomever LAK won't and likely are bracing for either scenarios. Even though I have Byfield at #2, I am happy either way as both Byf and Stu are pegged to have franchise player type ceilings. Different styles, with Stu also successful as a winger.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
I think it's very obvious that Byfield is not the 2nd best player in the draft currently... but he has all the ability to add a dominant element to his game in a way that very few high-end prospects do. I think with Stutzle, you're essentially seeing him play as he will in the future. With Byfield, I think there is room for not necessarily more growth, but for a different type of growth. If he manages that (which I think he will with time and increased confidence), he has the ability to be a truly special player. Stutzle could be a very special player, too, but it will be in a different way.

I think that's accurate. I prefer Stutzle right now, I think his game is so well rounded that he'll have an immediate impact in the NHL. Byfield could become an absolute beast thought and could end up the best player in the draft so it's a good position to be in for us IMO.

H2O

Sep 18, 2005
Others have said this before, but there’s a bit of parallel that can be drawn between the top of this draft and the 2013 draft, at least abstractly.

MacKinnon / Lafreniere
Barkov / Byfield
Drouin / Stutzle
Jones / Sanderson
Lindholm / Raymond
Monahan / Rossi

No Drysdale, Perfetti, Holtz comparable in the top 10 of 2013 draft though..imo.

SENATOR

Feb 6, 2004
Ottawa
No he likely won’t, yes they would.

Sens will take Jamie Drysdale as the third pick over all and pass on Byfield. Kings will take Stutzle, Detroit - Cole Perfetti. Why would you take a risk and take Byfield when the next best thing to Alfie in Raymond will be still available ? Unbelievable hockey sense and playmaking abilities.

SENATOR

Feb 6, 2004
Ottawa
Byfield will be sleepwalking all his future years in NHL as Brown. At least I am 100% sure Byfield will make NHL one day. Brown, I am not so sure. And Byfield is no next Kopitar.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Byfield will be sleepwalking all his future years in NHL as Brown. At least I am 100% sure Byfield will make NHL one day. Brown, I am not so sure. And Byfield is no next Kopitar.
Chabot was also Brian Lee to you based solely on his shot, and Colin White was a wasted pick solely because he was an American we picked in the 1st.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Tourigny on Rossi "translated"

"Marco is the player, with Lafrenière obviously, who is the most ready to play in the big league," said the pilot to the TVA Sports network.
A quick glance at Rossi's statistics shows that Tourigny is not biased. Even if he talks about his own player, his figures clearly show that he does indeed seem to be a check mark above.
In 56 games this season, the young man has an impressive 39 goals and 81 assists (120 points).
Multiple qualities
Of course, as a good coach, Tourigny sees beyond the statistics. Besides, you quickly realize that his compliment chest is full when it comes to talking about Marco Rossi.
“Even at 5 feet 9 inches, he is extremely strong on his skates. It also excels in tight spaces. I must also tell you that defensively, Marco is in my opinion the best player in this draft. He is so good in his territory and that's what sets him apart from other talented players. ”
The 67's coach then goes on to say something very revealing about his assessment of Rossi's game.
“Marco is mature at all levels. He is very hard in his battles. I was lucky to see Nico Hischier play very closely, but Rossi is more advanced than Hischier was at the same age. ”
“No matter who the coach is, he can use it everywhere, no doubt. He will be able to win the coaches' trust very quickly.
"He only lives for hockey"
When professional teams scrutinize the different hopes in anticipation of a draft, they also focus on the players' personality and their habits off the ice. No problem on that, swears Tourigny.
"He's a very reserved guy. He's not a guy who talks a lot. He doesn't like the spotlight. If you want to talk with Marco, you talk to him about hockey or his country! If you talk to him about cars, movies or politics, you lose him!
"He only lives for hockey!" He eats, drinks and sleeps according to that! He is ready to do anything to be better. He is an inspiration to his teammates. The other players see him as a model. ”
Marco Rossi: «Il est plus avancé que Nico Hischier au même âge» – André Tourigny

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
Tourigny on Rossi "translated"

"Marco is the player, with Lafrenière obviously, who is the most ready to play in the big league," said the pilot to the TVA Sports network.
A quick glance at Rossi's statistics shows that Tourigny is not biased. Even if he talks about his own player, his figures clearly show that he does indeed seem to be a check mark above.
In 56 games this season, the young man has an impressive 39 goals and 81 assists (120 points).
Multiple qualities
Of course, as a good coach, Tourigny sees beyond the statistics. Besides, you quickly realize that his compliment chest is full when it comes to talking about Marco Rossi.
“Even at 5 feet 9 inches, he is extremely strong on his skates. It also excels in tight spaces. I must also tell you that defensively, Marco is in my opinion the best player in this draft. He is so good in his territory and that's what sets him apart from other talented players. ”
The 67's coach then goes on to say something very revealing about his assessment of Rossi's game.
“Marco is mature at all levels. He is very hard in his battles. I was lucky to see Nico Hischier play very closely, but Rossi is more advanced than Hischier was at the same age. ”
“No matter who the coach is, he can use it everywhere, no doubt. He will be able to win the coaches' trust very quickly.
"He only lives for hockey"
When professional teams scrutinize the different hopes in anticipation of a draft, they also focus on the players' personality and their habits off the ice. No problem on that, swears Tourigny.
"He's a very reserved guy. He's not a guy who talks a lot. He doesn't like the spotlight. If you want to talk with Marco, you talk to him about hockey or his country! If you talk to him about cars, movies or politics, you lose him!
"He only lives for hockey!" He eats, drinks and sleeps according to that! He is ready to do anything to be better. He is an inspiration to his teammates. The other players see him as a model. ”
Marco Rossi: «Il est plus avancé que Nico Hischier au même âge» – André Tourigny

Sick read. I really like Rossi, I think whomever drafts him would be happy with their selection.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad