NHL Entry Draft 2020 NHL Draft Discussion - Part X - [The Final Countdown]

Status
Not open for further replies.

SENATOR

Feb 6, 2004
Ottawa
Conspiracy Theory! Let’s have some fun with this.

We need to hire Julia Roberts to investigate.

That's the last thing in modern world to think that NHL has some integrity with 2% chance for playoff teams to win the first pick))). The first over all draft pick will go eventually to an American team with big TV ratings and big pockets. And who has more integrity then Betsky?
Golden shower boy, reality show star, mail order bride agent - Trump? Drama teacher, black face, silver spoon Trudeau? Biden - who stole billions from poor country like Ukraine through Burisma scheme on revers gas dilivery, where his son was sitting on kick backs? Or pension payments scheme artist Alan Eagleson? Betsky will be investigated 100%. Betsky with his selling the first round pick is like an innocent girl here.

mikeymac

Aug 24, 2005
31 Thoughts: Fallout from a contentious NHL Draft Lottery - Sportsnet.ca

Nothing groundbreaking but some Dorion quotes around points 13-14 in Elliots thoughts

Dorion said his “tiers” broke down as follows: Lafreniere, then two players, then players four through 12, followed by 13 to 18 or 20. Los Angeles GM Rob Blake, whose Kings will pick second, revealed: “I would say that we’re going to work hard on about four (prospects).”

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
No way dude he is a primo 2 way guy. You look at him now and he’s still just a boy but he has a great frame. Room for an easy 30 lbs without sacrificing performance.
hahaha 30 lbs at 5"11" they will have to roll him onto the ice.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Feels like LA really needs a dman and it is easy to make the case that Drysdale is BPA over Byfield.

We are well positioned to trade 2 and 5 with an agreement to leave Dry or Sanderson.

If LA trades with DET there is no guarantee we don’t take Drysdale at 3.

I could even see DET-OTT-LA doing a three way trade and allowing Ottawa to take Byfield, DET to take Stutzle, and LA to take Drysdale with some compensation from both Ottawa and Detroit moving to LA.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I think they take Sanderson over Drysdale & come away with Stutzle & Sanderson. Hoping for Byfield & Sanderson though.
I think its going to be the opposite, going to leave with Byfield and if Drysdale is there at 5 they will be taking him.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I think its going to be the opposite, going to leave with Byfield and if Drysdale is there at 5 they will be taking him.
I hope you are right, as long as they get Byfield I wouldn't care as much about 5th. At least we agree they will take a forward & a defenceman but they already have JBD & Thomson who are RDs & Brannstrom who can play either side. I think it might come down to how convinced they are in the defencemen they have & whether to add to replace or go forward if they feel they have a good defence already.

IMO the defence sucks & needs to get bigger & tougher & a couple of those guys need to be shipped out but I doubt they feel the same. It's why I don't want to add Drysdale another small soft defenceman but PD probably does. Should be interesting.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
I finally figured out who Askarov reminded me of and its Evgeni Nabokov in terms of play style and how he looks in the crease

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
So which team do people want to draft Lafrenière the most?

I'm all in on the Wild. A team I could see myself cheering for as my Western team with a good French-Canadian kid like Laf leading the way.

Reactions: branch

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

I'm all in on the Wild. A team I could see myself cheering for as my Western team with a good French-Canadian kid like Laf leading the way.

I hope the Habs get him... I know that's not popular but... It would be cool if he became the next superstar in Montreal and we got to see him play regularly.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
I hope the Habs get him... I know that's not popular but... It would be cool if he became the next superstar in Montreal and we got to see him play regularly.

Yeah, Laf landing in Montreal would work from the hockey fan perspective as I could obviously see him play live regularly, but from a Sens fan pov, it would be terrible lol.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Yeah, Laf landing in Montreal would work from the hockey fan perspective as I could obviously see him play live regularly, but from a Sens fan pov, it would be terrible lol.
He's great but we should be getting 2 star potential players in the top 5. There will be good players available thru the middle of the 2nd. We should have a good draft.

Reactions: L'Aveuglette

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008

Preference in order:

Columbus - would be great alongside Dubois, they deserve it after losing Panarin+Bobrovsky
Minnesota - would be lame but wouldn't piss me off
Vancouver - deserve some karma after dropping in every lottery since 2016, horrible fanbase though
Nashville - they are clearly a playoff team and shouldn't have a chance, but great fanbase
(huge gap)
Florida - hate to condemn any prospect to that wasteland
Arizona - would hate to see Chayka bailed out of his horrible Hall trade
Calgary - already have two top line LWers
NY Rangers - already lucked into Kakko + they get talents like Panarin/Fox for free every year
Chicago - already lucked into Dach last year and won Kane via lottery in 07
(huge gap)
Pittsburgh - would highlight the absurdity of this lottery system, but would mean more cups for them
Edmonton - would be 5 1st overall picks in 11 years
NY Islanders - would mean we lose out on a top 15 pick, still not worst case scenario though
Montreal - their fans deserve nothing good
Toronto - the worst case of all worse case scenarios

Last edited:
Reactions: L'Aveuglette

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I hope you are right, as long as they get Byfield I wouldn't care as much about 5th. At least we agree they will take a forward & a defenceman but they already have JBD & Thomson who are RDs & Brannstrom who can play either side. I think it might come down to how convinced they are in the defencemen they have & whether to add to replace or go forward if they feel they have a good defence already.

IMO the defence sucks & needs to get bigger & tougher & a couple of those guys need to be shipped out but I doubt they feel the same. It's why I don't want to add Drysdale another small soft defenceman but PD probably does. Should be interesting.
I agree with you they need more physicality on the back end but the bottom line is you just dont pass on a player like Drysdale. If they have to they can move Brannstrom/Wolanin/Thomson. You go BPA here and he is the best player available at 5 no matter who gets picked if he is still around. He could go number 2. Sanderson is a good player but he doesnt project to be a franchise d man like Drysdale.

If the sens can have Drysdale or Chabot on the ice the entire game they are never going to be stuck in their own zone. The forwards that they have are going to be big and strong so they should dominate from a posession stand point with this model.

Gargyn

Oct 19, 2006
Kelowna, BC
Interesting scenarios:

If LAK take Drysdale at #2, Senators take Byfield at #3.
Detroit then takes whom at #4? Perfetti, Stutzle, Raymond?
Then we take Stutzle at #5.

That would be GREAT. :)
Detroit’s scouts love the German league. Seider last year and rumours earlier were that they would have considered Stutzle at 1 if they won the lottery. No doubt they want him.

Gargyn

Oct 19, 2006
Kelowna, BC
Preference in order:

Columbus - would be great alongside Dubois, they deserve it after losing Panarin+Bobrovsky
Minnesota - would be lame but wouldn't piss me off
Vancouver - deserve some karma after dropping in every lottery since 2016, horrible fanbase though
Nashville - they are clearly a playoff team and shouldn't have a chance, but great fanbase
(huge gap)
Florida - hate to condemn any prospect to that wasteland
Arizona - would hate to see Chayka bailed out of his horrible Hall trade
Calgary - already have two top line LWers
NY Rangers - already lucked into Kakko + they get talents like Panarin/Fox for free every year
Chicago - already lucked into Dach last year and won Kane via lottery in 07
(huge gap)
Pittsburgh - would highlight the absurdity of this lottery system, but would mean more cups for them
Edmonton - would be 5 1st overall picks in 11 years
NY Islanders - would mean we lose out on a top 15 pick, still not worst case scenario though
Montreal - their fans deserve nothing good
Toronto - the worst case of all worse case scenarios
Does Winnipeg and Carolina not own their 1st? Not protected?

Que

What?
Feb 12, 2017
Mind Prison
My gut tells me LA will take Stutzle. Los Angeles is pretty close to turning the corner in their rebuild and I believe they will go with the more polished prospect. They have plenty of center prospects and you could argue Stutzle has the higher offensive upside.

I’m going to creep the Detroit boards to see what they’re saying but I’m honestly wondering if they’d take Sanderson.

I will say this though - I think it’s possible to draft Raymond at 5 and trade up the NYI pick with two assets to get back into the top ten and take Holtz.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
If the sens can have Drysdale or Chabot on the ice the entire game they are never going to be stuck in their own zone. The forwards that they have are going to be big and strong so they should dominate from a posession stand point with this model.
Don't get me wrong, i take Drysdale ahead of Sanderson, but if the goal is not being stuck in your own end i think Sanderson is just as good and maybe a touch better. He won't create the same chances in the OZ once there, but getting the puck back from the opposition and back into the OZ zone controlled are things he is exceptionally good at (not saying Drysdale isn't good as well mind you).

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Don't get me wrong, i take Drysdale ahead of Sanderson, but if the goal is not being stuck in your own end i think Sanderson is just as good and maybe a touch better. He won't create the same chances in the OZ once there, but getting the puck back from the opposition and back into the OZ zone controlled are things he is exceptionally good at (not saying Drysdale isn't good as well mind you).
Sanderson isnt as dynamic in any situation on the ice. He is the bigger, stronger player, more physical and harder to play against while having better straight line speed but he isnt better at breaking out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad